Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 08:28 PM

70 posts, read 333,134 times

Advertisements

Hi, I want to find where I can learn how to drive a stick shift (manual transmission) car. Any idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 08:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bypassus View Post
Hi, I want to find where I can learn how to drive a stick shift (manual transmission) car. Any idea?
Find a friend who knows how to drive one and get them to teach you.

I've taught several people how to do it. It's not rocket science.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:15 PM

230 posts, read 398,260 times
Default Driving school

Quote:
Originally Posted by bypassus View Post
If you are already driving automatic trasmission car it should not take you long. But if you don't have anyone you know to teach stick shift driving just take a few lessons at driving school. Don't burn that clutch LOL. Good luck.

Old 08-09-2014, 11:47 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
I just bought an old 5 spd Fox body Mustang and spent a couple night learning on my own...less traffic at night.

FYI: Manual gear boxes differ on cars and light trucks vs a semi-tractor. I wanted to mention that just incase you're looking to learn how to drive something larger.

Old 08-10-2014, 05:36 AM

574 posts, read 1,478,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Gosh this brings back memories! My first car in college was a stick shift (I didn't know how to drive it but it was a cute car). My boyfriend at the time, now husband, drove it home from the dealership. Back at our school, he taught me the basics. Then he got out of the car and said, "Meet you back at the dorms." Left me stranded in a parking lot. Took me over an hour to figure things out enough to get back to the dorms but I learned. It was by far my favorite car I've ever driven.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:41 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
My college roommate taught me. Once you watch someone drive a manual, and they explain the process as they do it, it is really pretty easy.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:02 AM

382 posts, read 628,566 times
Quote:

I've taught several people how to do it. It's not rocket science.
Variation on this...get them to drive your manual car and you their auto car to a large empty parking lot...he gives you a quick rundown, then leaves...you practice until you can drive home.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,265 times
I taught both my kids how to drive a stick shift. We did it in a cemetery. No traffic and back in CT, lots of hills to practice on. To me, not rolling backwards on hills are the most difficult thing to master - driving a stick in flat TX should be a piece of cake.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:20 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,400,208 times
In my opinion, manual cars are on the way out (5 yrs from now, they will be incredibly rare, even on super sports cars), so you a really only learning for yourself, but you can still rent a car with a manual, and I'm sure a friend or relative can teach you in an hour or three.

Old 08-11-2014, 07:20 PM

25 posts, read 77,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
In my opinion, manual cars are on the way out (5 yrs from now, they will be incredibly rare, even on super sports cars), so you a really only learning for yourself, but you can still rent a car with a manual, and I'm sure a friend or relative can teach you in an hour or three.
That may be true for developed countries but you will still see manual cars for many years in developing countries. It's good to learn to drive one. You never know when you will need to drive one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas