Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 12:45 PM

16 posts, read 64,867 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

In July 2012 we will be moving to Dallas Texas from Germany (however we are british)

So top priority for is a good safe neighbourhood with the best schools for our sons age 4 and 7 year old.

My husbands office will be in Corrollton tx. However he travels alot so near the international airport is good also.

Down sides to our wish list is our budget.. I hope to return to College and get my degree so wouldn't like to spend more than 1500 per month on rent.. (can stretch a little for the ideal place) would like 3 bedroom house... (not apartment as my boys are far too crazy and might upset the neighbours!)

Any suggestions on places where to start looking please???

I've looked at Colleyville and Southlake (rental prices are way out of our budget)

was last looking at Keller as I have read Keller ISD is good?

I have heard up and down things about Plano? so more information about that would be great.

also one thing I have notice about the commute from Keller to Corrollton, or Plano to Corrollton.. is the toll roads.. how much are they, how does this work do you get a monthly bill??

Please any useful advice to can give us would be great.. want to try and draw up a short list so we are not completely clueless when we arrive.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM

118 posts, read 252,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryff31 View Post
Hi all,

In July 2012 we will be moving to Dallas Texas from Germany (however we are british)

So top priority for is a good safe neighbourhood with the best schools for our sons age 4 and 7 year old.

My husbands office will be in Corrollton tx. However he travels alot so near the international airport is good also.

Down sides to our wish list is our budget.. I hope to return to College and get my degree so wouldn't like to spend more than 1500 per month on rent.. (can stretch a little for the ideal place) would like 3 bedroom house... (not apartment as my boys are far too crazy and might upset the neighbours!)

Any suggestions on places where to start looking please???

I've looked at Colleyville and Southlake (rental prices are way out of our budget)

was last looking at Keller as I have read Keller ISD is good?

I have heard up and down things about Plano? so more information about that would be great.

also one thing I have notice about the commute from Keller to Corrollton, or Plano to Corrollton.. is the toll roads.. how much are they, how does this work do you get a monthly bill??

Please any useful advice to can give us would be great.. want to try and draw up a short list so we are not completely clueless when we arrive.

Thank you
Look in Las Colinas in the 75039 zip code (north irving). This is in the Carrolton-Farmers Branch ISD and zoned to an exemplary elementary school - La Vallita.

Lots of apartments and townhomes in the area. Also look at Valley Ranch...parts of it feed into Coppell or C-FB schools.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2012, 01:03 PM

56 posts, read 76,983 times
West Plano is almost next doors to the nicer part of Carrollton but that part of Plano is expensive and $1500 can not get you a house there. As another poster suggested you can look into Carrollton's homes zoned to the FBISD.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:55 PM

207 posts, read 506,457 times
Look at the Carrollton homes zoned to Lewisville ISD. Flower Mound (Lewisville ISD) may also be a possibility.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM

899 posts, read 2,287,991 times
The toll roads are not that expensive (at least compared to some other parts of the country) but they are cashless tolls - meaning you dont actually stop and pay the toll to get on the road - you just get a bill in the mail. They sell passes you can put on your car to pay half the price on all tolls.

As was said, parts of Plano are not that far from parts of Carrollton - and you wouldn't necesarily even have to take any toll roads. For instance West Plano is pretty close to Frankford Rd. which you could take not that far west to Carrollton.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:28 PM

74 posts, read 237,835 times
Look in North Carrollton, The Colony and Frisco. There are nice ares in North Carrollton you should look at and Frisco isn't far from there. Frisco is safe, there's an IKEA, FC DALLAS is the Major League Soccer team for Dallas but they play there games at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco...being British you must love Soccer(football)..yes Beckham does visit time to time, great mall and shopping in Frisco with lot's of youth programs and good schools. Keller, Colleyville and Southlake are very nice, but a far commute to Carrollton in Rush Hour traffic. Plano is large...you would want to live in West Plano if working in Carrollton, West Plano is nice much more expensive, newer area, East Plano is fine but much older and rundown.

OKAY TOLL ROADS! Buy a Toll Tag from the Tollway authority, www.ntta.org for more info, you get the lowest price with a Toll Tag, otherwise you are billed monthly...they take a pic of your license plate.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:38 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Take Keller off your list. The daily commute to Carrollton would be awful. We generally recommend living no more than 20 miles form your work place.

Old 05-25-2012, 04:19 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Take Keller off your list. For your budget, you will not find anything in Las Colinas. However, I strongly suggest you look in Hurst, Euless or Bedford. This group of 3 nearby towns is very close to the airport and has a good school system -- HEBISD. Not too terribly far from Carrollton, either....probably a 30 minute drive if you take Hwy. 121. It is unlikely you will find a house for $1500 in Coppell but if you do that would be the best, best, best option as far as schools, near Carrollton and near the DFW airport. So, keep your sights on Coppell, but unlikely as I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas