Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,020 times

Advertisements

Where are the best activities, social programs in Dallas for a child with ADHD and best school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 07:27 PM

114 posts, read 221,932 times
If you can afford it, Shelton and Winston.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:36 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaO View Post
I've heard Winston is nice.

Anyhow, dealing with an unmedicated ADD/ADHD child can be challenging. So I would suggest talking with a doctor about medication like Adderall. Then just find things that engage your child's interest like sports. Children also need structure, especially ADD/ADHD children. So set up some form of schedule and try to stick with it. As for schools, I can't recall what it's called but the State of Texas has some kinda system set up to help parents with children dealing with ADD/ADHD. It does things like allows more time during test and has the child set up close during class etc. So I would talk with your school councilor about it.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:46 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,864,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
I've heard Winston is nice.

Anyhow, dealing with an unmedicated ADD/ADHD child can be challenging. So I would suggest talking with a doctor about medication like Adderall. Then just find things that engage your child's interest like sports. Children also need structure, especially ADD/ADHD children. So set up some form of schedule and try to stick with it. As for schools, I can't recall what it's called but the State of Texas has some kinda system set up to help parents with children dealing with ADD/ADHD. It does things like allows more time during test and has the child set up close during class etc. So I would talk with your school councilor about it.
You can request an evaluation through the special education department. The evaluation would probably include formal testing, observation, teacher input and parent input. If the evaluation indicates that the child would benefit academically from accommodations, then an Individual Education Plan (IEP) is created at an ARD (Admission, Review & Dismissal) Meeting that would establish the accommodations allowed.

Old 11-16-2013, 01:28 PM

718 posts, read 1,390,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaO View Post
Shelton will not take your child based on a ADHD diagnostic , it is a school for dislexia ( some may have ADHD) only. The school has been very strict recently with too many parents trying to get their children there without any dislexia issues.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:24 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
You can request an evaluation through the special education department. The evaluation would probably include formal testing, observation, teacher input and parent input. If the evaluation indicates that the child would benefit academically from accommodations, then an Individual Education Plan (IEP) is created at an ARD (Admission, Review & Dismissal) Meeting that would establish the accommodations allowed.
Thanks, I couldn't really put it into words or remember the terms.

Anyhow, this along with medication would be my first steps instead of looking into a new school since we're already a couple months into the new year.

Old 11-16-2013, 03:37 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,864,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Thanks, I couldn't really put it into words or remember the terms.

Anyhow, this along with medication would be my first steps instead of looking into a new school since we're already a couple months into the new year.
You are welcome. I could tell that you knew.

From all that I have read, nothing is better for ADHD than the proper medication. After that, it is so prevalent, most schools should do well at dealing with the student. Just keep working with you child's doctor to get the right medication at the right dose. It does take time but the outcome makes it worthwhile.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:25 AM

203 posts, read 271,568 times
Default Sometimes the right school/teacher makes the difference

I'm not discounting medication, as it has its place for sure. It can mean the difference between a child feeling defeated and frustrated and them feeling like they can handle what comes their way. That is truly important. I just feel that our society puts so much pressure on all children to conform to the "standard" and then throws everything else out the window. Sometimes a child who isn't engaged and hasn't had the right focus for their talents can present with ADHD symptoms more severely. In grad school, I did a lot of research into ADHD and the school systems and found that as the rates of standardized testing and "teaching to the test" goes up, so do the rates of ADHD diagnosis. In severe cases, medication is warranted but it doesn't come without risk. Then the benefits need to outweigh the risks. I just have a problem with kids being medicated to fit to what the schools consider the only way to learn. This is only my opinion but I base it on clinical research and personal experience - my son is almost 11 and has a mild form and my nephew was diagnosed years ago, put on meds but then taken off - my sister didn't like how it changed him. She changed his schools and he did quite well and is a college graduate in his 20s now. Does he still have ADHD? Probably...but there is an upside to it as well. I never realized how many highly successful people have had ADHD and actually credit it for their success. They just delegate the tasks that they're weak in...everyone has strengths and weaknesses. It's just a matter of playing up the strengths. I don't know how flexible you are for schools but, if you want to get a different spin on how our educational system mishandles ADHD, Google Sir Ken Robinson. Very interesting.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:45 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,299,498 times
If young, also look at Preston Hollow Presby. They very well might have a program set up, and the price is not terrible.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:03 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,784 times
Good luck on your search. Just as a personal piece of information, I grew up battling ADHD. Starting in 2nd grade the schools would constantly suggest to my parents to have me put on medicine (Ritalin at the time). My parents refused and worked with me through the years to try and overcome the obstacles naturally. Still to this day I have to slow myself down from time to time, but I feel as if it gave me a special advantage in life. When things come easy to people, then they are approached with a difficult situation, they often shutdown as not having to deal with adversary often. It's something I have dealt with everyday of my life, thus making it much easier to handle and approach difficult situations. If you have any questions, mentoring, etc. please do not hesitate to DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas