Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 4,081 times

Advertisements

Our car was stolen from our apartment parking lot between 6.30 AM (car was last seen by me) and 11 AM. We have informed the police and the insurance. The leasing office said they have no camera installed and no way to track who took the car.
Are they anyway accountable for the property loss happened from their premises? Or I just need to talk to the insurance. I am so confused and sad.
My car was only a year old
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 10:26 AM

11,852 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Just talk with your insurance. Your apartment complex is not liable for vehicle thefts.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:45 AM

269 posts, read 574,762 times
Sorry to hear about this, but in most likelihood, your apartment complex will probably not be held liable for any thefts that occur there, and they probably have liability waivers posted all around the complex to protect them legally.

submit a copy of the police report to your insurance company as support.

Old 06-06-2017, 10:55 AM

103 posts, read 237,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharmilaray View Post
Our car was stolen from our apartment parking lot between 6.30 AM (car was last seen by me) and 11 AM. We have informed the police and the insurance. The leasing office said they have no camera installed and no way to track who took the car.
Are they anyway accountable for the property loss happened from their premises? Or I just need to talk to the insurance. I am so confused and sad.
My car was only a year old
Sorry to hear about your car theft. Most apt complexes will not be liable for auto thefts.

Since your car is relatively new, does it have any kind of service like OnStar where it can be tracked. I know that OnStar can tack cars if they have been stolen.

Dealing with the police and the insurance companies are definitely a headache. I hope the Police can do something for you.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:33 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Sorry to hear that.

I had a car stolen about six weeks ago. Do not expect much from the police. They have a lot of things to do and unfortunately, tracking a stolen car is pretty low priority. My car was found two weeks later and ended up being totaled due to damage (it looks like they went joy-riding and had quite a party inside!) The only interaction I had was when the car was recovered and I got a call to come pick it up from the impound lot.

Since your car is new, hopefully you have comprehensive coverage which would cover the theft. The insurance company will have a period of time they wait until they determine if it is recoverable or not. Save all of your receipts - Uber, Lyft, rental car, etc.

An "I don't know you question" is to ask if your payments were current? Is there any chance it was repossessed? It seems odd that it would be stolen in daylight hours.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks all for your comment.

jennifw- yes the payments are current and I have informed the lienholder already about the theft.
It was not repossessed. This is a valid question, though.
I was really surprised that it was stolen in the daylight, a new car without ringing the alarm, no broken glass, no key is lost.

rok8man- talked to the car dealership and they told us that as I haven't bought the optional navigation package, they cannot track the car.

The insurance has accepted the claim, i need to wait for 10 days before they can make the payment (minus the deductible), which is fair.

Old 06-06-2017, 02:13 PM

103 posts, read 237,213 times
Another thing to check is if you had Gap insurance. If you dont have that you will be liable to pay the difference between what the Insurance company deems your car value is and the loan amount on the car left which can be different. I had an accident and totaled the car and the insurance company gave me grief on that even though I had gap insurance.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:08 PM

165 posts, read 196,674 times
This is why you don't live in bad neighborhoods. Why would the apartment complex be liable? This is a free country last time I checked.

Old 06-06-2017, 07:35 PM

rok8man-thanks for your input.
We do have GAP insurance.

iberanon- can you please elaborate what do you mean by bad neighborhood? The apartment complex I live has good rating in all the sites.
I am not trying to make them liable, was just hoping that they have some way to track. That would have been very helpful.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:26 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,634,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iberanon View Post
This is why you don't live in bad neighborhoods. Why would the apartment complex be liable? This is a free country last time I checked.
hmmm.... bad things only happen in bad areas? My car was stolen in April from a neighborhood with million dollar homes. Your logic is off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas