Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 01:03 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
well blame that on the priorities of our society. Would the average american pay $75 a ticket to watch a cancer researcher? no. But that same american would gladly pay that amount to watch an athlete. I'm not disputing your thoughts, but that is just the values our society has.
I'd rather watch the cancer researcher to be honest. But I'm weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 01:48 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,707,699 times
Quote:
well blame that on the priorities of our society. Would the average american pay $75 a ticket to watch a cancer researcher? no. But that same american would gladly pay that amount to watch an athlete. I'm not disputing your thoughts, but that is just the values our society has.
They might change their mind if they or a family member ever had cancer.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 PM

469 posts, read 886,739 times
Dallas looked like sh*t. 4th quarter was embarrassing

Old 06-01-2011, 10:51 PM

124 posts, read 259,356 times
Quote:
You are correct. Having said that a PFC in the US Army makes $20,757.60 a year and MANY Americans would rather see him in action than an Athlete of any kind. As a veteran I can say that most of my career was hours of duldrums punctuated by moments of sheer terror, but if you had put those terror moments on Pay-Per-View people would drop mad cash to see that. Plus there is the fact that every American, even conscientious objectors and hippes, benefit from the work a PFC does.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:00 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,594,920 times
People in Dallas supported the Mavs in the 80s when the Mavs were good, did not support the Mavs in the 90s when the Mavs were god-awful, and did support the Mavs in the 2000s when they were very, very good.

People will support the Cowboys no matter if we go 1-15 or win the Super Bowl. The Rangers also got very good attendance numbers throughout the noughties when they were awful, but they didn't have any competition.

Apparently we also have a hockey team, but I don't really pay attention to hockey because I'm not Canadian.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofsouth View Post
You are correct. Having said that a PFC in the US Army makes $20,757.60 a year and MANY Americans would rather see him in action than an Athlete of any kind. As a veteran I can say that most of my career was hours of duldrums punctuated by moments of sheer terror, but if you had put those terror moments on Pay-Per-View people would drop mad cash to see that. Plus there is the fact that every American, even conscientious objectors and hippes, benefit from the work a PFC does.
I would far rather watch someone play a sport than watch a battle going on. That's just morbid.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:03 AM

Quote:
I'll have to disagree with you there...if what you say is true then the Cowboys are also a Dallas team, yet Fort Worth has no problem rooting for them...and speaking of the Cowboys...they havent been a serious title contender since their last superbowl win in 1996, yet support for them is sky high...that's why I say that this is really just football country and the NBA would be better served being in basketball country.
The Cowboys are America's Team. The Mavs are the West End's team.

Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
People value their leisure, and watching grown men play games exceptionally well is enjoyable to most people in the world.

I would pay far more than $75 for a cure to cancer, and the process of discovering a cure is definitely interesting, but it's not the kind of thing you can watch for a couple of hours to take your mind off your problems.

If we're talking about this purely in terms of capitalism, the players are drastically underpaid considering the amount of profits they give the owners and sponsors.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:32 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,496 times
Quote:
What a weird analogy. An athlete is an entertainer. A cancer researcher is working behind the scenes. Totally different.

And I'm sure a cancer patient's treatment costs a bit more than $75.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,122,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Love the Mavs. Hate the Heat. Hoping for a game 2 win. Return home and win 2 of 3, then return to Miami and have two shots to win title. Thats my hope.

Hope floats.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: