Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2016, 09:13 AM

38 posts, read 54,165 times

Advertisements

I currently live in MA. I was born and raised in NC but as a pre-teen my family moved up north. Im interested in moving back down south for the weather and people. I'm a 26-year-old female and I work fulltime at a university but my passion is the arts. I love making films, writing and I love music. I love black culture and being around black people as well as whites. I just love diversity, friendly, extroverted people, and a buzzing, welcoming town and nightlife. I'm single and so one day I want to get married, and thats why I am scared to move to Atlanta because I've heard some things about the dating life there, and if I'm going to live somewhere I want the culture to match my long-term goals. I'm not interested in living in LA.

I've been reading about how there are a lot of blacks living in Texas (particularly Houston and Dallas) and I'm seriously thinking about picking up and moving in a couple years. I'm scared to be away from my family and the familiar, but I dont feel like I belong up here in MA. I'm not happy with the culture, most of the people here, or my surroundings. I also feel like I reached a ceiling as far my creative potential goes. I feel stuck.

I heard Houston is huge, so it is kind of intimidating. Is Dallas easier to meet people? Is it smaller?

Has anyone ever picked up and moved to this city when they didn't know anyone? How is it living in Texas? Is it a good town for single black people, and safe for single black women? I just have so many questions and I'm ready to try something new. If you could give me your honest unbiased opinion based on your personal experience, it would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 11:35 PM

641 posts, read 801,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwoman2 View Post
I currently live in MA. I was born and raised in NC but as a pre-teen my family moved up north. Im interested in moving back down south for the weather and people. I'm a 26-year-old female and I work fulltime at a university but my passion is the arts. I love making films, writing and I love music. I love black culture and being around black people as well as whites. I just love diversity, friendly, extroverted people, and a buzzing, welcoming town and nightlife. I'm single and so one day I want to get married, and thats why I am scared to move to Atlanta because I've heard some things about the dating life there, and if I'm going to live somewhere I want the culture to match my long-term goals. I'm not interested in living in LA.

I've been reading about how there are a lot of blacks living in Texas (particularly Houston and Dallas) and I'm seriously thinking about picking up and moving in a couple years. I'm scared to be away from my family and the familiar, but I dont feel like I belong up here in MA. I'm not happy with the culture, most of the people here, or my surroundings. I also feel like I reached a ceiling as far my creative potential goes. I feel stuck.

I heard Houston is huge, so it is kind of intimidating. Is Dallas easier to meet people? Is it smaller?

Has anyone ever picked up and moved to this city when they didn't know anyone? How is it living in Texas? Is it a good town for single black people, and safe for single black women? I just have so many questions and I'm ready to try something new. If you could give me your honest unbiased opinion based on your personal experience, it would be much appreciated.
I grew up in NC. Moved here at 17yo. Didn't know anyone but been here for 10yrs and love it. I'm a blk male and was single. Dating scene here was great for me. I didn't discriminate so had lots to pick from.

Both Dallas and Houston are huge and busy. I don't feel like anyone from either city goes to the other and feel as if it's more intimidating. DFW metro has more people than Htown metro but city of Houston has more than city of Dallas. Htown is also more sprawling.

I really like Houston. I find it to be more diverse and welcoming. People there have a more laid back, beach vibe than Dallas. People seem more down to earth there and it definitely has more southern charm. Dallas seems more business oriented, superficial and glitzy. Houston would probably have a better blk culture scene w TSU and Prairie View close.

Honestly, it should come down to where you can find work. You should visit both cities before taking that leap. They are both great places to call home

Old 12-31-2016, 07:00 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newwoman2 View Post

I'm a single, black female. Moved to Dallas area three years ago. I don't really care for it. Yes there are black people here, but the area is too spread out for social activities in my opinion. I get tired of driving long distances to get to stuff. That may not bother you though. I know the Cedar Hill area, along with places like Ducanville and DeSoto have a lot of black people living there but I don't know about any cohesive, black culture and arts scene specific to Dallas. Maybe someone else here knows more about this than I do. I found a link to a list of clubs black people frequent in Dallas. There is the Bishop Arts District, Lower Greenville and Deep Ellum neighborhoods but they are not specifically black.

Still I would't say that Dallas has a bustling nightlife. For the bustling nightlife you are looking for, you need to be in New York, Chicago (especially to be around the kind of black people you want to be around, DC (same is Chicago) or Los Angeles. People mostly eat out and shop here.

Honestly, Chicago or DC would be the best fit for what you are looking for, not Dallas.

Dallas is too slow paced and in my opinion better suited for married couples and retired people. I am working on moving back to my hometown of Chicago. I need more excitement than what Dallas offers. The locals here marry young but since you are under 30, you may be able to find single men. A lot of the singles here have a lot of kids so that is something to keep in mind as well.

I personally don't feel Dallas is a good place for single black women. I've only had 2 dates in the 3 years that I've been here. You may like it though. Come visit first.

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 12-31-2016 at 07:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas