Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 03:25 AM

2 posts, read 1,957 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,
I am in banking sector (IT) in Singapore (15+ Years Technical Exp.) and considering an offer in similar sector in Irving, Texas. I have never been to US so would like your expert feedback on below points:

1. What is the salary range in Irving, this helps me in my discussion with HR
2. Monthly expenses for a family of 4 (Husband, Wife, Kids - 6 & 2)
3. Taxes in Irving, Texas
4. Educational facilities
5. Any important information you would like to share please?

Regards...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 12:17 PM

14 posts, read 17,311 times
A friend of mine just made this move. He still hasn't given up saying "lah". I am guessing you are moving with the same bank. The one with offices in the Irving area and tech center in Singapore in CBP.

Dallas living is way cheaper compared to Singapore. Here goes:

Housing - You will spend 2-3K (for a decent house) in DFW compared to 7-8K (or more) for a Condo in Singapore.
School - If you decide to send your kids to Public schools (most people do) it is free. Singapore that option is limited and most folks spend quite a bit on SAS or SAIS or UWC. The public schools here are as good as SAS in Singapore, especially in Plano, Coppell, Southlake etc. Private schools are about the same as UWC but getting in is a challenge.
Salary - Salary could be lower in DFW compared to Singapore. If I understand correctly my friend had a 10-15% lower base when he moved.
Food - He misses the food court culture in Singapore. There is no substitute. Dallas eating out is expensive.

Feel free to send me a Direct Message if you have more questions.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:01 PM

283 posts, read 404,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving2US View Post
Hi Folks,
I am in banking sector (IT) in Singapore (15+ Years Technical Exp.) and considering an offer in similar sector in Irving, Texas. I have never been to US so would like your expert feedback on below points:

1. What is the salary range in Irving, this helps me in my discussion with HR
2. Monthly expenses for a family of 4 (Husband, Wife, Kids - 6 & 2)
3. Taxes in Irving, Texas
4. Educational facilities
5. Any important information you would like to share please?

Regards...
You may also DM me for more details, I'm born and raise in Singapore and move here in Dallas for 15 years.
1. > US$5k
2. US$3k (really depends)
3. about 35% of what you get. (depends on your tax bracket)
4. Everything is great except the Bilingual part.
5. 4 seasons here (I hate the winter here), and Tornadoes.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:33 PM

130 posts, read 154,060 times
Hi... welcome to the forum! It's great that you are considering the Dallas area for relocation, and doing research in advance. My wife is from Singapore (Queenstown and now Pasir Ris area). You should really consider coming here for a week's visit before signing the papers. Just $$$ alone IMO, shouldn't be the deciding factor... as there are some BIG differences between Singapore lifestyle/ climate/ infrastructure/ housing & most importantly 'food culture' , and that of Dallas'. But to get you started on the initial questions:

1. All depends on what sector of IT you are in (AppDev, Enginnering, Architecture, ITSM etc.)
2. Again all depends on your lifestyle, rent/own, house/ apartment
3. No state income tax in TX, but you will pay sales tax of 8.25% (similar to GST) on pretty much everything except groceries. If you plan on buying a house, you will be required to pay real-estate tax.
4. Elementary schools (rough equivalent of primary) are most likely where your kids will be going to. The public school system is administered by 'independent school districts', which don't necessarily follow city borders. Irving public schools are not known for stellar academic records, which maybe of concern to you, especially being a Singaporean parent. But there are other areas in greater Dallas, which very good public schools.
5. You WILL miss the street food and walkability of Singapore. We do have 1 Singaporean restaurant where you can get your fix of chicken rice, mee goreng, chili crab, nasi lemak etc. Public transport is very sparse, compared to what you have now. So a car is almost a must-have. Summers are very hot (35 deg C +) but not as humid. Winters can have a few days for freezing temps. Not much attractions or natural beauty... as DFW is mostly a commercial hub, rather than tourist.

Let us know how your plan progresses!

Old 04-06-2016, 07:41 PM

630 posts, read 658,509 times
I lived in Singapore before.... it's less green here. You'll have to drive everywhere. The heat in Singapore was oppressive... here it's as hot but drier.

surely you'll love the bigger housing options and having more space.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:52 PM

283 posts, read 404,707 times
You will love the bigger housing but likely won't like the work that comes with it

Old 04-07-2016, 03:15 AM

14 posts, read 17,311 times
@Dhakaia: There is a Singaporean Restaurant in Dallas? Where is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhakaia View Post
Hi... welcome to the forum! It's great that you are considering the Dallas area for relocation, and doing research in advance. My wife is from Singapore (Queenstown and now Pasir Ris area). You should really consider coming here for a week's visit before signing the papers. Just $$$ alone IMO, shouldn't be the deciding factor... as there are some BIG differences between Singapore lifestyle/ climate/ infrastructure/ housing & most importantly 'food culture' , and that of Dallas'. But to get you started on the initial questions:

1. All depends on what sector of IT you are in (AppDev, Enginnering, Architecture, ITSM etc.)
2. Again all depends on your lifestyle, rent/own, house/ apartment
3. No state income tax in TX, but you will pay sales tax of 8.25% (similar to GST) on pretty much everything except groceries. If you plan on buying a house, you will be required to pay real-estate tax.
4. Elementary schools (rough equivalent of primary) are most likely where your kids will be going to. The public school system is administered by 'independent school districts', which don't necessarily follow city borders. Irving public schools are not known for stellar academic records, which maybe of concern to you, especially being a Singaporean parent. But there are other areas in greater Dallas, which very good public schools.
5. You WILL miss the street food and walkability of Singapore. We do have 1 Singaporean restaurant where you can get your fix of chicken rice, mee goreng, chili crab, nasi lemak etc. Public transport is very sparse, compared to what you have now. So a car is almost a must-have. Summers are very hot (35 deg C +) but not as humid. Winters can have a few days for freezing temps. Not much attractions or natural beauty... as DFW is mostly a commercial hub, rather than tourist.

Let us know how your plan progresses!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:07 AM

130 posts, read 154,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyLever View Post
Lion City Cafe
2109 W Parker Rd #210, Plano, TX 75023

... NW corner of Parker and Custer. it's a cash only place, and the food is good!

Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 AM

99 posts, read 151,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhonnyLever View Post
There's also Secret Recipe. Two locations - Carrollton and Plano.

https://www.facebook.com/SecretRecipetexas/

Old 04-07-2016, 10:36 PM

645 posts, read 835,963 times
Stay where you are! Why would you leave Singapore? Lovely city! Unless you are a smoker!

Expense can depend on your lifestyle, many make do with 90k. Comfortable at 120k. Unhappy at 200k. It's all a matter of how you choose to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas