Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 9,254 times

Advertisements

I’d like to ask You where I can find some more information about this program, some example of actual tests for 2nd-5th grades, some forums, some supporting pages etc.
I searched this subject a bit but without success so far.
-Lynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
this thread has info about the LEAP program
http://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...ms-dallas.html

this is when Momof2 is really missed--she always had good info for G/T programs

Old 05-02-2011, 11:46 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Good luck getting your hands on the actual tests that are given to students to determine if they are gifted. They do not publicize the actual tests as then you would have parents drilling their precious little snowflakes on it so they could get into the G/T programs that actually are not gifted nor suited for it.

We had one poster that was in CFBISD and her son was in LEAP. She ended up pulling him out and homeschooling. I'm not a fan of LEAP or the pull-out method some districts and schools use. I'm a huge fan of the magnets for G/T students as then the whole campus is theirs and not just one classroom segregated from the rest of the population. They are in a mix of people all like them and they then have more of a normal school experience and not the "oh, you are one of the kids in THAT classroom" or the, "oh, you get given extra busy work because you are special" kind of situation.

There are several outlets to meet other parents of gifted students. Our school district has a PTA for the G/T families.

This is not a great link but it has links to some other sites for Texas G/T parents:
Texas Gifted And Talented (http://achievingsuccess.net/texas-gifted-and-talented.html - broken link)

Old 05-02-2011, 11:54 AM

695 posts, read 1,447,570 times
My son tested for LEAP and did not make the cut. He wound up going into the ACE gifted program at the neighborhood school and it was a disaster. We later transferred him to the ACE program at a different school and it has been awesome for him.

Some of the parents of LEAP kids that I've known love the program, some think it's just a bunch of busywork. I'm happy with where my son eventually wound up because I feel he was challenged for the first time in his school career when we transferred him. I think every parent just needs to be willing to try new things in order to find the best situation for their child.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:31 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse View Post
I think every parent just needs to be willing to try new things in order to find the best situation for their child.
Yes!

Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Good luck getting your hands on the actual tests that are given to students to determine if they are gifted. They do not publicize the actual tests as then you would have parents drilling their precious little snowflakes on it so they could get into the G/T programs that actually are not gifted nor suited for it.

We had one poster that was in CFBISD and her son was in LEAP. She ended up pulling him out and homeschooling.
Its really a simple testing procedure- parts of the IQ tests and interviews. Supposedly a portfolio of work will influence the grading and there is a nice amount of one on one time spent with the child to guage his/her ability/performance. Frankly, it is amazing how some very bright kids do not get into LEAP while some seriously mediocre ones do. So don't hang your hat on how your child does with the testing.

I wouldn't sweat buckets over it or drill your little snowflake to ace the test (love that momof2) since all your child will be getting is being acclerated two grade levels. There are copious amounts of grunt work involved - worksheets, projects, etc with little real intellectual stimulation.

If you are raising a GT child there is a lot more you can do to raise a lifelong learner than trying to squeeze him into a school program that claims to be for gifted kids.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:57 AM

563 posts, read 3,743,451 times
And, by the way, ACE is very deceptive in what it purports to do. Bascially CFBISD has moved to strongly emphasising the Language arts portion of the curriculum. Math and Science take a total back seat. Ace groups barely get a few hours per week of 'accelerated' work in the lower grades and almost all of that has to do with reading. If your child is already an accelerated reader this program does very little .

Old 09-04-2011, 10:43 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
And, by the way, ACE is very deceptive in what it purports to do. Bascially CFBISD has moved to strongly emphasising the Language arts portion of the curriculum. Math and Science take a total back seat. Ace groups barely get a few hours per week of 'accelerated' work in the lower grades and almost all of that has to do with reading. If your child is already an accelerated reader this program does very little .
Yep, that's been my impression of ALL the public and private schools in the area. I've been arguing this on two other threads. The math and science curriculum at the top schools is not advanced at all - and it is stagnant, too, as it has not changed much in 30+ years.

I was ready for Algebra when I was 10 years old and it was not offered until I was 14 - and I slept through AP calc as a 17 year old. So, from a math and science standpoint, the schools wasted at least 4 years of my life.

The current AP tracks are fine for bright kids, but the top 0.3% need something else. Calculus is still just advanced arithmetic. For a kid who can think abstractly, its a waste.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:28 PM

136 posts, read 843,388 times
Completely agree !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Yep, that's been my impression of ALL the public and private schools in the area. I've been arguing this on two other threads. The math and science curriculum at the top schools is not advanced at all - and it is stagnant, too, as it has not changed much in 30+ years.

I was ready for Algebra when I was 10 years old and it was not offered until I was 14 - and I slept through AP calc as a 17 year old. So, from a math and science standpoint, the schools wasted at least 4 years of my life.

The current AP tracks are fine for bright kids, but the top 0.3% need something else. Calculus is still just advanced arithmetic. For a kid who can think abstractly, its a waste.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:33 PM

617 posts, read 1,042,036 times
A significant number of highly gifted kids end up going to a summer program such as TIP, CTY, TASP, etc... it can be a lifeline for those whose schools don't really offer good support.

Gifted Education - Gifted Programs & Searches
Telluride Association Summer Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Center for Talented Youth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Talent Identification Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas