Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 PM

91 posts, read 280,513 times

Advertisements

Hello ~

Born and raised in MA and deciding to take the leap of relocation and all signs point to Dallas.

Here is what I am looking for:

- Low Cost of living
- Reasonable housing costs
- Great schools for my son (he will be 8)
- Decent job market (I'm in HR)
- Minimal Snow

Having never been to Texas, we're planning on visiting to get a feel.

What neighborhoods do you recommend we look into? Housing budget is under $120k for 3bed/2bath.

Is there anything we need to be aware of as transplants? We will more than likely be coming w/o jobs initially, as it is difficult to interview from a distance but we have at least $60k saved as a cushion.

Thanks for all advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 01:29 PM

216 posts, read 344,312 times
Your best bet for a house under $120 with 3 beds and 2 baths in a good school system would most likely be in the Frisco/Plano/Allen/Colony area.

They all have access to 121 and the schools are good. (I can only speak from experience to these areas - I am sure others will chime in for other cities).

Also - with HR - there are many company campuses that have relocated to Frisco/Plano and there are more coming.

Good luck!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:30 PM

19,829 posts, read 18,122,835 times
Don't move without jobs lined out unless you have a substantial amount of cash.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:06 PM

690 posts, read 1,730,222 times
You may want to check out the career builder or any other job locator site to see about employment openings.
You don't want to move to an are and have a job on the other side of the metro. That would be a nightmare commute.
Get the job first, then with your budget and compensation you should be able to find some place
adequate for your needs and wants.

Good Luck

Old 07-26-2011, 02:45 PM

11,863 posts, read 26,903,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJoe817 View Post
You don't want to move to an are and have a job on the other side of the metro. That would be a nightmare commute.
Get the job first, then with your budget and compensation you should be able to find some place adequate for your needs and wants.
Totally agree here. DFW metroplex is larger than the state of Rhode Island! You do NOT want to be driving across it every day for commuting! Seriously: going from Plano to Fort Worth during rush hour traffic can take well over an hour! Rent, or do a short-term apartment lease for a few months, get a job, then decide where to put down roots.

There are many parts of town that have most of what you are looking for EXCEPT price. If that is all you can afford to buy, then you will need to stick with renting. $120k for a buyer will mean either a very small/older house, condo (which will not increase in value over time), or a house in a bad neighborhood with not-so-good schools. But $1000 a month rent will get you a decent apartment in most parts of town.

PM me if you would like an introduction at the Fort Worth SHRM chapter. They meet on the third Thursday of the month, and I facilitate the Generalist Professional Emphasis Group!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:46 PM

36 posts, read 88,235 times
I agree with RockyJoe817. You can check out indeed.com as well
Are you in IT or some other industry. Dallas and Austin have good IT sectors

Old 07-26-2011, 02:56 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,700,020 times
Are you single or are there 2 wage earners in your family? Can one come ahead and sublet an apartment and find a job while the other stays behind with the child and at a job?

Old 07-26-2011, 05:01 PM

91 posts, read 280,513 times
Hi Everyone -

Thanks for all your advice. I am the breadwinner in the family. Dh is a contractor but works sporadically as he helps with child care. It's a great arrangement. I assume that we would continue this arrangement in Dallas, too.

Christie - thank you for the offer to introduce me at the SHRM meeting. I am a member and have my PHR certification - working on the SPHR for next year. I may PM you.

I definitely wouldn't buy right away - we would rent for at least a year but our house budget would be $120k or even up to $150k. We don't need a huge home or a new home. I just want a "home."

In MA, there are no decent houses in neighborhoods that I would want to live in for under $250k. Personally and financially $250k is not comfortable for me to handle as a mortgage - especially since Dh doesn't have an income of 100% to contribute.

We may head out to Dallas sometime in Jan/Feb of 2012. Probably move late 2012 or early 2013....or sooner if a job prospect pops up

Old 07-26-2011, 05:03 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,271,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Totally agree here. DFW metroplex is larger than the state of Rhode Island! You do NOT want to be driving across it every day for commuting! Seriously: going from Plano to Fort Worth during rush hour traffic can take well over an hour! Rent, or do a short-term apartment lease for a few months, get a job, then decide where to put down roots.

There are many parts of town that have most of what you are looking for EXCEPT price. If that is all you can afford to buy, then you will need to stick with renting. $120k for a buyer will mean either a very small/older house, condo (which will not increase in value over time), or a house in a bad neighborhood with not-so-good schools. But $1000 a month rent will get you a decent apartment in most parts of town.

PM me if you would like an introduction at the Fort Worth SHRM chapter. They meet on the third Thursday of the month, and I facilitate the Generalist Professional Emphasis Group!
It's larger than Delaware and Rhode Island combined! Or roughly the size of the State of New Hampshire. I'm pretty sure that should qualify as a city-state (sort of).

Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 PM

11,863 posts, read 26,903,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinsMom View Post
We may head out to Dallas sometime in Jan/Feb of 2012. Probably move late 2012 or early 2013....or sooner if a job prospect pops up
I would strongly advise NOT moving your son in the middle of the school year if you can avoid it. Schools there and here are very different, and he will do a lot better to start at the beginning of a new school year (Aug 22 this year) rather than halfway through.

I totally understand the housing budget. The problem is that most of the "decent" suburbs' housing inventories are $150k at least, and if you can go to $175, even better. The neighborhoods will be kept up better, have less crime, and will be more centrally located with better access to work and shopping. Most single-family houses here are the 3/2/2 type, and average square footage is about 1600. If you do a little research here, you will find there are some suburbs that are MUCH more desireable than others...and the desireable ones are generally higher-priced...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas