Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 08:49 PM

66 posts, read 49,154 times

Advertisements

I'd like to start an at home business, but have no clue what I would need or where I would go for the information.

I have a certain style of clothing I'd like to have made and sold, but I'd need to talk to a Tshirt manufacturer in order to see if they would do the work for me.

The style of Tshirt I want to sell cannot be found anywhere (I've looked and searched), so I know it would be a niche item. I just don't have tons of money to invest in my own equipment or building.

I would like the shirts to be American made.

I don't know where I would go online, to find the info, much less the companies I would need to contact to see about doing this kind of work. All the searches I have done online all end up being Tshirt print company's, not companies who make the fabrics and/or make the actual shirt itself..which is what I am looking for.

Any suggestions or constructive advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 09:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Small Business Administration.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:21 AM

374 posts, read 549,149 times
even with SBA loans you still need 10% down.

Is it just a Tshirt w/a label on it? Or a differently designed shirt?

There are label makers online that can create logos/labels for you. 99 designs, fiver, several others.

If it's a different type of shirt, then I suggest you get a sewing machine and buy the fabric and create the template for it. Have you actually made this shirt yet? Make some! Then bring them into little boutiques and see if they'll sell some.

Sell them on Amazon FBA (lots of podcasts on how to do this). We sell on Amazon too it's not too difficult, but Amazon def wants their cut

from there, THEN talk to someone about buying major equipment to mass produce. In the meantime, you need to hustle and sew it all yourself

Old 05-03-2016, 07:14 AM

37 posts, read 36,338 times
if it's regular t shirts just google wholesale t shirts. if it's a new/ custom designed shirt then you should be able to find a sewing company or seamstress that will make a small run of your pattern.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 AM

201 posts, read 237,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allison81 View Post
even with SBA loans you still need 10% down.

Is it just a Tshirt w/a label on it? Or a differently designed shirt?

There are label makers online that can create logos/labels for you. 99 designs, fiver, several others.

If it's a different type of shirt, then I suggest you get a sewing machine and buy the fabric and create the template for it. Have you actually made this shirt yet? Make some! Then bring them into little boutiques and see if they'll sell some.

Sell them on Amazon FBA (lots of podcasts on how to do this). We sell on Amazon too it's not too difficult, but Amazon def wants their cut

from there, THEN talk to someone about buying major equipment to mass produce. In the meantime, you need to hustle and sew it all yourself
This... Once you have samples ready, PM me. I can help you connect to investors and manufacturers.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:37 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Etsy is another site for personally-made products
Have bought some excellent, unique items from Etsy sellers but not usually clothing--
Have no idea cost to run a shop there

Old 05-05-2016, 08:01 AM

712 posts, read 842,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygenericemail View Post
Any suggestions or constructive advice?
I have had several 'at home' businesses over the last 30 years or so; all 'successful', for a time!
I have also played the 'startup investor' role.

tips:
YOU first need to PROVE that your concept/idea will 'work' (on a small scale) , and you'll have to spend your own $$ to achieve that (unless idea is so good that you get a patent first - but even that cost $$).

ANY good supplier or manufacture can get you what you want/need; but you have to pay$ for your order up front; it will probably be very expensive (small qty = inflated /unit costs) unless you are ordering thousands or tens of thousands of units. NO supplier can stay in business not covering their costs for dealing with small qty's.

You say that 'what you want to sell cannot be found anywhere' ;
To me as an investor, that yells ' THERE IS ZERO MARKET FOR MY PRODUCT; nobody wants it '.

So not only do you have to pay to create the product upfront,
you have to pay to create the market, up front.
Think really hard what this sentence means - especially the underlined part.

How are you going to market something that nobody wants?

Old 05-18-2016, 07:21 AM

66 posts, read 49,154 times
Apparently I'm not getting the issue explained the correct way.

*This is a Tshirt that NO ONE MAKES OR SELLS.
*This Tshirt is a specifically designed fabric (otherwise I wouldn't need all of this)
*I need a list of local or in-state, or even just USA companies who actually MAKE the fabrics AND the Tshirts, that would make a small number of shirts for a special order (all I find are print companies or wholesalers, not actual production companies)

I have a place to sell it, I know how to sell it, I know who wants it................I just don't know where to find the people or company to produce the fabric and the shirt.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:58 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,335,748 times
Write up a business plan. By the time you have a complete business plan, you will have identified viable suppliers. And, more importantly, viable customers.

I think a lot of people mistake "all my friends think it's a cool idea and say they would buy one" for "there's enough of a market here to pay off the initial investment in a reasonable time frame and provide a meaningful return on sales and cash flow for long enough to make it worth the effort".

If you end up spending three years of hard work and it returns you $2.00/hour, you may want to rethink your proposal vs. just getting a part time job.

Again, if you use one of the well established business plan templates, you will find out whether there's enough money in it to make it worth your time. After that is the time to engage with vendors.

Old 05-18-2016, 10:57 AM

497 posts, read 696,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mygenericemail View Post
*I need a list of local or in-state, or even just USA companies who actually MAKE the fabrics AND the Tshirts, that would make a small number of shirts for a special order (all I find are print companies or wholesalers, not actual production companies)
It's not going to be that easy. You will need to be the one to research all of this information. Start calling garment mills in North Carolina or some other state. Call the garment manufacturers' trade group.

BTW, not sure what terms you are using to search, but a simple search for US Garment Manufacturers pulls up a lot of info. Start calling and contacting these people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas