Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times

Advertisements

Why is it that Houston pays soo much more in property taxes than Dallas? I've also notice that master planned communties in Houston pay more for HOA fees than the same type of communty in Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 08:24 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,242,029 times
I believe it is because the Houston area has stricter zoning laws and has taken measures to control sprawl. Houston is larger, but for whatever reason the Dallas metro keeps pushing further and further out. The running joke among some of us here in Dallas is that one day Dallas will reach Sherman/Denton.

As for HOA fees thats just up to the individual HOA's.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:43 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,755,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
I believe it is because the Houston area has stricter zoning laws
"Houston is the largest city in the United States without zoning regulations."

Houston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-06-2008, 11:40 AM

506 posts, read 2,150,100 times
Houston has absolutely NO zoning regulations and neighborhoods must use deed restrictions to enforce their own regulations. This is why you'll often see "Deed Restrictions Enforced" or "A Deed Restricted Neighborhood" written on the subdivision entry sign. Without deed restrictions, one can build anything anywhere they want.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:42 AM

670 posts, read 2,999,894 times
[quote=galore;2433717]"Houston is the largest city in the United States without zoning regulations."[quote]

That's what I have always read too. Weird because that is another reason (besides the humidity and sorry I think the drivers there suck) we put them on the bottom of our list when we relocated back to DFW. It went Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and then El Paso/Houston/Panhandle were tied (figuring we'd never end up having to make the decision lol).

Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,764,522 times
The only reason we picked houston metro to live is because my wife and I received better job offers than in dallas metro, and don't get me wrong Dallas metro is a wayyy better place to live and buy a home. I just hope we'll be able to sell our home for a profit and move to dallas after five years.

FYI; I don't understand why people down here keep saying Houston is cheeper than Dallas but when you factor the property taxes and home insurance it all comes out about the same plus you're getting a better all-around place to live than Houston metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas