Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 10:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
It's coming. There's talk in DC about allowing states to toll existing freeways on a case-by-case basis. Currently you can only toll new construction but this change would allow all lanes of the freeway to be retro-tolled.
And that's fine that it may be coming, it just hasn't yet. Also, I see a point behind doing this because we need to refill the dwindling coffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 10:08 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,557,881 times
I'm okay with a toll option on 75 for one lane. I highly doubt all of 75 would go toll. There would be an undeniable uproar over that.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:55 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I'm okay with a toll option on 75 for one lane. I highly doubt all of 75 would go toll. There would be an undeniable uproar over that.
I'm NOT OK with it. Not at all.

It should be obvious by now that our state government doesn't care about "uproar."

Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 AM

149 posts, read 306,897 times
It's not enough to be against tolling; what is the alternate funding source Texas should use for maintaining it's current roadways and relieving congestion? We say no to a higher gas tax, no to a higher sales tax, no to higher vehicle registration fees and no to tolls. Those are legitimate choices, but if that's the choice, we should understand the consequence is more gridlock and paying more in vehicle wear & tear, wasted fuel and commuter time stuck in traffic.

We can turn HOV lanes into regular lanes, but once McKinney, Melissa & Anna start filling up with new home construction, Collin County will be right back in the same situation 5-10 years later.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:38 AM

I'd rather have the gas tax raised than have 75 turned into a toll road.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 AM

325 posts, read 757,032 times
I'd gladly take additional toll roads if it delays the inevitable "mileage tax", which several states are studying now. They're realizing that gas taxes become less effective as higher efficiency vehicles start increasing in numbers. Is it any wonder that Oregon and Washington are leading this charge?

Old 07-03-2014, 12:46 PM

3,835 posts, read 4,442,278 times
My problem is that doing this is moving the posts. Prior to this development, if you knew you hated the idea of paying tolls then dont live in a town that's dependent on them like Frisco, Prosper, West Plano, West McKinney, etc (that was one of the dealbreakers for me avoiding Frisco when home buying). Now with this development, people who chose areas like Richardson, Allen, East Plano etc to avoid tolls are now getting screwed through no fault of their own. It almost looks like the NTTA is determined to get extra toll revenue by capturing every highway in town, all but forcing everyone to use the toll roads if you want to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 07-03-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
My problem is that doing this is moving the posts. Prior to this development, if you knew you hated the idea of paying tolls then dont live in a town that's dependent on them like Frisco, Prosper, West Plano, West McKinney, etc (that was one of the dealbreakers for me avoiding Frisco when home buying). Now with this development, people who chose areas like Richardson, Allen, East Plano etc to avoid tolls are now getting screwed through no fault of their own. It almost looks like the NTTA is determined to get extra toll revenue by capturing every highway in town, all but forcing everyone to use the toll roads if you want to get anywhere in a reasonable amount of time.
YES.

Also, tolls usually add up to much more than what a gas tax would cost someone like me, who doesn't do a lot of long-distance driving/commuting. I'd rather pay a little more at the pump than give the NTTA my money.

NO TOLLS.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:36 AM

138 posts, read 216,681 times
Perry was the one who pushed toll roads. Perry is gone soon and the Texas GOP dropped toll roadsfrom their party platform at the most recent state convention. Toll road construction should slow down. So now both parties are against public/private toll roads. The problem remains though, the next Governor has already said no to raising taxes and fees, but has publicly opposed new toll projects. That means cuts from somewhere or tapping the rainy day fund. So what are we going to cut because we know the rainy day fund isn't going to be tapped.

I have no idea why we keep neglecting our public roadways when we as a state have the money.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:33 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,614 times
It's 10 million to send the HOV money back to the feds and 11 million to toll it.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. Just open the lane to everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: