Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 07:04 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,092 times

Advertisements

Link to the article is below.

And just to clarify, the plan TxDoT is floating is to turn the single HoV lane into a toll lane in order to "encourage use" and "ease congestion."

I'm skeptical - when has *charging* for something that was previously free ever encouraged use?

Central Expressway Would Become a Toll Lane Under TxDot Plan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 07:33 AM

551 posts, read 1,099,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
Link to the article is below.

And just to clarify, the plan TxDoT is floating is to turn the single HoV lane into a toll lane in order to "encourage use" and "ease congestion."

I'm skeptical - when has *charging* for something that was previously free ever encouraged use?

Central Expressway Would Become a Toll Lane Under TxDot Plan
Houston does this. It allows you to use the HOV lane for a fee even if you don't have a passenger. It increases use because more people have the ability to use it. They just have to be willing to pay.

You still get to ride for free in the HOV if you have 2 or more people and the other lanes are still free. It's just an additional option for single riders and helps ease congestion on the free lanes.

Quote:
Single riders from LBJ to Allen could pay the posted toll price to use the HOV lane for faster travel. Cars with two or more occupants would need to register for the week or 15 minutes before using those lanes to drive them for free.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:48 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Already a thread about this.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:49 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
Quote:
You still get to ride for free in the HOV if you have 2 or more people and the other lanes are still free. It's just an additional option for single riders and helps ease congestion on the free lanes.
Not completely true. Today, you can just hop in the HOV lane if you have 2 or more people. No issue. Going forward, you would have to register for the week or 15 minutes ahead of time to use the lane for free - no matter how many people in the car. For me, I dont know if I am going to use the HOV lane or not. I decide based on how the traffic is flowing. Waiting 15 minutes or registering for the week would be a deterrent, not an incentive (for me)

Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 AM

551 posts, read 1,099,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifw View Post
Not completely true. Today, you can just hop in the HOV lane if you have 2 or more people. No issue. Going forward, you would have to register for the week or 15 minutes ahead of time to use the lane for free - no matter how many people in the car. For me, I don't know if I am going to use the HOV lane or not. I decide based on how the traffic is flowing. Waiting 15 minutes or registering for the week would be a deterrent, not an incentive (for me)
Well what I said is true but I do see your point about the registering thing being a deterrent. I'm not really sure what the point of that is. In Houston they just have 2 entry gates. One for HOVs and one that charges a fee to your toll tag for single riders. Not sure why they don't just do it that way.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:17 PM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Have they changed the HOV lanes in DFW from HOV-2 to HOV-3 yet? If not, that'll happen in the very near future, and it'll wipe out a good 75% of the existing HOV usage because most carpoolers won't be able to meet the 3+ occupant rule.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:27 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
Hopefully they follow the Houston model of having two "toll" gates (the HOV one is free). They regularly put police there to enforce people going through the appropriate gate.

Here in LA, the way they did this is a COMPLETE debacle. You have a toll tag that is clunky and has a switch you set depending on how many people are in your car. If you have more than one, your passage is free though you still pay a rental fee on the tag if you only use it for HOV. I've seen people get distracted in the lanes trying to adjust the switch while doing 80mph down the 110. Sometimes single drivers switch it as they approach the gate and then switch it back to single rider just after. It's also way overpriced to use.

If they're doing this to the carpool lanes, why can't they allow carpoolers to use the regular tollways for free?

Old 07-01-2014, 03:38 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
From Facebook:

UPDATE ON PROPOSAL TO TOLL PORTIONS OF HIGHWAY 75 - State Rep. Jeff Leach:
By now most of you have heard about TXDOT's proposal to turn the HOV lane on 75 (from 121 to 635) in to a managed toll lane. As the State Representative for a large portion of this stretch of highway, let me be absolutely clear: Collin County has enough tolled lanes as it is.
If this allowed, I worry it will ultimately lead to the entirety of 75 being tolled, which would render much of Plano, Allen and Richardson a proverbial "gated community", completely surrounded by tolled highways. This must not happen and I will do everything possible to fight against this proposal on behalf of the people of Collin County.
My proposed solution is to take out the HOV lane altogether, which will provide 20% more lane capacity in both directions and go a long way in relieving congestion on this busy stretch of highway. I hope you will join me in our efforts to fight against this proposal, starting with attending the public meeting hosted by TXDOT Tuesday, July 1st from 5-7pm in the Grand Hall at the Richardson Civic Center, located at 411 W. Arapaho Road, Richardson, TX 75080.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:36 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
From Facebook:

By now most of you have heard about TXDOT's proposal to turn the HOV lane on 75 (from 121 to 635) in to a managed toll lane. As the State Representative for a large portion of this stretch of highway, let me be absolutely clear: Collin County has enough tolled lanes as it is.
If this allowed, I worry it will ultimately lead to the entirety of 75 being tolled, which would render much of Plano, Allen and Richardson a proverbial "gated community", completely surrounded by tolled highways. This must not happen and I will do everything possible to fight against this proposal on behalf of the people of Collin County.
My proposed solution is to take out the HOV lane altogether, which will provide 20% more lane capacity in both directions and go a long way in relieving congestion on this busy stretch of highway. I hope you will join me in our efforts to fight against this proposal, starting with attending the public meeting hosted by TXDOT Tuesday, July 1st from 5-7pm in the Grand Hall at the Richardson Civic Center, located at 411 W. Arapaho Road, Richardson, TX 75080.
Exactly. This would only be the beginning.

Old 07-01-2014, 04:59 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
From Facebook:

Turning 75 into a toll road would be a disaster for so many communities. You would think the people in North Texas wouldnt let this happen...till you think back on 121...didnt they turn the whole thing into a toll road? including the parts ALREADY BUILT AND PAID FOR WITH TAXPAYER MONEY...and there was barely a peep from anyone. Sad days ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: