Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 06:56 PM

53 posts, read 122,254 times

Advertisements

I made a post on hotels, but figured it would be easier to get more ideas if I started a new thread on activities. I will be vacationing in Dallas March 14-19, and am looking for some activities to do with the kids. We are going to the Blues/Stars game on the 15th, but are otherwise open. My kids (both girls) are 7 and 10. They both love horses, so anything horse related (except horseback riding) would be great! I though about taking them to Medieval Times. It's quite expensive though. Is it worth it? Any other horse related activities? Or anything for kids their age? We will have a rental car, so transportation won't be an issue. I would also love suggestions on good BBQ restaurants in the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 09:24 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
My grandkids at that age loved the JFK museum at the School Book Depisitory. Also the aquarium has the rainforest - you wind down 2 or 3 stories of tropical animals. The Arboretum might have the 500,000 Spring bulbs in bloom. Whether or not, the Children's Garden is worth a visit but needs reservations.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:50 AM

176 posts, read 234,346 times
Fort Worth has a Cowgirl Museum. Check it out.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:40 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,173,374 times
I posted this list recently when someone else asked about things to do with kids:

1) The Perot Museum of Nature and Science

2) Klyde Warren Park

3) The Dallas World Aquarium

4) The Dallas Arboretum

5) The Dallas Zoo

6) Take the free trolley from downtown (near Klyde Warren Park) to Uptown and back

7) Texas Discovery Gardens/The Butterfly Garden at Fair Park

8) Ice skating at the Galleria

9) Mesquite Rodeo (not sure if it's happening when you're here)

10) Dallas Children's Theater

11) Picnic at White Rock Lake

Then you can head over to Fort Worth for:

1) The Stockyards (where they have a rodeo every weekend)

2) Museum of Science and History and Nat'l Cowgirl Hall of Fame

3) The Fort Worth Zoo

4) Fort Worth Botanic Garden

Old 02-22-2015, 07:24 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,463,858 times
Pecan Lodge is a very good BBQ restaurant in Dallas.

If you happen to be over in Fort Worth, there are some decent BBQ restaurants. Riscky's is pretty well known and well located with the Stockyards. I went to Angelo's once in Fort Worth and liked it. Maybe some others with greater familiarity on Fort Worth can chime in here.

Make sure to do as much authentically Texas/Western as you can while you are here.

Dallas is not really known to be much of a recreational vacation spot. It is a good place to live. Most visitors come here because they have family in the area or they travel here for business reasons.

I lived in Phoenix before here, which is much more of a vacation destination. I think it is better from a day-to-day living standpoint to live somewhere that is more of a good day-to-day place than a good destination vacation spot.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:28 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,157 times
Y'know....I like Medievil Times about once every 2 years. You can see the horses (behind glass) before the show. I think it's worth it. I always get the vegetarian option; it's pretty good. They might have a matinee show that is cheaper than an evening show.

I'm taking my son to King Spa - they have an indoor water park now. And there are pre purchase coupons on Groupon and Living Social right now for $23 each.

I like lunch at Cloud Nine in Reunion Tower. It rotates. It's pricey, but unique.

Texas Discovery Garden has a butterfly house. Plus the Children's Aquarium is near (a couple of bldgs away) - they have sting ray petting and another touch tank.

In Ft Worth - the Japanese Garden inside the botanic garden is fun. There are koi ponds with fish feeders. Take quarters. I like eating at Rodeo Goat afterward. There isn't much signage, FYI.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:28 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,493,571 times
This is not an endorsement of the show (I always wonder about shows that have performing animals, but since you mentioned your daughters love horses I thought it might be worth checking into), but the Equestrian spectacular"Cavalia" is playing in Frisco (north Dallas suburb):
Frisco (Dallas), TX - Calendar | Cavalia

Old 02-22-2015, 10:25 AM

53 posts, read 122,254 times
Thank you everyone!

Old 02-22-2015, 11:26 AM

420 posts, read 706,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
I posted this list recently when someone else asked about things to do with kids:

1) The Perot Museum of Nature and Science

2) Klyde Warren Park

3) The Dallas World Aquarium

4) The Dallas Arboretum

5) The Dallas Zoo

6) Take the free trolley from downtown (near Klyde Warren Park) to Uptown and back

7) Texas Discovery Gardens/The Butterfly Garden at Fair Park

8) Ice skating at the Galleria

9) Mesquite Rodeo (not sure if it's happening when you're here)

10) Dallas Children's Theater

11) Picnic at White Rock Lake

Then you can head over to Fort Worth for:

1) The Stockyards (where they have a rodeo every weekend)

2) Museum of Science and History and Nat'l Cowgirl Hall of Fame

3) The Fort Worth Zoo

4) Fort Worth Botanic Garden

This is a great list, but I would add the Water Gardens to the Fort Worth side.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:47 PM

974 posts, read 2,186,748 times
You can sometimes get pretty useful discount coupons from the Dallas CVB website.

http://www.visitdallas.com/services/event-coupons/

Here's a link to a pdf: http://www.visitdallas.com/includes/...ttractions.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas