Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:10 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,722,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post

A few thoughts about the .45. I carry one almost all of the time. Without going into areas that will send the anti-gunners into hysteria - the .45 is an amazingly effective round. It does have a couple of important drawbacks. The ammo is heavy, the ammo is expensive and from an EDC perspective .45s that are small/light enough for daily duty have significant recoil. The yield is if you are anything other than a large man with large hands you might experience poor practice groups due to recoil anticipation and if you practice regularly your hands might hurt. If your hands are too big that presents another set of issues.
Would you happen to know of any .45's ideal for smaller hands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 12:21 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkonost View Post
Maybe the Glock G36?
GLOCK 36
I can't personally vouch for this particular model, but I'm a fan of Glock in general.
From the review "Unlike all other Glock pistols, the G36 has a single-column magazine holding six rounds of ammunition. Obviously, a single-column magazine requires less space in the butt of the pistol, and the grip section of the gun can therefore be made smaller. This is the major difference between the G36 and all of its stablemates. It is a significantly slimmer little semi-automatic and is well-suited for its primary role of discreet carry."

Old 04-10-2012, 03:14 PM

383 posts, read 733,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
Maybe the Glock G36?
GLOCK 36
I can't personally vouch for this particular model, but I'm a fan of Glock in general.
From the review "Unlike all other Glock pistols, the G36 has a single-column magazine holding six rounds of ammunition. Obviously, a single-column magazine requires less space in the butt of the pistol, and the grip section of the gun can therefore be made smaller. This is the major difference between the G36 and all of its stablemates. It is a significantly slimmer little semi-automatic and is well-suited for its primary role of discreet carry."
+1

But try this before you buy it.

I like it and I've leant mine to several people, some of whom are very seasoned - not a single one of them got on with it. The typical comment was 'big bullet, small gun, no, no, no'.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:20 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-G View Post
+1

But try this before you buy it.

I like it and I've leant mine to several people, some of whom are very seasoned - not a single one of them got on with it. The typical comment was 'big bullet, small gun, no, no, no'.
Yeah I wondered about that. But hey, I did put the disclaimer out there that I couldn't vouch for it

Old 04-10-2012, 04:27 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh19468 View Post
The downside is it can also start adding up cost wise, unless you happen to be one of those folks who does their own reloads....
It really does add up. I try very hard to practice with a purpose and make every round count so to speak.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:

tTagged for later - I'll try my best.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
A few things:

IMO small hands and a .45 might yield a tough situation. Given small hands one will likely prefer the feel of a narrow grip and often a short grip as well and assuming the handgun in question is for carry duty it will be small and light. All that equals a good deal of perceived recoil.

The yield of that is that one must test fire any of these under serious consideration with a few 15/20 full power carry quality rounds - not "white box practice ammo" - maybe more through each gun. Many ranges will have a rental version of many, maybe all, of the handguns I will suggest. Ask them to waive/reduce rental fees if you buy.

*Kimber Ultra CDP II Kimber America | Ultra Carry II Pistols
Good price new ~$1,100

Kahr PM45 (they offer several small 45s) Kahr PM45 - Style # PM4543, Kahr Arms Pistols
~$700 (?) can be more or less with option choices

Springfield Armory Compact 45 Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(M)® Polymer Handgun
Good price new ~$650

Glock 36 Glock 36 | GLOCK USA
Good price new ~$680/700

All else being equal if I wasn't a gun guy I'd strongly consider the Glock. It's easy to field strip and clean without tools. Parts are widely available and cheap.

* A zillion companies make modern 1911 style .45s. Kimber is my favorite.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:10 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
Talk about a poor username / thread topic combination...

Old 04-12-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Noticed that the other day. Hopefully, tge OP's not "raging" for real.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM

58 posts, read 109,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshi View Post
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Noticed that the other day. Hopefully, tge OP's not "raging" for real.
no guys I wouldn't hurt a fly unless I had to. I was a huge huge rage against the machine fan so when I sign up for forums I try rage but usually that is taken. So I started using rageman

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas