Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 01:57 PM

3 posts, read 3,405 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are currently renting in Addison (been here 1 year) and planning to buy a house in a couple of years. I've browsed around this forum and love reading the other posts on similar questions, I just wanted to put in our own info and see if anyone has some thoughts.

Combined income: $160k/year. However, this will likely fluctuate in the next 2-5 years as I will be transitioning to a new career that will most likely require some low-paid internship hours. His income alone is $105k.

We have very little liquid savings, have been putting it all in retirement accounts, so we don't have a lot for a down payment right now. Working on it. For this reason we're really hoping to stick to price range of $250k and under.

Looking for: at least 3br/2ba. My husband works in west Plano but often telecommutes, and I can likely find a job in any area so commute isn't a huge factor. North of 30 would be nice.

No kids yet, but hopefully soon.

Here's my biggest issue: if we have kids, I don't necessarily care as much about the "school quality" rating in terms of test scores and Ivy League admissions. I care more about living in a diverse and friendly community where my kids would get to be around a lot of people who don't look like them (we're white). My husband & I are both highly educated and grew up in diverse big-city districts where we attended magnet schools. I know Dallas ISD has a few great magnets, but I also have heard they're incredibly selective. So if we lived in DISD it wouldn't be a guarantee, and I don't know much about other non-magnets. Where else should we be looking? We are not really interested in charter schools or private schools, we really believe in supporting our local public school district.

Oh, also, I really love neighborhoods with big, tall old trees.

Last edited by annaliezard; 06-15-2017 at 02:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 02:00 PM

692 posts, read 855,382 times
There is a lot of Irving that most of this board wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole that actually satisfies what you're looking at very well, and within assumed price range.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:52 PM

450 posts, read 555,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaliezard View Post
Here's my biggest issue: if we have kids, I don't necessarily care as much about the "school quality" rating in terms of test scores and Ivy League admissions. I care more about living in a diverse and friendly community where my kids would get to be around a lot of people who don't look like them (we're white). My husband & I are both highly educated and grew up in diverse big-city districts where we attended magnet schools. I know Dallas ISD has a few great magnets, but I also have heard they're incredibly selective. So if we lived in DISD it wouldn't be a guarantee, and I don't know much about other non-magnets. Where else should we be looking? We are not really interested in charter schools or private schools, we really believe in supporting our local public school district.

GASP But think of the children!?!!?! Don't you want to send your kids to the elitest private schools if you can (while delaying your retirement to do so)?

Someone on here actually said that to me.

The ol City Data Dallas rule of thumb:
"Public school for drug dealers and crack heads, Private Schools for cash money millionaires"

Don't forget there are Public Charter Schools based on a lotto system. Supposedly really good.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:00 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,777,985 times
Richardson? Might be a bit of a commute to West Plano but it's just about the most diverse place in the metroplex. And if your husband telecommutes some, the commute north and west won't be so bad if he doesn't have to do it every single day. You also wouldn't have to sacrifice school quality to achieve diversity.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,405 times
thank you! Richardson is definitely on our list

Old 06-15-2017, 06:35 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Carrollton, too.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:46 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,380 times
Many neighborhoods in Carrollton, Northeast Irving, Richardson, and the East Plano area will do nicely.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:51 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,084,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post
GASP But think of the children!?!!?! Don't you want to send your kids to the elitest private schools if you can (while delaying your retirement to do so)?

Someone on here actually said that to me.

The ol City Data Dallas rule of thumb:
"Public school for drug dealers and crack heads, Private Schools for cash money millionaires.
Not true... I'd say City-Data is has way more "my(public) school district is better than yours" arguments. And they are way more popular than the Public vs Private threads.

Way more popular.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:51 PM

786 posts, read 1,223,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaliezard View Post
Hello! My husband and I are currently renting in Addison (been here 1 year) and planning to buy a house in a couple of years. I've browsed around this forum and love reading the other posts on similar questions, I just wanted to put in our own info and see if anyone has some thoughts.

Combined income: $160k/year. However, this will likely fluctuate in the next 2-5 years as I will be transitioning to a new career that will most likely require some low-paid internship hours. His income alone is $105k.

We have very little liquid savings, have been putting it all in retirement accounts, so we don't have a lot for a down payment right now. Working on it. For this reason we're really hoping to stick to price range of $250k and under.

Looking for: at least 3br/2ba. My husband works in west Plano but often telecommutes, and I can likely find a job in any area so commute isn't a huge factor. North of 30 would be nice.

No kids yet, but hopefully soon.

It sounds like you're describing Richardson, Lake Highlands or Lakewood without the appropriate budget for those areas.

Look in zip codes 75075, 75007 & 75080.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:06 PM

450 posts, read 555,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLDSoon View Post
Not true... I'd say City-Data is has way more "my(public) school district is better than yours" arguments. And they are way more popular than the Public vs Private threads.

Way more popular.
I redact my prior comment. You seem to rep Public schools in your posts.

There are 4 threads on the front page asking "what elitist school must I send my kid to so they get into an Ivy League" on the front page.

The private school folks get extremely butt hurt when you say ps isn't worth it, in your opinion.

Last edited by gocubs418; 06-15-2017 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: