Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 07:30 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside View Post
I understand that to someone who has never lived here, the "Texas is racist" stereotype is alive and well.

Sure there are pockets where it still flourishes, but overall the DFW area is just as "multi-culti" as most urban areas.

On my block alone, there are Jewish, Indian, African American and Chinese families. We all get along; their children are regularly at each other's houses, playing basketball or swimming.

If anything, the segregation that exists here more economic than racial.

Just my 2c.
This is especially true of Texas cities in general, but especially DFW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 11:43 PM

641 posts, read 801,350 times
OP,

I have personally wrestled with this decision for a while now before deciding.

Background: I'm a black transplant from the east coast. Initially moved to Irving TX. Then later N. Dallas. Then NE Tarrant County (Keller). I've also experienced a lot of different areas in DFW during my bachelor days.

My opinion:

It is far too many people here for any metropolitan city to be considered racist. It is more classism than racism. BTW, Anna and Tyler are not metropolitan cities. Little Elm and McKinney are good options and fine for blacks who don't mind going along to get along. You will encounter uncomfortable situations and plenty of times that you and your children may question things at face value.

Now here's another perspective and reason I'm currently preparing to sell my house in Keller (majority white suburb) for a house in Cedar Hill (majority black suburb):

Keller is a nicely ran city with friendly ppl but the niceness comes across as less genuine in Keller and surrounding white areas. Me and my family still have to overcome generalizations. A good % in the white burbs are very dismissive and inconsiderate if the topic of race is discussed. This is not something that they can ever see or experience but they won't hesitate to tell you how you need to handle it (which is to let it go and stop playing the race card).

Perfect example is the large % of McKinney residents response after a police officer slammed a juvenile black girl wearing a bathing suit (youtube: McKinney Pool Party). Yea, she was running her mouth but you and I know that little girl should not have been handled in that manner. You and I also know that the outcome would be different if she was a petite juvenile white girl. In fact, notice the way black juvies were getting treated vs the non blacks who were free to walk around. There were several white residents in the area who were equally upset about the incident. But, there was also a large % who saw nothing wrong with this and thought it was only media worthy because blacks were back to playing the race card.

That police officer was guilty of doing what a lot of non-blacks do in areas like this. Which is to act (or not act) based off race based generalizations and stereotypes. In fact, George Zimmerman did that same exact thing and a life was lost. There's an implicit, yet insidious, racial bias that will be apparent to you but not to them. Your kids will have to overcome this as well while they attend school. They'll be subjugated to a standard of beauty and value based on european characteristics. It may affect their confidence at first but at least they can say they attend some of the most desirable school districts in the metroplex if this is something you think is worth bragging about.

Now, I'm moving to the southern burbs where they have very nice upper class neighborhoods. The area is a black majority and you get more for the money. The cops, politicians, business people, and non blacks in the area are highly unlikely to make generalizations based on your blackness. A good percentage of them will also be black and know what it means to live the black experience. The people of the area will not be as dismissive to your concerns. Teachers will not make race based generalizations about your kids. Nor will your kids be surrounded by those whose standard of beauty or value is based on european characteristics. It comes with cons and the major one is your kids may come across other kids from lower income dysfunctional homes (although it won't be the case in your upper class neighborhood). You will need to be a very involved parent. You may eventually choose private or charter schools. The money you save can be used towards private schools if need be. Please compare the 350k houses in the southern burbs with the homes in McKinney. Check out lakeridge, Cedar Hill specifically.

It's just something to think about. I'd honestly be ok in Keller but why put up with something I don't want to deal with especially considering that I also have more friends/families in the area I'm seeking to move. Even outside of the southern burbs which I'd consider tier 1, I've found the most harmonious places (not including Dallas or Ft Worth) for me as a black person to be:

(tier 2, true melting pots): Irving, Arlington, Mansfield, GP, Mesquite
(tier 3): McKinney, Plano, Denton (which could also be tier 2), HEB, NRH, Keller, Grapevine, Southlake, Addison, Garland, Carrolton,Farmers Branch, Lewisville,
(tier 4): Any other metropolitan cities in Dallas, Tarrant or Denton County

Last edited by FJB327; 05-14-2016 at 11:52 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,933 times
I highly recommend Irving (my town). Richardson or Plano.
I moved here to escape my hometown of Houston, and mid-cities is the place to be!
It's really true about Irving (like our slogan on the river says, near the Town Hall) "where people make the difference." The police are kind, thorough and responsible too, when I had to call them regarding my harrassing landlord, they didn't think I was crazy, even when we had to check for hidden security cameras all over the house. Turned out my landlord was the only crazy one.
Just a word to the wise: my run-ins with renting rooms from homeowners around here has been terribly bad. 75% of them advertising rooms on CL are mentally disturbed and think they can run your whole life once you're paying for a single room.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:42 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,533,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
OP,

I have personally wrestled with this decision for a while now before deciding.

Background: I'm a black transplant from the east coast. Initially moved to Irving TX. Then later N. Dallas. Then NE Tarrant County (Keller). I've also experienced a lot of different areas in DFW during my bachelor days.

My opinion:

It is far too many people here for any metropolitan city to be considered racist. It is more classism than racism. BTW, Anna and Tyler are not metropolitan cities. Little Elm and McKinney are good options and fine for blacks who don't mind going along to get along. You will encounter uncomfortable situations and plenty of times that you and your children may question things at face value.

Now here's another perspective and reason I'm currently preparing to sell my house in Keller (majority white suburb) for a house in Cedar Hill (majority black suburb):

Keller is a nicely ran city with friendly ppl but the niceness comes across as less genuine in Keller and surrounding white areas. Me and my family still have to overcome generalizations. A good % in the white burbs are very dismissive and inconsiderate if the topic of race is discussed. This is not something that they can ever see or experience but they won't hesitate to tell you how you need to handle it (which is to let it go and stop playing the race card).

Perfect example is the large % of McKinney residents response after a police officer slammed a juvenile black girl wearing a bathing suit (youtube: McKinney Pool Party). Yea, she was running her mouth but you and I know that little girl should not have been handled in that manner. You and I also know that the outcome would be different if she was a petite juvenile white girl. In fact, notice the way black juvies were getting treated vs the non blacks who were free to walk around. There were several white residents in the area who were equally upset about the incident. But, there was also a large % who saw nothing wrong with this and thought it was only media worthy because blacks were back to playing the race card.

That police officer was guilty of doing what a lot of non-blacks do in areas like this. Which is to act (or not act) based off race based generalizations and stereotypes. In fact, George Zimmerman did that same exact thing and a life was lost. There's an implicit, yet insidious, racial bias that will be apparent to you but not to them. Your kids will have to overcome this as well while they attend school. They'll be subjugated to a standard of beauty and value based on european characteristics. It may affect their confidence at first but at least they can say they attend some of the most desirable school districts in the metroplex if this is something you think is worth bragging about.

Now, I'm moving to the southern burbs where they have very nice upper class neighborhoods. The area is a black majority and you get more for the money. The cops, politicians, business people, and non blacks in the area are highly unlikely to make generalizations based on your blackness. A good percentage of them will also be black and know what it means to live the black experience. The people of the area will not be as dismissive to your concerns. Teachers will not make race based generalizations about your kids. Nor will your kids be surrounded by those whose standard of beauty or value is based on european characteristics. It comes with cons and the major one is your kids may come across other kids from lower income dysfunctional homes (although it won't be the case in your upper class neighborhood). You will need to be a very involved parent. You may eventually choose private or charter schools. The money you save can be used towards private schools if need be. Please compare the 350k houses in the southern burbs with the homes in McKinney. Check out lakeridge, Cedar Hill specifically.

It's just something to think about. I'd honestly be ok in Keller but why put up with something I don't want to deal with especially considering that I also have more friends/families in the area I'm seeking to move. Even outside of the southern burbs which I'd consider tier 1, I've found the most harmonious places (not including Dallas or Ft Worth) for me as a black person to be:

(tier 2, true melting pots): Irving, Arlington, Mansfield, GP, Mesquite
(tier 3): McKinney, Plano, Denton (which could also be tier 2), HEB, NRH, Keller, Grapevine, Southlake, Addison, Garland, Carrolton,Farmers Branch, Lewisville,
(tier 4): Any other metropolitan cities in Dallas, Tarrant or Denton County
I think this a great post. I am white, so I cannot presume to understand what the AA experience is in a majority white suburb, but for all the reasons listed above you might want to consider the southern burbs over the north. You will definitely get more for your money, but you do really need to consider commute when moving here. I do think where FJB refers to, "lower income dysfunctional homes" can be applied to some of the lower performing districts everywhere regardless of race, but you have to decide where your family will not just survive but thrive. I have mentioned before that my aunt and uncle both retired from Cedar Hill schools and still live in the community. I wish you the best as you make your plans to move and hope all goes smoothly for you and your family.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:03 PM

374 posts, read 548,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
You need to find a job before you pick up and move. The DFW area alone is larger than the state of Connecticut! Knowing where you will be working will help narrow down where you will want to live.

And this isn't the 1960s...racism really is not a problem!
^^This!!!

The communities that you're considering are vastly far apart. Do you work from home?

Old 05-18-2016, 01:48 PM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Look up the Best Southwest.......

Old 05-18-2016, 02:52 PM

82 posts, read 116,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
She resisted an officer's instructions. She refused to go back across the street, so he handcuffed her. The other black "juvies" then rushed the officer in an act of aggression, causing him to draw his gun. The non blacks were free to walk around because they weren't exacerbating the situation and obeying the police.

Just so you know, the girl and her mother that threw the party were both evicted from the neighborhood. They weren't allowed to even throw the party in the first place that caused the situation to begin with. Last I heard they skipped town after failure to pay court ordered back rent and moved to Chicago with warrants for their arrest here.

OP, as many people have said here, your skin color is less important here than your economic status. McKinney is a great place to raise a family. If you are good people, you will have no problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas