Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 11:14 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,676,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A lot of people are friendly and helpful in dallas. But there are still drug problems in Dallas and sneaky types of people you wouldn't want to befriend or trust, I guess just like any other city. Dallas is a good mix of liberal and converative people but overall pretty accepting and progressive city that is also nearby other great cities that have theme parks and comedy clubs.

Cedar Springs street is the area for gay culture. Very fun place to hang out if you are a liberal or progressive person. There is even a large gay church in that area. As a gay person I feel pretty safe and accepted when I am in that area.

I think there are some very peaceful and beautiful areas of Dallas to live in.
I agree about the mix of conservative and liberal. My wife and I are fairly conservative types ourselves, but we like to be among all types. It makes for more interesting conversation at the least . While there are plenty of redneck types here, it's much more "big city" then the people on the coasts give it credit for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 01:25 AM

149 posts, read 474,022 times
thanks for all these positive, upbeat comments! can't wait till the time we can retire and move to the big D!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:54 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,596,369 times
You know, it's really nice to hear NEW residents opinions. You folks are fresh and know what people from your previous home state think of Dallas, so we get to hear updated info like this.

Welcome to Dallas!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:48 AM

24 posts, read 102,815 times
I moved to the Dallas area (Frisco) 2 1/2 years ago from Los Angeles and love it here! I echo all of your sentiments!

This is a great place to raise a family. My oldest son who was 15 at the time dreaded moving here but he adjusted and is now excelling in school and has surrounded himself with great kids as friends. He's decided to attend college in Texas after a year or so of expressing his desire to move back to California after high school.

He and my other teenage son have told us that it was a good decision to move to Texas as they don't see us stressed out as much as we we were in California. The quality of life IS much better here!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:32 AM

5 posts, read 13,838 times
Default Finding Texas

Well I have been perusing all of the information and have dwindled down my choices of places to stay between Dallas and Houston. I have a family and want to live a city that respects family values and those around are family orientated also. Dallas is moving up ahead of Houston...

I love to hear all of the positive reinforcement. Good Luck to all of you in future stay as Texans, I look forward to joining you in the next year.

Windy City's very own.....Looking to move on.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
You know, it's really nice to hear NEW residents opinions. You folks are fresh and know what people from your previous home state think of Dallas, so we get to hear updated info like this.

Welcome to Dallas!
Well, attitude certainly plays a part in it. I'm sure there are folks who move in here lured by the cost of living and have to compare everything to where they come from. They are guaranteed to be miserable. But at the same time, while there are things I will always miss about California, Dallas (and the state of Texas) have alot to offer in their own right. Thanks y'all for being so welcoming!

Old 09-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie De` View Post
Well I have been perusing all of the information and have dwindled down my choices of places to stay between Dallas and Houston. I have a family and want to live a city that respects family values and those around are family orientated also. Dallas is moving up ahead of Houston...

I love to hear all of the positive reinforcement. Good Luck to all of you in future stay as Texans, I look forward to joining you in the next year.
As others have probably suggested, visit both cities. We chose Dallas for a couple reasons. One, and this may be unique to us, is a stronger Jewish community. But we also liked that Dallas felt a little more cosmopolitan and yet a little more "Texas" at the same time. We also were spooked by the hurricanes and floods in Houston. We prefer tornadoes thank you very much . Houston is also a bit muggier than Dallas. Houston does have cheaper housing I believe. As far as family oriented cities I think you can't go wrong with either one.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,637 times
Default Jewish Family moving to Dallas/Ft Worth

Hey There,
Can you share your opinions on areas to consider living in.
We need to be within a 40 minute commute of the Arlington are, would like to be around other Reform Jews and need an excelent school district.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonrich View Post
Hey There,
Can you share your opinions on areas to consider living in.
We need to be within a 40 minute commute of the Arlington are, would like to be around other Reform Jews and need an excelent school district.
Temple EManu-El is I believe the largest reform synagogue in town. There are others around the Metroplex though. Given the non-institutional-centric nature of refrom judaism there is no "neighborhood" of reform jews as you find clustered around an orthodox synagogue where members have to walk to attend on Shabbat. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:43 AM

8 posts, read 25,634 times
Hi rb4browns!
It was so nice to read your post this morning.My family and I are from California also and we feel the same way about Dallas. We have friends that have moved to Dallas two years ago and they really love it! We will be making the move in only four weeks and we can't wait. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas