Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 PM

472 posts, read 1,098,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It's been a while since I heard a black person refer to themselves as 'African American'. I no longer use the term either. I say 'black'.

And yes, it's 2012...but unfortunately race still matters a LOT to some people (of all races). It doesn't matter to me and it may not matter to you, but it matters to enough people that it still matters, if that makes sense...even though it should not matter.
Agreed. It's silly to me and I guess I'll never understand.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
And yes, it's 2012...but unfortunately race still matters a LOT to some people (of all races). It doesn't matter to me and it may not matter to you, but it matters to enough people that it still matters, if that makes sense...even though it should not matter.
I hope, but can't say for sure, that you're wrong.
For my part, I'm way more bothered, when it comes to neighbors, about barking beagles and unattended preschoolers, than about 'race'.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:00 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I hope, but can't say for sure, that you're wrong.
For my part, I'm way more bothered, when it comes to neighbors, about barking beagles and unattended preschoolers, than about 'race'.

Hope all you like but open the DMN any day of the week and you will see that I'm right. I don't want to be right about this, but I am.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWithDallas View Post
Why does skin color still matter. It's 2012. Good riddance. And I recall reading an article a while ago stating that African americans didn't want to be called African American anymore.

I don't get the color issue still. We're all American if you're born here regardless of color.
Because honestly, I need to find an area that caters to what I'm interested in and as a Black American, a city must have a large presence for me to consider it. I don't mind living within diverse settings at all. I just want the city or area to have a large presence of Black Americans. I also do not like the term African American. It's two continents. If I knew the nationality of my ancestors, I would proudly say Nigerian American nor Ghanian American or Angolan American.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCtennis3811 View Post
Interesting read. As an Asian-American, I always found it interesting why people find a need to live in an area with people of the same skin color. I had grown up making friends who associated with things I liked and things I liked to do rather than making friends because they were Asian. I don't mean to incite anything, but I feel like constantly looking for people of the same color to befriend or to find areas with people of the same color in order to feel comfortable seems sort of like reverse racism. That's just my $.02, however.
I agree.
Race has never entered my mind on choosing where to live, etc.
Socioeconomic status has definitely.

Interesting point in this article - real estate agent tell the woman where she'll meet the most people she has stuff in common with and she dumps the agent and finds one who will find her a home in a black community. I mean, really?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Because honestly, I need to find an area that caters to what I'm interested in and as a Black American, a city must have a large presence for me to consider it. I don't mind living within diverse settings at all. I just want the city or area to have a large presence of Black Americans. I also do not like the term African American. It's two continents. If I knew the nationality of my ancestors, I would proudly say Nigerian American nor Ghanian American or Angolan American.

I'm asking this with curiousity, not in an attacking or malicious manner so please don't take it the wrong way. Why is that an important factor when considering a place to live? Is it just a personal preference? What's catered to Blacks specifically that isn't catered to another race?

Old 09-03-2012, 11:27 AM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
Quote:
I'm asking this with curiousity, not in an attacking or malicious manner so please don't take it the wrong way. Why is that an important factor when considering a place to live? Is it just a personal preference? What's catered to Blacks specifically that isn't catered to another race?
Sorry, Indians, Asians, Latinos, etc come on here and ask if there is a 'community' present. Blacks can't do it too? Everyone likes familiarity, even the white majority. People want to live in a 'conservative' community or a 'liberal community'.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:47 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
I'm not sure it's that hard to understand why some people would want to live in an area where there are at least some people who share the same cultural background. I'm black and that's not the highest priority if I'm looking for a place but many feel differently. And it's not just blacks -- it's implicit on this board all the time when people say they're moving to Dallas and will they fit in if they're gay, Jewish, Muslim, Indian, Latino, liberal, conservative, libertarian, atheist, whatever, and will they be able to replicate some of the things they are used to that make them comfortable.

It can be something as seemingly simple as finding a house of worship, the right hair salon, the foods you want, clubs with the music you like -- without having to drive clear across the Metroplex to do it. (We're also dealing with an assumption, on the part of many of the people who are posting about moving here, that Dallas is some foaming hotbed of bigotry, stuck perpetually in 1965. It's a mistaken assumption, of course, but if I felt that way about a place I was thinking about moving, I would be concerned about the racial makeup of the neighborhood as well.)

Old 09-03-2012, 04:13 PM

Did I say blacks can't do it, rantanamo? No.

So why is it racist for me to say I want to live in a white neighborhood?

Old 09-03-2012, 04:21 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
I expected this question. TrueDat basically answered it for me. For example, he brought up the right hair salon. Anybody Black in here knows that nobody can cut our hair the way we like it like a black barber can. I'm sorry, Koreans, Indians, and White barber cannot give me a dark ceaser or 1/8 with the grain. Or can put perfect rows in my hair if I had them. Or even twist my hair if I had them. I can live in Richardson or Lewisville for all I care. But I just need to know if there is a large presence anywhere in the metro area. This is why I would consider cities like Dallas, DC, and Chicago over cities like Seattle, Denver, and Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas