Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 09:59 PM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

We are making a lot of changes to the pad as we've decided to make this place home base for the duration or until my wife kicks me out.

I need input:
1. Are pot fillers actually used? Due to some demolition we can add one for filler cost plus about $50.

2. Give me the pros and cons of lighter colored almost white quartzite counter tops. My wife wants them so there is no discussion to be had.

3. Our house is old and the brick is beginning to break down should we seal it - good for 5 or 6 years and looks a little funky IMO or paint it - good for 15-18 years when done right or do a German smear?

4. We are adding a fair bit of wood flooring feathering that into with some existing 3-1/4 #1 red oak that will be sanded and all of it will be finished the same stain color. My wife wants hand-scraping, a dark color, wood in the kitchen etc. and we have 3 large dogs to boot.
A. Is with the grain or across the grain scraping better and why? I don't want splinters.
B. Is an oil-based or a water-based top coat tougher?

Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 PM

420 posts, read 403,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
We are making a lot of changes to the pad as we've decided to make this place home base for the duration or until my wife kicks me out.

I need input:
1. Are pot fillers actually used? Due to some demolition we can add one for filler cost plus about $50.

2. Give me the pros and cons of lighter colored almost white quartzite counter tops. My wife wants them so there is no discussion to be had.

3. Our house is old and the brick is beginning to break down should we seal it - good for 5 or 6 years and looks a little funky IMO or paint it - good for 15-18 years when done right or do a German smear?

4. We are adding a fair bit of wood flooring feathering that into with some existing 3-1/4 #1 red oak that will be sanded and all of it will be finished the same stain color. My wife wants hand-scraping, a dark color, wood in the kitchen etc. and we have 3 large dogs to boot.
A. Is with the grain or across the grain scraping better and why? I don't want splinters.

Thx.
1. Really depends on the distance from the stove top to the faucet, and the type of sink you have. In my old house, I used it all the time... this one? Never. It's also one more thing to break or leak.

2. They look really good, hide dust, just watch out for red wine. I've got them now, and I don't get that OCD cringe when I come through in the morning and see the haze of dust in the early AM sunlight.

3. Single story? I might paint it. Really depends on the exterior style though.. shutters, landscaping, roofline, etc.

4. With, and nothing will stand up to dogs. I like having the water based because I can touch it up easier and it seems to "buff out" better. Although I do a mini refinish once a year (2 big dogs that tear out the back door when I open it and charge the front like they're going to kill - I had to replace tile because they were pulling up grout doing this)

Old 06-27-2017, 10:49 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Quote:

I need input:

Thx.
1. Pot fillers are great and if you can have one installed for $50 its a great buy.
2. Pros -- wife wants it. Cons -- if you don't get it wife will be unhappy
3. Paint
4. Hand scraped was great at our old house; we had 2 personal dogs and bunches of foster dogs...held up totally; we had ours done while we were on a 3-week vacation and I don't remember if oil or water. I think ours was scrapped with the grain. Never had splinters.

Last edited by WorldKlas; 06-27-2017 at 11:04 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
1. No opinion
2. If it is the uniform pattern quartz, I think it might date quickly, but I could be wrong. Then again, anything on a countertop is going to date.
3. I've always loved the look of German Smear, but it would depend on the style of your house. Sealed would look funny to me.
4. My parents have hand scraped that has held up well for the past 3 years with one medium sized dog...not the same though. I think it is with the grain, but I am not sure.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
I'll leave the rest to the others - but ask yourself this about #1:

WHEN the valve starts leaking (and it WILL, sooner or later), where will the dripping water go? And how many hours/days will it be before you get back home and see it spreading across that wood floor?

Saw a home that had one leak while the owner was out of town - came home to find several inches of water soaking into their cabinets, floor, sheetrock walls, carpets (including some VERY expensive American Indian rugs) and custom furniture. Took several months to repair - IIRC, the bill was north of $400k - and some of the stuff was antique, so no way to replace.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
1. No opinion
2. If it is the uniform pattern quartz, I think it might date quickly, but I could be wrong. Then again, anything on a countertop is going to date.
3. I've always loved the look of German Smear, but it would depend on the style of your house. Sealed would look funny to me.
4. My parents have hand scraped that has held up well for the past 3 years with one medium sized dog...not the same though. I think it is with the grain, but I am not sure.
It's natural quartzite.

Old 06-28-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite76 View Post
1. Really depends on the distance from the stove top to the faucet, and the type of sink you have. In my old house, I used it all the time... this one? Never. It's also one more thing to break or leak.

2. They look really good, hide dust, just watch out for red wine. I've got them now, and I don't get that OCD cringe when I come through in the morning and see the haze of dust in the early AM sunlight.

3. Single story? I might paint it. Really depends on the exterior style though.. shutters, landscaping, roofline, etc.

4. With, and nothing will stand up to dogs. I like having the water based because I can touch it up easier and it seems to "buff out" better. Although I do a mini refinish once a year (2 big dogs that tear out the back door when I open it and charge the front like they're going to kill - I had to replace tile because they were pulling up grout doing this)
1. The primary kitchen sink is about a step and a half from the stove top.

2. Excellent info.

3. Single story, 1964 ranch. We are going for sort of a softish combination of mid-century modern and modern ranch. My brother is an architect.........he says to paint the house white with most trim in medium and light grays, and put on an very dark metal roof. Paint does seem to be the most reasonable means to protect the brick. Smears look the best IMO.

4. A vote for with. Water comment noted.

Thanks.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:21 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:

I need input:

Thx.
1. We wish we had a pot filler. We have a large kitchen, and the sink is on the other side from the cooktop. However, in our last home, we had one in a smaller kitchen, and the sink was pretty close so we never really used it. I would say this one depends entirely on your layout and whether there is any added convenience, but if you can get it done cheaply I would say go for it... some future buyer may really like that addition even if it means that you don't use it much.

2. Pros and cons of quartzite? It's the "in" material right now, along with quartz, but I would say there is little difference between going with granite, or some marbles, etc, as far as look and aesthetic are concerned. Should hold up just as good if not better than granite. Staining will be an issue though, especially on a very white color. For that reason alone I would go with a darker color or stick with granite, but we have young kids as factor for us.

3. I think I'd paint.

4. Our handscraped floors go with the grain for the most part, though there are some gouges across the grain for character. After the stain goes on and they are buffed, no problems with splinters. Not sure what type of coating is tougher. I can tell you that our 110lb dog can scratch our floors if he tries to run. It somewhat blends in due to the nature of handscraped wood, but we will need to refinish our floors before we'd attempt to sell our home. I don't think the size of the dog matters though, as the previous owners had 3 little dogs, and you can see small thin scratches in a lot of places that were already there when we moved in.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:32 AM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
I love the look of painted brick. Definitely look into paint that contains the mold inhibitor to help keep the paint cleaner, longer.

Quartzite is super popular right now but I have read where it doesn't hold up as well as granite over the long term, so just be aware of that. Granite is available in white and cream. Marble is beautiful but not worth the trouble IMO. There is no way to prevent marble from staining and etching, even with sealers.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:40 AM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times
1. One more thing that may leak.
2. If it makes her happy, this is a big pro.
3. It depends upon level of damage, paint and sealants can trap moisture and may cause bigger issues. In a subdivision in my area, someone recently removed aging bricks and got stucco, house looks new. Personally, I don't like painted brick, would get it powerwashed, remortared and sealed, replace damaged bricks. German smear/schemer looks better than paint.
4. Our first floor has travertine flooring (other than bedrooms and formals) and it held strong against dogs and kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
View detailed profiles of: