Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 11:28 AM

6 posts, read 9,390 times

Advertisements

We are wanting to move our family of 4 from Virginia to the Dallas area. So far, are liking the Flower Mound/Trophy Club/Southlake area as well as the Heath/Rockwall area.

However, one area my husband does NOT want to compromise on is being lakefront and having a boat dock out the back door. I won't compromise on the schools. (need a great high school).

He will be driving to/from Love Field but not daily, so that is not a huge concern, but I will most likely be commuting into the city.

Where can you buy a house in a nice neighborhood, on a lake that lets you have a dock, with a great high school? Looking in the 4-5 bedroom range, preferably over 1/2 acre, pool, 3-4+ car garage, 4,500+ sf. We are willing to build as well, so if we could find a lot, that would work too.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 11:38 AM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,107 times
Budget? Because what you are looking for is going to be pricey.

I'm wondering if this even exists? You could probably find a lakefront property like this if you have a really healthy budget, but I'm not sure if it would be in an area with "great" schools.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:42 AM

We've been looking at homes in the $900-1.5m range
They all seem to have one or the other - but not both - lakefront and good schools

I am beginning to wonder if this area exists either.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:51 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
most of the lakes in DFW are 'corps of engineers' lakes, which basically means the lakefront property is owned by the government and you can't put a boat dock on them. I can't think of any close by that aren't, but there may be some.

Some people recommend a roll up/roll out boat dock that you keep on land to get around this.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:53 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,409,307 times
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but most of these lakes are Army Corps projects so private docks are not allowed. Marinas are your only option.

The closest decent lakes in the area where you can have your own dock are Eagle Mountain and Cedar Creek as far as I am aware. I've sailed on Lake Hubbard in the Rockwall/Heath area and also Grapevine Lake in the Southlake/Trophy Club area. I prefer Lake Hubbard because it doesn't suffer as much as Grapevine during the droughts. Look up the depth charts and you'll see what I mean. Grapevine is full of stumps.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,636,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdallas View Post
The closest decent lakes in the area where you can have your own dock are Eagle Mountain and Cedar Creek as far as I am aware. .
And neither of these lakes would be any kind of a decent commute to Love Field or downtown Dallas nor have good schools.

I don't believe what you are looking for exists... at any price

Old 04-05-2017, 12:02 PM

So I decided to do some searching because this really piqued my interest. I found this house and when I was looking through the pictures I noticed some jet skis in the background. I guess the owners tie them up and leave them there because they can't build a dock?

3102 Lake Creek Dr, Highland Village, TX 75077 - realtor.com®

When I did a google aerial view, they were still there although the water had receded to the point that they were on dry land. That makes me wonder about the potential for flooding in some of these areas. There are quite a few houses for sale in Highland Village that backup to Lake Lewisville and they are zoned to Flower Mound schools. I'm not sure I'd want to make that commute, though.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:07 PM

So is this illegal or a viable option? Someone installed a floating dock.

3097 Whispering Oaks Dr, Highland Village, TX 75077 - realtor.com®

Old 04-05-2017, 01:03 PM

We've been looking at the Lake Creek Drive property online but I had not see the Whispering Oaks one. Lake Lewisville apparently has a few properties with docks that were grandfathered in, but they are few and far between.

I appreciate the info on the depth charts too - I definitely had not thought of that.

Old 04-05-2017, 01:10 PM

8,153 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephwin View Post
So is this illegal or a viable option? Someone installed a floating dock.

3097 Whispering Oaks Dr, Highland Village, TX 75077 - realtor.com®
Don't think the high school will meet criteria
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: