Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 02:20 PM

3,678 posts, read 4,175,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiping View Post
Some online listing website (they just IPO at Nasdaq) and their agents already have a large share of real estate transactions in CA.
When you sell an 1MM house, 1.5% rebate is huge.

They may see setback and fights from traditional agents soon. Like what happened to TrueCar years ago.
Let's assume a million dollar home sells 3 times in 10 years with 6% commission every time. Even if price isn't going up with inflation and market changes, by the time fourth buyer comes, commission would add up and he'll have to pay an additional $180k now folded in new price. Wouldn't it be ludicrous to tell him that buyer doesn't pay commission?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 02:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
Let's assume a million dollar home sells 3 times in 10 years with 6% commission every time. Even if price isn't going up with inflation and market changes, by the time fourth buyer comes, commission would add up and he'll have to pay an additional $180k now folded in new price. Wouldn't it be ludicrous to tell him that buyer doesn't pay commission?
But that's not how housing values work. If a $1M house is stagnant in value for 10 years, each seller will pay $60k in traditional commission to be split between agents & their respective brokerages. You can't keep tacking on commission to the market value (meaning $1M house would sell for $1.18M because each seller is adding the commission to the home value) if the house isn't worth that much and won't appraise for that much. It just doesn't work that way.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:40 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,661,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
On a used home, The listing agent has an agreement to charge a certain % of money from the seller. If you don't use an agent the Listing agent can keep the entire amount.

Builders pay agents out of their marketing budget. In almost all cases if you do or don't have an agent it does not affect the sales price of the home.

I've helped probably 400 couples buy new construction. I guarantee I know things you'll never know or think of to ask.
Working for a builder, a buyer will not get any difference in price whether they have a realtor or not. I dont know of any that do.

Old 10-02-2017, 09:38 PM

271 posts, read 295,981 times
op, i feel your pain. i was in the market to buy a house in the DFW area earlier this year and i ran into the same problem. After doing some extensive research on my own, this is what i have learned.
Texas is a non disclosure state, meaning the sale record of real estates is private information. If you want to have access to the sales record around a particular neighborhood, aka comps, you need to have access to the MLS, the only way to access the MLS is get a real estate license and work under a broker. However, as buyers, there are ways to minimize the cost,
1. negotiate the commission with realtors. i know for a fact that there are realtors in DFW that are willing to offer 1.5% rebate on the 3% commission. Some even willing to offer up to 2%. Just keep in mind, if you want the 1.5 or 2% commission, don't expect the realtors to do much for you besides forwarding you the MLS listings and submitting offers for you.
This means you will have to go to open houses yourself, if you find a house that you really like, but it doesn't have an open house and you want a realtor to open the door for you, you probably will not get the 1.5% or 2% rebate.
2. get your own license and work under a broker. Depending the price of the house that you want to buy, it might worth it.
3. find houses that are FSBO

*after reading some of the replies from other people about ways to get around agents, check out opendoor.com, they are flourishing in the DFW area, they are like carmax, except they buy and sell houses, carmax sells cars.

Last edited by some1livesinamerica; 10-02-2017 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas