Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:57 AM

158 posts, read 181,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethisarea View Post
If ever an Indian approaches you in public place, most likely he is desperate for something or working for Amway. This is true for Chinese folks too (except Amway. Chinese don't do Amway).
About Amway, true that What a waste of human endeavor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 11:43 AM

537 posts, read 598,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ea0337 View Post
Off topic: In public places, Indians mostly don't see eye-to-eye and yet tend to flock together. Wonder if that's an Indian thing or common among other nationalities, races?

I'm an Indian myself and have always failed to understand this conundrum.
Indians outside of India tend to look out for other Indians. It's common for Indians to want to all live together and work together (many IT departments are almost entirely Indian and hostile to non Indians, and then others have a more normal distribution of nationalities and ethnicities - there's a lot of segregation in IT). They tend to form insular communities, moreso than people of other nationalities. Not to say there aren't plenty of Indians that don't do this. Just something I've observed over the years and seems to be common knowledge.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:00 PM

628 posts, read 819,287 times
So if you celebrate diversity, why do you want to subjugate yourself to an ethnic community?

Old 05-14-2017, 01:30 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,001,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBungo View Post
Indians outside of India tend to look out for other Indians. It's common for Indians to want to all live together and work together (many IT departments are almost entirely Indian and hostile to non Indians, and then others have a more normal distribution of nationalities and ethnicities - there's a lot of segregation in IT). They tend to form insular communities, moreso than people of other nationalities. Not to say there aren't plenty of Indians that don't do this. Just something I've observed over the years and seems to be common knowledge.

I think it's because the vast majority of Indians living in the U.S. are 1st or 2nd generation Americans. It takes time for new groups to become more comfortable with others. Marriage is another factor. East Asian women marry white men at a pretty high rate, contributing to increased assimilation. Indians, even those that are highly 'Americanized', will seek out marriage partners from similar backgrounds. They don't seem as eager to blend into the majority, which I can respect.

Old 05-15-2017, 07:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I think it's because the vast majority of Indians living in the U.S. are 1st or 2nd generation Americans. It takes time for new groups to become more comfortable with others. Marriage is another factor. East Asian women marry white men at a pretty high rate, contributing to increased assimilation. Indians, even those that are highly 'Americanized', will seek out marriage partners from similar backgrounds. They don't seem as eager to blend into the majority, which I can respect.
Why respect that, though? Why move to another country if you're not going to make any effort to assimilate or even live around people from that country?

I'm asking as someone who has lived in multiple countries. I spoke the language, made friends from those countries, ate their food, watched their TV shows, etc.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:19 AM

158 posts, read 181,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Why respect that, though? Why move to another country if you're not going to make any effort to assimilate or even live around people from that country?
when in rome do as the romans do...
or please atleast try to.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:45 AM

537 posts, read 598,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

I'm asking as someone who has lived in multiple countries. I spoke the language, made friends from those countries, ate their food, watched their TV shows, etc.
America is somewhat unique in that we are a nation of immigrants, and historically most ethnic groups relocating here have formed their own communities. The Germans did it, the Irish did it, the Japanese did it, so did those from Vietnam, China, Nigeria, and of course India. It seems to take several generations before assimilation truly happens. People tend to point out Indians now simply because there are hordes of them moving to America, Australia, and the UK. India is a country of 1.3 billion people, and the affluent, skilled, and educated segments of the population generally move where the money is. There are some aspects of Indian culture that can rub people in America the wrong way, but that's just the reality when people of different cultures come together.

I do of course agree that if you move to another country, you should be respectful of that country and its culture, laws, people, and customs. I feel like Indians for the most part do this well, but that's my experience.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:01 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
America is somewhat unique in that we are a nation of immigrants, and historically most ethnic groups relocating here have formed their own communities. The Germans did it, the Irish did it, the Japanese did it, so did those from Vietnam, China, Nigeria, and of course India. It seems to take several generations before assimilation truly happens. People tend to point out Indians now simply because there are hordes of them moving to America, Australia, and the UK. India is a country of 1.3 billion people, and the affluent, skilled, and educated segments of the population generally move where the money is. There are some aspects of Indian culture that can rub people in America the wrong way, but that's just the reality when people of different cultures come together.

I do of course agree that if you move to another country, you should be respectful of that country and its culture, laws, people, and customs. I feel like Indians for the most part do this well, but that's my experience.
I'll share a single example, then I'll leave this topic alone unless you'd like to continue the discussion in private.

I speak multiple languages. More often than not, I stumble across a token coworker who also speaks one of those languages (fluently). Since I like to practice, I'll sometimes converse with said coworker in the break room or over lunch. The other day, I was speaking to a coworker in a language other than English in the break room while we were both topping off our coffee cups. A Hindi-speaking coworker overheard the conversation and asked me later what language it was. I told her that it was German.

She looked surprised that I even spoke German. "You speak GERMAN?" she said. "Yes," I replied. She then said, "Don't you think it's kind of rude to speak German at work? We can't understand you." My response: "When you and X, Y, and Z stop having work-related conversations in Hindi all day long, I will be happy to stop talking to B in German about beer and soccer in the break room."

I thought it was funny that she was whining that it wasn't fair that she couldn't understand my 60-second conversation with B, but it's somehow OK for her and X, Y, and Z to have work-related conversations in Hindi all day long. (I know the conversations are work-related because Hindi speakers sometimes weave English words into the conversation.)

Have a good day.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:25 AM

573 posts, read 336,298 times
Quote:

I think you hit it on the nose BB. There's Chinatown in LA and NYC and smaller ones in other cities, there's Irish conclaves in Boston, Russian and Italian communities in Chicago and Italian in St. Louis, etc. Even religious groups live in communities of their own: Jewish, Amish, etc.

Even foreign countries have communities that live in groups, Turkish communities in Germany for example - and actually were forced to live in certain areas by various German cities governments. So this isn't isolated to Indians, or to the US.

Having married a 2nd generation Indian woman, she is very adamant about not living in an "Indian community" area, and married a non-Indian. Having gotten to know her large extended family (who have been very accepting), she's not the only 2nd generation Indian to go outside of their own race...about 60% are dating or married to non-Indians. Small sample, but even going outside of the large extended family I see it with Indian coworkers.

Not sure why others do not see next generation Indians spreading out, moving into other communities, and are with non-Indians.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:50 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,465 times
Quote:
In general I agree with you and I think it helps them do as well as they do professionally. I think I have a familiarity with the topic because I'm a white American but married a first generation Indian. I believe he started out with befriending only other Indians but as time wore on and he became more comfortable in the U.S. he clearly branched out. I think at this point he'll make friends with anyone, though deep down I think he will always be most comfortable and closest to other first-gen Indians.

And I can't blame him. If I moved to India although I'm sure over time I'd make friends with locals I know for at least some time I would seek out and prefer the company of English-speaking expats. The pull of shared language, food, culture, background etc. is very strong and provides a sense of being understood and accepted that I don't think can be replaced for most first-gens no matter where they come from.

I have actually found all of his Indian friends (all of which are first-gen) to be very accepting of our relationship/marriage and of me in general. If any of them disapprove, I really can't tell. We have gotten some nasty or surprised looks from some old Indian aunties, but to be honest we've gotten the same from older white American women too. None of the younger educated set cares one bit that he's Indian and I'm a white American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: