Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:42 AM

372 posts, read 710,637 times

Advertisements

If your wife is going to be the one who is primarily responsible getting the children around, I would try to find a home closer to where her place of employment is going to be and you make the commute over to Legacy and the Toll. I actually do business over that way and lived in West Plano, nice area to live and work but much more expensive than Mansfield. I agree with this too, if there is a chance for her to find work around the Plano area or you can swing it on one income till she can find work, live closer to your work. Long commutes can be grueling here but I do understand that when you have to work and have the 2nd income, you do what you have to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:51 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
check out the areas along the Bush Tollway--that goes right into Legacy area of Plano and is the best way for someone making that trip
then find where the 287 State hwy is--that goes into Mansfield--as does I-20--just depends on where in Mansfield the job is--Mansfield covers lot of ground

the Bush has gone south of 183 and into Arlington and maybe the Grand Prairie area--not sure how far south but you could call NTTA and get update--even the NTTA map is little confusing

draw a circle around how far south the Bush goes--and check out that area
won't be the best for schools really but you aren't buying--just get top rated elementary school--Exemplary is #1--and frankly I don't think it will matter if it is GPISD or Arlington ISD or HEB ISD or any of them--for a year or so
until you get the lay of the land and see how the jobs are shaking out

I don't think commute would take going west past Euless or north past Carrollton and really the area along I 30 or I 20--you could use 360 to go north to the Bush

Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,927 times
Default Great ideas, keep them coming!

So far, the Valley Ranch/Las Colinas idea seems the most fitting. Taking Bush up to Plano Legacy, and her taking 160 down to Mansfield.

So, if we do that, and I get off of work in Plano/Legacy at 530 or 6, how long is the commute back to Valley Ranch/Las Colinas during an ugly rush hour?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:22 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfamily View Post
So far, the Valley Ranch/Las Colinas idea seems the most fitting. Taking Bush up to Plano Legacy, and her taking 160 down to Mansfield.

So, if we do that, and I get off of work in Plano/Legacy at 530 or 6, how long is the commute back to Valley Ranch/Las Colinas during an ugly rush hour?
In ugly rush hour, count about 2-3 minutes per mile between VR and Plano. If you leave the office at 6pm, that's not the worst time. So I'd say maybe 1.5-2 minutes per mile. I live in Las Colinas and its not a terrible drive.

BTW, wifey needs to do some experimenting if leaving from VR/LC. I would initially avoid hwy 360, and use the 161/(also called Bush) tollroad. There are also some back surface roads. I lived in Mansfield about 10 years ago and worked in Las Colinas. Now 161 goes most of the way there, but back then it did not and it took me about 45 minutes. She will be going against traffic, tho, most traffic is leaving Mansfield to Irving v. her drive....I am guessing it would be under 40 minutes for her. Since hwy 360 will be a reverse commute (most traffic, again, is going north on her south drive and vice versa) it may be a good way for her because no tolls and it now is a straight shot into Mansfield. Just needs to catch it creatively, if you move there come back for traffic advice....

Last edited by Squirl; 08-04-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 01:15 PM

46 posts, read 124,158 times
lol, all of this sounds terrifying! No wonder I was told in another thread that I should choose a place to work FIRST, then find a place to live.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:20 PM
6am

276 posts, read 271,393 times
Concerns will be pickup timing for the children. Most afterschool/daycare pickup by 6pm, some 6.30pm. Check for extended hours pickup if available . I've been through this period (infant through jr elem school) with my two kids now in their tweens. It was a challenge when they were younger and dreaded receiving the mid day pickup call because of ........... You will need to be able to reach them quick or work in a backup plan with someone around the neighborhood.

With your budget in mind, the apartments off Kinwest and MacArthur are great place to start looking, Apt feeds into LasColinas Elementary school. LasColinas/ValleyRanch or even Coppell are all great areas. However you might not want to rule out looking into Plano, might be a distance for your wife but at least you are within minutes to the children.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:00 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniMove View Post
lol, all of this sounds terrifying! No wonder I was told in another thread that I should choose a place to work FIRST, then find a place to live.

See, sometimes we do know what we're talking about...

Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
you just happen to have jobs in the far ends of the string...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas