Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 02:16 PM

948 posts, read 1,139,391 times

Advertisements

Where do you guys do oil change for your vehicles?

I normally goes to Walmart and choose the high mileage for $40. I figured Firestone has the same rates and real close to where I live. So I dropped off today for the first time. They recommended all kinda maintenance on my 08 CRV including tire change plus several other stuff for $1000. I just requested an oil change and I wonder why they came up with all these issues? Just curious if these guys are any reliable or just trying to milk it. I bought my tires at Walmart 5 years ago, I purchased the lifetime tire rotation/wheel balance along with it. Hence I get it done for free every time I do oil change. The Firestone folks were saying the rotation wasn't right and hence my tires needs to be changed blah blah blah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2017, 03:24 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,708,779 times
I change my own oil, but if I ever wanted someone else to do it, I'd find a local independent shop with good reviews online. The chain places are crooked.

Old 01-28-2017, 06:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
My dealership services my 2008 Subaru. I trust them to do it right. Never got a hard sell.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:57 AM

445 posts, read 413,520 times
Stay away from Firestone. Firestone is a tire dealer, so no wonder they always "discover" that your tire needs replacement.

I only let the dealer touch my engine and transmission, even for oil change - that's because I don't trust the aftermarket oil filters that other places use. Oil change is not that expensive at dealer, if you say no to the unnecessary maintenance items they bring up every time.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:26 AM

19,778 posts, read 18,069,289 times
I use the Firestone at Forest and Marsh for most oil changes, minor maintenance and all tire issues. I like this place because I can see/watch people working on my cars through a window. They will show me replaced parts in such a way I know new parts are actually in place. Every single time they've found and mentioned a tire issue they've shown me the problem with the car on a lift.
Not too long ago I had a relatively nice, relatively expensive sports car into the dealership for an oil change. Out of an old habit from my father I marked the old oil filter and low and behold they charged me for an oil and filter change but left the old filter in place AND the guy who did the "change" showed me a filter in a bag that looked like my filter, further they charged me for full synthetic but installed regular dino oil of the wrong weight and additive package - all this was verified by Blackstone Labs and matters because the car had two turbocharges. It took every fiber in my being not to go back to the dealership with a gas can, match and pile of dirty shop rags but I didn't. They gave me a suite of free stuff which I used up never to return.

nitynity, did the Firestone show you what was wrong with your tires? Five years assuming normal mileage is a long run for tires around here. It's also utterly possible WM mis-rotated or mis-aligned your tires. Good luck.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:36 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
I've heard far too many horror sorties about WM tire and oil change service to ever let them touch one of our cars again. A WM store manager told me about how the techs "forgot" to put new oil in a truck and when the customer drove away, the engine seized up before he even got out of the parking lot. Personally, they once stripped the nut on my car's oil pan, which caused the oil to leak all over our garage floor overnight, and then they accused me of not taking care of my car. I had to get the store manager involved to get them to replace the stripped nut and the leaked oil, and to give me a bag of kitty litter to clean up the mess in my garage. I will never take a car to WM again.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:35 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,172,957 times
This is a small job, anyone can do it, if you are skeptic then learn to do it yourself or find someone trustworthy. I've had mine done at dealerships, local mechanics, chain stores etc but never had an issue in several decades of owing cars. Most folks are honest and competent, sometimes mistakes happen and they fix it when mentioned.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:19 AM

8,145 posts, read 8,343,862 times
I once (waaay long time ago) tried Econo Lube and got the same spheel. I tucked that knowledge into my hat and decided it was a cheap way to find out what was "wrong" with a car because I believed anything slightly needing attention was socked into the upsell. So, when I wanted to buy a used car, I took it there for an oil change and got a free inspection!

Old 01-31-2017, 10:43 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,602 times
They may right or they may be trying to sell you tires. There is no magic. Just look at your tires and see if the need to be replaced? Are they unevenly worn, is there cupping, how much tread is left?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fdCB9NdKd4

Old 02-02-2017, 08:07 AM

948 posts, read 1,139,391 times
Thanks guys. Yeah the tire is kinda worn, so may be I could change it but I am planning to sell my car (hail damage) so not putting anymore money onto it. I put 43k on it in 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: