Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 05:02 PM

681 posts, read 1,672,376 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone?

I was wondering which gyms were the most popular and well known the the North Dallas area?
On my visit I saw many 24 hour fitness, and Lifetime gyms. Do any of you have any experiences with the Equinox gyms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 05:55 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
There are tons of 24-hr and Lifetimes, as you noted.

Equinox moved into Dallas about 5 years ago and has only a select few locations in the Uptown / Park Cities area. (I can only think of 2). I haven't been in the Dallas locations but I was a member in NYC and Equinox is very nice. Nice facilities, good personal trainers, great classes. I know quite a few people who belong in Dallas and all are Multi-year members so must be ok! It's a good bit more expensive than 24-Hr and Lifetime.

The Cooper Clinic in North Dallas (Forrest & Preston-ish, just south of 635) is fantastic and another pricier choice that's worth it.

Depending on where one lives, several of the YMCA's have great gym facilities and also swimming.

There are also a few independent health clubs downtown that have great facilities and are used by many who work downtown (attorneys, etc). Some firms get pretty good discounts at these places.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:26 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,023,448 times
LA fitness , 24hr fitness in that order. Costco sells 2 year 24hr fitness membership for $350 (It works out $13.50 per month plus tax instead of $30 per month plus tax).

Old 08-10-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
LA fitness , 24hr fitness in that order. Costco sells 2 year 24hr fitness membership for $350 (It works out $13.50 per month plus tax instead of $30 per month plus tax).
I didn't know that about Costco....$350 sounds like a wonderful deal for 2 years...

Here in NYC the high end gyms run close to $1000+ per year in membership fees

Old 08-10-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
There are tons of 24-hr and Lifetimes, as you noted.

Equinox moved into Dallas about 5 years ago and has only a select few locations in the Uptown / Park Cities area. (I can only think of 2). I haven't been in the Dallas locations but I was a member in NYC and Equinox is very nice. Nice facilities, good personal trainers, great classes. I know quite a few people who belong in Dallas and all are Multi-year members so must be ok! It's a good bit more expensive than 24-Hr and Lifetime.

The Cooper Clinic in North Dallas (Forrest & Preston-ish, just south of 635) is fantastic and another pricier choice that's worth it.

Depending on where one lives, several of the YMCA's have great gym facilities and also swimming.

There are also a few independent health clubs downtown that have great facilities and are used by many who work downtown (attorneys, etc). Some firms get pretty good discounts at these places.
I think Equinox has only 2 locations in the DFW area. My wife is a personal trainer and has applied for a position with Equinox in NYC, made it to the second interview with the gym manager but never got a call back, even though they had 6-7 openings and they were looking to bring aspiring trainers on board and help them get certified. I couldn't understand why, even though she had close to 10 years of experience personal training abroad, but it must have been her English speaking proficiency wasn't up to their expectations. But anyhow, since then she has gotten much better in her English speaking proficiency and landed a part time position at a private gym on Wall Street in Manhattan. Our plan is for her to get certified and get at least one year of actual employment experience at an NYC gym before we relocate to the DFW area. Hopefully by then her chances of landing a position will be much better. In the meantime she has clients on the side who she trains, so that way she can make some extra money on the side and help out with our household expenses.

Equinox, generally speaking, all though a very good gym with great facilities, trainers etc. has the reputation up here for being a snobby gym (snobby members + staff). With membership dues costing close to $1000/year, it generally attracts people who are more affluent.

Either way, thanks for the tips, once we relocate I have more or less of an idea which gyms my wife should shoot to find work with.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,172,355 times
Don't forget Larry North Fitness, a local chain with gyms in North Dallas, Fort Worth, and Houston.

Larry North - Fitness, Personal Training, Health Clubs, Nutrition, Weight Loss

Old 08-10-2013, 02:21 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritholtz View Post
Is there a contract when you buy this prepaid membership? I did not like 24 hr fitness because they were too pushy about signing contracts.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
Is there a contract when you buy this prepaid membership? I did not like 24 hr fitness because they were too pushy about signing contracts.
This is a good question. I say from experience always read the fine print in the contract and always ask about the cancellation policy. When I needed to cancel my membership at my local gym they made the experience hell for me, and gave me the run around.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:22 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I couldn't understand why, even though she had close to 10 years of experience personal training abroad, but it must have been her English speaking proficiency wasn't up to their expectations. .

Because gym management is not out to get in the non-white non-native market segment. A non-native speaker can bring in a segment that is nearly totally underserved.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
Because gym management is not out to get in the non-white non-native market segment. A non-native speaker can bring in a segment that is nearly totally underserved.
I see your point. If we're talking about the highest of high-end chain gyms, just come to think of it the staff at this particular Equinox gym was pretty diverse in culture and race, but the vast majority of the membership in this particular neighborhood are 1) Hipsters 2) gay/lesbian 3) Caucasian. I don't know if this matters but that day that my wife interviewed, there were 5 male candidates and 2 females, one being my wife. The other female was Caucasian and looked pretty hipsterish....so my wildest assumption is they must have hired her instead. Anyways, no biggie, my wife has found her way and hopefully will achieve the same amount of success and attain the same amount of clientele that she once had when she lived overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas