Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times

Advertisements

Well I think Cleveland is alright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 09:15 AM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
WOW...have you ever even been to my hometown? Well I thought you guys would have thought it humorous that Ohio's Governor signed something someone put on his desk honoring Dallas.
Metro Matt is not from Dallas nor does he live here. He is a jealous Houston booster. In fact, he is kind of like the Dallas forum's LeBron James. He talks a lot but has nothing to back it up. He is literally insane about any praise Dallas receives.

Anytime Dallas is mentioned positively he must step in to try and "put Dallas in its place." So the only reason he is making fun of Ohio is because they said something remotely nice about a team that had word Dallas in the title. He doesn't live in Dallas and never has (despite his contentions otherwise).

If it is at all possible for him to bring Houston into the discussion (and he doesn't live there either) he will. Somehow he will try to make Houston the real winner and Dallas the loser.

Example:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt
On a side note, at 7' 6" Yao Ming is 3 inches taller than Dirk Nowitski making him the tallest player in the NBA.
This is just sad. I don't even think Yao Ming would care to make the distinction. This wasn't a fight about who is taller. It was about winning the NBA Finals. So a guy that was shorter than Yao won the Finals. Who cares?

Quote:
I was watching Jimmy Kimmel last night & he was talking about the Mavericks win & showed a fairly lengthy clip of a bunch of gay pride cowboys parading the streets. People are not going to respect the city of Dallas & get rid it of its stigma over some silly basketball game win...sorry to crush your hopes & dreams it just ain't happenin captain. That shows right there how people in California & the media still view Texas & Dallas.

I watch movies like FMJ & often wonder how Hollywood comes up with that kinda stuff. Steers & *****s are from Texas, really?
Comedy on a "comedy" show? Who'da thunked it. Nobody (from/in Dallas) cares about this clip being associated with Dallas. It was supposed to be a joke -- not a documentary on real life in Dallas.

Quote:
I was referencing how people in general still perceive Dallas & Texas. Its not just the late night comedians & you know that Spade. Its the media & country as a whole. Texas has a stigma & as hard as Dallas (Austin in lots of cases too) tries to remove itself from an entire state it physically & psychologically in the minds of Americans & the whole World can't. While its wonderful the Mavericks finally won an NBA championship after their 31 year stint as a team, its not going to change anything really. The Texas jokes will still continue to flow like our oil & people will still diss Dallas. Its always been that way & always will be that way. If you're not used to it by now then I don't know what to tell you.
Winning the NBA Finals was never intended to change stereotypes of the entire State of Texas. The only intent was -- to win the NBA title. Of course it's not going to change the reputation of the state (although I think we may be one of the few states where all three teams have won the Finals). Who would ever think that winning the NBA Finals would mean we're trying to separate ourselves from Texas or trying to change the image of the state? We're the Dallas MAVERICKS for goodness sakes. Not the Dallas Blokes or Dallas Yankees. We're not expecting Dallas/Texas jokes to go away. If anything, I'd think they would increase because we're winning. You only make jokes about places or people you feel threatened by.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 06-15-2011 at 09:30 AM..

Old 06-15-2011, 09:24 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I'm a Spurs & Rockets fan myself even though they suck these days.

On a side note, at 7' 6" Yao Ming is 3 inches taller than Dirk Nowitski making him the tallest player in the NBA.
Dirk is 7' not 7'3"

Dirk Nowitzki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-15-2011, 12:14 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
I was referencing how people in general still perceive Dallas & Texas. Its not just the late night comedians & you know that Spade. Its the media & country as a whole. Texas has a stigma & as hard as Dallas (Austin in lots of cases too) tries to remove itself from an entire state it physically & psychologically in the minds of Americans & the whole World can't. While its wonderful the Mavericks finally won an NBA championship after their 31 year stint as a team, its not going to change anything really. The Texas jokes will still continue to flow like our oil & people will still diss Dallas. Its always been that way & always will be that way. If you're not used to it by now then I don't know what to tell you.
I don't care what Californians or anyone else thinks about Texans. Get over it. It's irrelevant to the conversation anyway because we are talking about the Mavs championship and again, it will be remembered for years if not decades because of the polarizing team they just beat. As a fan, you think I any other Mavs fan care what somebody says in a joking matter to diss Dallas?

BTW, I am use to it. That's why it doesn't bother me. It's you who needs to get use to it.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:06 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
Quote:
I'm a Spurs & Rockets fan myself even though they suck these days.

Once again proving Houston to be the superior city </HEAVY_SARCASM>

Old 06-15-2011, 03:21 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

ERROR! ERROR!! ERROR!!!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Im not sure why that even matters. Dirk is a better ball player. No disrespect to Yao Ming because he's really good as well.

Nope, not from Dallas, but I live here and I feel qualified to speak on Dallas.

Outside of Texas, all the cities in Texas are viewed the same (sans Austin). The only difference is that only Dallas and Houston have international name recognition. I travel a lot and do stints overseas with people in our Dallas office. The jokes bother some, but for the most part people just brush it off. I personally find it humorous the same way people used to ask if I knew any movie stars when I lived in LA.
You live in Dallas County & the far north end at that. Quite different than living smack dab in the heart of Dallas, say inside of Loop 12 or even 635.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Dirk is better than Yao only because he is healthy. A healthy Yao (LMAO) is one of the best players in the league. Who people consider the best center in the league today, Dwight Howard, would routinely get owned by Yao when they played against each other. He's good for 20-10-2 every single game.
You know I would clown your ass in a sports bar for making that foolish comment.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:00 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
You live in Dallas County & the far north end at that. Quite different than living smack dab in the heart of Dallas, say inside of Loop 12 or even 635.
Who cares? Youre splitting hairs.

Old 06-16-2011, 07:18 AM

419 posts, read 998,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Who cares? Youre splitting hairs.
By the power vested in me as a Dallasite and an honorary Ohioan, I hereby deem justme02 a fellow Dallasite with as much knowledge as anyone who has lived inside Loop 12 his whole life. He is vested with any and all rights, privileges and honors thereunto appertaining this 16th day of June in the year of our Lord two thousand eleven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas