Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2015, 04:58 PM

168 posts, read 229,581 times

Advertisements

Question

Lets say I hire a buyers-agent to assist me with my home search. A week later, another person lists a home for sale, with that agent.

And I like that home.

Can this agent sell the home to me ? I want to learn how to deal with this scenario, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 05:07 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,122,636 times
Isn't that the (not-so-typical) dual agency situation? Usually, the agent will represent you and someone else from her office will represent the seller, and you both have to waive the conflict of interest. Sometimes dual agency would allow the seller to pay a lower commission (e.g., 4% instead of 5%) per the listing agreement. It's more common when a prospective buyer calls the listing agent to see a house, and that agent represents both sides.

Mick

Old 03-25-2015, 05:21 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Yes, that agent can sell you the house. That's the dream for an agent to have a listing and to actually find the perfect buyer for that listing instead of someone else. I love working in this situation as there's no other agent I have to wait on for calls or paperwork.

As long as everything is disclosed up front and all information shared is the same to each party, the situation is fine. Too many people freak out in the situation thinking they aren't being represented, but look at it this way. If I presented a market analysis to a seller at a price of $450k and the seller decides to list at $500k, the buyer gets to see the exact same market analysis showing the value at $450k and it helps them with their negotiations.

Same info to both parties, no cherry-coating information. It's great.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:43 PM

168 posts, read 229,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Yes, that agent can sell you the house. That's the dream for an agent to have a listing and to actually find the perfect buyer for that listing instead of someone else. I love working in this situation as there's no other agent I have to wait on for calls or paperwork.

As long as everything is disclosed up front and all information shared is the same to each party, the situation is fine. Too many people freak out in the situation thinking they aren't being represented, but look at it this way. If I presented a market analysis to a seller at a price of $450k and the seller decides to list at $500k, the buyer gets to see the exact same market analysis showing the value at $450k and it helps them with their negotiations.

Same info to both parties, no cherry-coating information. It's great.
Thank you Falconhead. This is why I like this forum. Thanks again !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas