Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 19,733 times

Advertisements

Hi, there!

I am looking for honest & candid responses about Rockwall, TX. Is Rockwall a racist community?

My husband and I moved to Dallas from Seattle about 2 years ago and are not familiar with the surrounding areas. We want to buy a home in the suburbs & are interested in Rockwall. However, we've heard mixed things about Rockwall. We want to start our family and want to make good decisions for our future. (We're a mixed-raced family: white/asian.)

We love what we have seen of Rockwall so far and hear that the school system is good. However, we want to know if the community is "closed" and if we are not seeing deeper than we should.

Thank you in advance for your replies!
Jude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude627 View Post
Hi, there!

I am looking for honest & candid responses about Rockwall, TX. Is Rockwall a racist community?

My husband and I moved to Dallas from Seattle about 2 years ago and are not familiar with the surrounding areas. We want to buy a home in the suburbs & are interested in Rockwall. However, we've heard mixed things about Rockwall. We want to start our family and want to make good decisions for our future. (We're a mixed-raced family: white/asian.)

We love what we have seen of Rockwall so far and hear that the school system is good. However, we want to know if the community is "closed" and if we are not seeing deeper than we should.

Thank you in advance for your replies!
Jude
Rockwall is not racist at all! There is people of all races there with all the growth. It is very family-oriented so it is a great place for families. There is a lot of shopping, plenty of new houses, and still close to Dallas.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:19 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
I think Rockwall politics are run by the good ole boy network but I don't it is a racist town. I know quite a few folks from many races who live in Rockwall and have never heard of any racist things going on in the community. One member here does say the police do racial profiling but I have no personal knowledge of that. I live in a nearby burb (Mesquite) and would have no issues at all living in Rockwall (I'm AA). There is certainly diversity in the area.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 19,733 times
Thanks for the replies! We appreciate it!

Any more input would be fantastically appreciated!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 AM

109 posts, read 398,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyjude627 View Post
Thanks for the replies! We appreciate it!

Any more input would be fantastically appreciated!

Rockwall has a vast majority of white people, but I didn't find it to be racist when I lived their, although I am white. IMO you wouldn't have any problems living there when it comes to the racial thing.

I think overall, the plusses outweigh the minuses in Rockwall, but here are a few of the issues I had when I lived there:

1. Like another poster said, there is definately a sense of good-ole boy politics. In paticular, when I was there there was a feeling that city decisions were usually made to favor the very affluent residents.
2. Rockwall is busting at the seams with people and there is no end in sight. Drive down just about any street long enough and you will see a new residential neighborhood in the works.
3. They are working on trying to fix this now, but the infrastructure (roads in particular) cannot support the growth. There is traffic everywhere and road construction everywhere.
4. If you work in Dallas, you will hate the commute (even on a good traffic day) unless you love sitting in traffic. There is really only one way in and out of the city if you are heading to Dallas and that is I-30 over the lake. If there is a problem on I-30, you will be stuck and there are no easy ways around it that will not add an extra hour to your commute.

There are others, but if you can deal with these things, you will enjoy Rockwall. It is a nice town, but just like anywhere else, it has some negative points. Good luck, and I would be glad to answer any other questions you might have.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
I personally like Rockwall to visit not to live. Most (not all, no hating here just a fact) the residents believe they are superior beings. I like Rowlett, more diversified and rooted community. Every city has it's likes and dislikes. Over all Rockwall, Rowlett and North East Garland are a good pick.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,725 times
Hi, just want to know why moved from a beautiful city to texas?

Old 08-29-2016, 05:33 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,448,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josesol View Post
Hi, just want to know why moved from a beautiful city to texas?
Are you familiar with the cost of living in Seattle?

Old 08-29-2016, 06:34 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Tyryztoll, it's a brand new poster who dug up a 7 year old thread to bash Dallas. I'm not sure he cares.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:32 PM

241 posts, read 381,964 times
lol. Trolltastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas