Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 AM

21 posts, read 48,215 times

Advertisements

Hello, looking for general thoughts on this area in dallas and alex sanger elementary located near there. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 10:40 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
It is on the upswing. New principal this year. Many happy parents at Sanger now. Try contacting the PTA to talk to them.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:16 AM

21 posts, read 48,215 times
great idea, I will do that thank you. what is the culture like for kiddos, is there neighborhood playing with each other type feeling for younger kids ?

Old 06-16-2013, 01:48 PM

446 posts, read 1,006,170 times
We have tons of friends in that neighborhood, all go to private school though, so I can't speak to Sanger. Or maybe that alone speaks to Sanger. The kids play out in the front yards all the time, there are kids everywhere, people constantly walking their dogs, riding their bikes, etc. This is the best kept secret in Dallas. We really wanted to buy there, but were on a short timeframe and the choices were too slim.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 PM

990 posts, read 2,303,765 times
I wouldn't call that area a secret.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:06 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
The parents who are most active have younger kids at Sanger.
Sanger's attendance zone is Forest Hills, Little Forest Hills (many kids from this neighborhood), Enclave at Ash Creek, Casa Linda Forest and the apartments down Ferguson. Plus, I believe, some apartments on Garland Rd near Sonic. You have quite a mix of kids and parents.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM

257 posts, read 550,321 times
We lived in that area for 10 years, loved the area, and we had great neighbors. My kids had many friends and we felt safe letting them play in the front yards and ride their bikes. We did not choose Sanger because the principal at that time really turned me off. He's been gone for a few years now, and if we were choosing a school at this time, we'd strongly consider Sanger.

The main reason we moved out of the neighborhood was the middle school and high school. Gaston MS and Bryan Adams HS were dealbreakers for us. But if you're open to going private for middle school and high school (or planning to live there only when your kids are young), it's a great neighborhood in one of the most beautiful parts of Dallas.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:18 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Somehow a lot of kids transfer to Long Middle and Woodrow Wilson High but still live in Forest Hills. Maybe it's an IB or curriculum (I know one who did it to take Mandarin at Long) for middle school, but the high schools have such different academies College and Career Readiness / Programs at a Glance it should be easy, so long as there is room at Woodrow. You would have to go through the application process, which starts in January and ends at the end of February or first of March.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
I really like the area and most of the lot sizes are outstanding(for Dallas standards). I honestly think everything north of downtown Dallas seems to really be on the rise as far as safety, schooling, etc. and even some areas in Oak Cliff.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:51 PM

32 posts, read 59,727 times
Sanger is a great school and is definitely on the upswing. New principal last year has really boosted morale among parents and teachers and people are excited again about the school.
There are lots of kids in the neighborhood....Forest Hills, Little Forest Hills, Casa Linda, etc. Most of the Forest Hill kids do not go to Sanger, but opt for private instead. But you'll find many Sanger families among Little Forest Hills, the Enclave along Lakeland and Ferguson, and Casa Linda Forest. Lots of opportunities to arrange for playdates and kids just generally playing in the street or at the park.

Middle and high school are the problem but many kids get into the magnet programs or transfer to Long and Woodrow with no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: