Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2007, 06:50 AM
JSF JSF started this thread

2 posts, read 9,121 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone......

I will be traveling to Dallas in November. I have meetings in some of the surrounding cities (Garland, Arlington etc.) I will be in the area for a week. I'm a female and will be traveling alone. I'm booking my trip on Expedia and the Dallas areas they list are: Dallas Fort Worth Airport, North Dallas,
Info Mart/World Trade Center and Downtown. Which of those areas are the best option in regards to safety (not to sound snobby, but which area is more upscale?)

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 07:42 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
There are some very swanky hotels downtown, like the W or the Ritz Carlton or the Fairmont. DFw Airport might put you way out of the way of things. Infomart I wouldn't do unless you had business at the Informart/World Trade Center. Where in North Dallas at the hotels?

Old 10-13-2007, 11:58 AM

791 posts, read 2,223,381 times
I think the InfoMart or downtown would give you better access to your meeting destinations. DFW would put you on 635 to Garland, North Dallas would do the same as well as make Arlington harder to get to. 635 has a tendency to slow traffic at will.

Downtown has the West End which has several restaurants for your pleasure as well as good hotels. InfoMart would tend to upscale in that is where people 'go to market'. There's an Anatole hotel there that looks nice from I35. Both downtown and InfoMart would provide an easier access to Garland (US 75) and Arlington (I30).

I don't think any of your area mentioned would any more or less safe than the other.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:10 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
Besides the W, Fairmont and Ritz (check out Fearings Restaurant)

5 Star Dallas Luxury Hotels | Rosewood Mansion on Turtle Creek | Luxury hotels in Dallas Texas the best in Dallas and usually, the world.

Dallas Luxury Hotels | Hotel Crescent Court | Dallas Downtown Hotels & Spas mansion sister hotel in Uptown. Only branch of Nobu for a thousand miles.

Home The ZaZa (younger vibe - rock stars stay here), everyone parties around the pool area on weekends

Welcome To Hotel St Germain - Dallas, TX small quiet luxe

Dallas Hotels - The Adolphus - Luxury Hotel in Downtown Dallas, Texas (TX) (http://www.hoteladolphus.com/adolphus_home.aspx - broken link) oldest and classiest - #1 hotel restaurant in USA, the French Room

Luxury Hotel Palomar - Dallas Boutique Hotel Newer, less expensive but very hip - located at Mockingbird Station between SMU/Park Cities and M-Streets/Lakewood *not quite as close to Downtown..but you can take subway or taxi in just a few minutes.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:46 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,270,756 times
I would definitely echo Lakewooder's suggestions. The W is in a great new part of town called Victory Park with lots of restaurants and nightlife. The Ritz is a few blocks away. Hotel Crescent Court is across from the Ritz. ZaZa is across from the Crescent, as is the Hotel St. Germain. These are all probably labeled "downtown" by expedia standards.

The Adolphus is officially downtown -- and is a beautiful old hotel. Also try the Magnolia nearby.

Hotel Palomar is also very hip and close to restaurants, but it's about five miles from downtown on the DART rail line. It's still in a pretty "urban" area though. And I mean that in a good way.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:25 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,684 times
JSF, you may be confused by a reference to "Uptown", as opposed to Downtown. Uptown Dallas is an extension of the classic high rise downtown, across a freeway called Woodall Rogers. The freeway can be easily crossed on foot. Uptown is a pleasant urban area, is somewhat pedestrian oriented, and its surroundings are rather upscale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas