Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:06 PM

90 posts, read 188,420 times

Advertisements

I am moving back home to Atlanta, but I'm considering an extended stay (up to a month) in DFW on the way and I cannot afford a rental car for that length of time even if I wanted one. I have a cousin there w/ a medical condition and I would like to spend some time with her so I've been lurking in the Dallas forum for a while now. And it just seems like many of the people here discourage anybody from coming to Dallas, whether to visit or otherwise, without a car, even if it's by choice. How come?

I don't at all intend to flame or criticize the mindset of the majority of the people, I'm just trying to understand it, because I lived in Atlanta just fine without a car and that is another city that discourages relocatees and visitors from going without one, but some people have to. While I had a car some of the time, I did just fine when I didn't, it simply required more flexibility and time. True, going to Publix for groceries was a 1/2 day affair and forget about buying something like ice cream, but so what? You make do.

Heat, humidity, and severe weather do not bother me and are not a concern, I'm acclimated to all those conditions. And I don't care if it takes me two hours to get somewhere. So removing those variables from the equation, is it really THAT unreasonable to consider visiting or living there for that matter and using public transportation to get around? Is it unsafe in some way? You must have people that do just fine without vehicles, I noticed they have some kind of streetcar system, so it must get used by somebody. I just cannot believe that every person in Dallas owns a car. Am I wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 02:18 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,429,181 times
Because, as much as Dallas had made strides with public transit, the Dallas area is so huge that large chunks are completely inaccessible by DART.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:22 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,703 times
I think you are misinterpreting the suggestions regarding a car. Nobody is suggesting anyone is being "terrible" for not choosing to have a car. Rather, most people who are visiting would probably rather not spend a good portion of their visit trying to figure out our lacking (but always improving) public transportation system. It's just a reminder that this is not the east coast where one can more easily get where they need to go with public transportation. The Metroplex is a sprawling area with many suburbs having no real public transportation at all. If you are aware of the long waits, limited coverage, and other ramifications of having only public transportation as your way of geting around here, knock yourself out. The suggestions being made here are probably directed at those who have not considered this.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,825,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HometoGeorgia View Post
I am moving back home to Atlanta, but I'm considering an extended stay (up to a month) in DFW on the way and I cannot afford a rental car for that length of time even if I wanted one. I have a cousin there w/ a medical condition and I would like to spend some time with her so I've been lurking in the Dallas forum for a while now. And it just seems like many of the people here discourage anybody from coming to Dallas, whether to visit or otherwise, without a car, even if it's by choice. How come?

I don't at all intend to flame or criticize the mindset of the majority of the people, I'm just trying to understand it, because I lived in Atlanta just fine without a car and that is another city that discourages relocatees and visitors from going without one, but some people have to. While I had a car some of the time, I did just fine when I didn't, it simply required more flexibility and time. True, going to Publix for groceries was a 1/2 day affair and forget about buying something like ice cream, but so what? You make do.

Heat, humidity, and severe weather do not bother me and are not a concern, I'm acclimated to all those conditions. And I don't care if it takes me two hours to get somewhere. So removing those variables from the equation, is it really THAT unreasonable to consider visiting or living there for that matter and using public transportation to get around? Is it unsafe in some way? You must have people that do just fine without vehicles, I noticed they have some kind of streetcar system, so it must get used by somebody. I just cannot believe that every person in Dallas owns a car. Am I wrong?
Get a bike. I could plan a route for you to just about anywhere.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:43 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,467,439 times
Public transportation in Dallas is terrible. If you like walking for miles and miles to places you have to go then Im sure you wont have a problem. Dallas is not like the other major cities like NYC and Chicago.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:49 PM

173 posts, read 402,262 times
Quote:
And it just seems like many of the people here discourage anybody from coming to Dallas, whether to visit or otherwise, without a car, even if it's by choice. How come?

I don't at all intend to flame or criticize the mindset of the majority of the people, I'm just trying to understand it, because I lived in Atlanta just fine without a car and that is another city that discourages relocatees and visitors from going without one, but some people have to.

I just cannot believe that every person in Dallas owns a car. Am I wrong?
Well you are wrong in a few ways.

1. Everyone in Dallas does not have a car. Some people cannot afford a car and rely on public transit, which can be difficult and time consuming. Some people bike, some have scooters, some live in walkable areas. Most use a combination of things, others rely on cars.

2. There is no mindset that you must drive and people don't want to walk or pursue other options like transit.

I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO TAKE TRAINS AND WALK EVERYWHERE. I prefer it to anything else and I hate being in a car.

The structure, planning and layout of the city makes it impossible to get everything, if not most things done by public transit or alternatives. I don't choose to drive everywhere. I am forced to if I want to have a job and life, and be able to use stores and services. If you are unemployed and can spare a 3 hour transit time for ice-cream so be it. With a commute in a car, I only have about 2 hours of fee time a day as is.

So don't use a car if you choose not to, less pollution.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
Depending on where you need to get to & from, using public transit is sometimes not an option in the DFW area. We are home to Arlington, the most populated city in the US without ANY form of public transit (rail, bus, etc). The DART rail extends to mid-Plano but then stops, leaving residents of suburbs further north/east/west totally without transit.

If you can stay in the central Dallas area and everything you need is basically up/down US75 (where one of the main light rail lines run), then you can get by ok without a car. You may need to walk 2 miles to a grocery store, but it's doable....

Old 08-10-2011, 03:23 PM

90 posts, read 188,420 times
Fair enough, thanks for the suggestions, just needed to hear that it's doable in certain parts of the city.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:33 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,175,792 times
It really depends on where you live. I could do it in Junius Heights area of Lakewood - East Dallas. There's a bus line two blocks north on Gaston and one two blocks south on Abrams (Columbia). There's also a Lakewood DART on call mini-bus. You can walk to many, many places: library, theater, shops, pubs, restaurants, grocery stores (Whole Foods one direction Mercado Mexico the other) - many times my car does not leave the driveway on weekends. I buy gas once per month on average.Sometimes I take a taxi if I want to go out on the town, say Downtown or Uptown. About $10 or less each way. A few blocks from the new Santa Fe Trail from Downtown/Deep Ellum to White Rock Lake.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM

36 posts, read 63,933 times
Quote:

The reason why you read what you read on this forum is because many people never step foot on the public transportation system and just repeat what they hear from other people who never or hardly ever step foot on the public transportation system. That, and the other mistaken belief that "DART = Trains only".

I have lived in the city of Dallas for the last two years without owning a car (22 years before that with a car). I choose not to own a car. Daily, I take either buses or trains and have not missed having a car one bit. It sounds like you have already acclimated yourself to that lifestyle choice. Within the city limits of Dallas, through the train and bus system you can get within blocks (usually 1-3) of anywhere you most likely will need or want to go. And in the immediate suburbs, you will not have a problem either.

My bus route and train routes are within about 3 minutes of the scheduled arrival times, 99% of the times. And, I've never in two years of daily travel had any issues with fellow passengers/riders. I can't say the same about 22 years of driving on Central and LBJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas