Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:15 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,125 times

Advertisements

Could the high amount of pretentiousness be the reason for this?

Dallas-Fort Worth, Deep in Credit Card Debt - Dallas News - Unfair Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
I think it could also be a high amount of out-of-state relocatees who have several underestimated how "cheap" the cost of living is here!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 PM

1,271 posts, read 4,023,125 times
That's a good point

Old 03-04-2011, 01:50 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I think it could also be a high amount of out-of-state relocatees who have several underestimated how "cheap" the cost of living is here!
I think it's a combo of the above plus hard economic times and a lot of $40k millionaires (who come from all over, including Dallas).

Old 03-04-2011, 02:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Could be a lot of it.

Young college grads already living a bit on borrowed money. Got a great job offer here and moved here since it is a great area to get started and they THOUGHT it was a low cost of living or "cheap". Came here w/ the good job but owing a lot of college loans and probably already had that credit card from college w/ the high interest rate. Running hard trying to impress and live it up and doing it all on borrowed money.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:30 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
Yeah yeah yeah, blame the transplants..

This story doesn't surprise me at all based on what I've seen on people's credit reports (I work in mortgage). Sometimes I can't believe how much people leverage themselves -- and it's seldom related to student loans. Usually expensive cars and lots of credit cards.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Yeah yeah yeah, blame the transplants..

This story doesn't surprise me at all based on what I've seen on people's credit reports (I work in mortgage). Sometimes I can't believe how much people leverage themselves -- and it's seldom related to student loans. Usually expensive cars and lots of credit cards.
Seriously, great response here..If anything sheer numbers skew this, doesn't matter that they are transplants. I think there is alot of temptation in Dallas too, with all the retail and activities for people to partake in.

BTW, the cost of living IS cheaper in Dallas compared to alot of places.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:44 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
BTW, the cost of living IS cheaper in Dallas compared to alot of places.
To a point. Problem is there are the vast amounts of people that relocate here with the "cheap" notion in their head. They are thinking that it's "cheap" as they can get a BIG BRAND NEW house for a lot less than they could where they moved from. Problem is they did not factor in other expenses. Especially if they bought the BIGGEST house they could get that was really far from their job. Things like gas and car maintenance for putting on all those extra miles from living further from work, utilities for that BIG HUGE house, property taxes for that BIG BRAND NEW SHINY house, insurance for that big brand new house, etc. Once you start adding all these things up it's not really "cheap". It COULD have had a lower cost of living, not "cheap", if they had paid more attention to the whole picture.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:53 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,269,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
To a point. Problem is there are the vast amounts of people that relocate here with the "cheap" notion in their head. They are thinking that it's "cheap" as they can get a BIG BRAND NEW house for a lot less than they could where they moved from. Problem is they did not factor in other expenses. Especially if they bought the BIGGEST house they could get that was really far from their job. Things like gas and car maintenance for putting on all those extra miles from living further from work, utilities for that BIG HUGE house, property taxes for that BIG BRAND NEW SHINY house, insurance for that big brand new house, etc. Once you start adding all these things up it's not really "cheap". It COULD have had a lower cost of living, not "cheap", if they had paid more attention to the whole picture.
I agree. I just don't think the transplants really factor in the other expenses that come with living in that "cheap" house out in suburbia. The ants can, and will, carry you away.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:59 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,437,430 times
I know several people (one family in particular related to my girlfriend) that used to be doing well (steel mill owner), but in recent years have been screwed by the economy....but they don't know how to live in a lower lifestyle so they continue to spend thousands on horses and beauty pageants for their girls, even though they can't afford it. Its just a refusal to live within their new means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas