Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 08:58 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times

Advertisements

We have three HVAC units for our 2 story house w/separate thermostats for each...all original to house's construction about 13-14 yrs ago so no Wi-Fi compatibility ones...
we have been here since late 08
We replaced the main AC unit about 8 mo ago in Dec to save some money and have had two instances where it stopped cooling already...one in June and one last week...
remember it wasn't really used until middle of April...

Both times the house had been empty for while and non-cooling was discovered when people came in so no way to tell how long it might not have been functioning. The guy added a little coolant first time (maybe because installed in Dec and was cooler outside) but could find nothing wrong this time--no charge to us either time --under warranty And seems to be working ok now...

He said if the thermostat ONLY used batteries, the batteries could be too weak to support all functions...
Like fan might come on but not compressor...so that was why there was no cooling.
Temps once working were very good...20 degree difference and 16 is acceptable...

He checked thermostat and said it was ONLY battery powered...had no wire for house power...

My husband wants to replace all three thermostats w newer ones w/wi-fi so we can monitor when away and all of them (based on what I see on Amazon) are "hard-wired" to house electricity...

Is it possible to have a fairly new HVAC system and have thermostats NOT wired to house's power?
Having to run power to new units would be good bit more expensive than just new thermostat units...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 01:29 AM

188 posts, read 597,194 times
Do you have C wire (24VAC common)? That's what provides power to thermostats

https://sensicomfort.com/c-wire

Old 08-15-2017, 09:17 AM

11 posts, read 19,379 times
Even though your current thermostat is battery powered, you may still have a 5th common wire that is unused (usually blue in color). If unused, it's usually wrapped around the bundle. Depending on your thermostat, you can usually just snap off the front to look at the base plate with wires connected to look for the common wire.
If unused, you may need to open your furnace to check that the blue wire is connected to the furnace control board.
Not hard, but not everyone wants to crawl around a hot attic figuring how to access the furnace.

In the case you do not have a common wire, your options are really Sensi and Nest.
Sensi is battery powered and Nest draws power from your red wire to recharge it's internal battery. Both are wifi capable and can be accessed remotely via phone app or web portal.

Most standard single stage ac/heat units only need 4 wires to the thermostat (R, G, W, Y). So if that's what you put in recently, the contractor most likely just re-used your existing wiring and did not pull new a new wire bundle w/ more wires.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:29 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post

My husband wants to replace all three thermostats w newer ones w/wi-fi so we can monitor when away and all of them (based on what I see on Amazon) are "hard-wired" to house electricity...
I can't answer regarding wi-fi thermostats (ecobees are my favorite there, but im not sure they have a non-hardwired thermostat), but Honeywell has good wireless FocusPRO thermostats. I used 2 of them in my previous house. Battery-powered only, no hardwired power (i didn't even attach them to the wall). I had no problem with either thermostat in the 3-4 years they were in the house. Of course this is not wi-fi and cannot be accessed remotely.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:58 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times
If your house was built 13-14 years ago (2003-2004) I find it very odd that you wouldn't have a C wire. Our last home was a 2005 and it had it, and the home was nothing special, standard builder grade.

Turn off the power to the A/C and furnace on one unit, then take the thermostat off the wall and check the wiring and see if you have any unused wires that are capped off/disconnected. Until you do that, you won't know what kinds of thermostats you can use or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas