Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 04:46 PM

7 posts, read 18,760 times

Advertisements

We are looking in the $600,000-$800,000 price range for a 4+ bedroom home in a Dallas Suburb, we have looked at West Plano, Frisco, Coppell, etc. We want an excellent school district, things to do and easy travel into Dallas and Ft. Worth equally. We are currently renting in Lake Highlands and want to find a home to live in. We like to go out for dinner, drinks, sporting events and socializing. We have dogs so we need some yard and we would love a gated community. Any recommendations??? I can supply more information, but we have seriously considered Frisco and Coppell up to this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 07:05 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Colleyville
Coppell

Old 08-20-2011, 07:07 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,881,949 times
Colleyville
Southlake
Coppell

Old 08-20-2011, 07:49 PM

325 posts, read 757,174 times
Southlake. Searches turn up many housing options that are big and have a 1/2 acre or more of property...

Frisco? Fort Worth commute would be brutal, and in the price range you're looking at, you're in the upper end of housing here...

Old 08-20-2011, 09:04 PM

92 posts, read 291,564 times
Frisco- Starwood Estates maybe Prosper!

Old 08-20-2011, 11:53 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,559,658 times
I would say Southlake and Colleyville, too. Maybe Flower Mound as well, but I cannot think of any gated communities off the top of my head. Still plenty of beautiful homes in your price range.

Coppell isn't bad, but getting to Ft. Worth can be a pain with traffic. It also isn't known for its yards...though you might find something decent in your price range.

If equal travel to Dallas & Fort Worth is truly your commuting situation, I wouldn't look any further in Plano or Frisco.

Old 08-21-2011, 12:45 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
I think that Coppell and Southlake are your 2 options that would put you at a good commute between Dallas and Fort worth, have excellent school districts too. Coppell would be a little tough at getting an extra large yard but depending on the home size, you can find something decent if it's for the dogs. Also, if you really want a gated community, I would suggest Hackberry Creek in Irving, spend a little less and go the private school route.

Naima

Old 08-21-2011, 01:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Can't argue with Southlake or Coppell--both ISDs are excellent
Coppell would be more difficult to get a larger lot and there is some flight noise in some parts of Coppell like there are in a few areas of Southlake--not that bad--you just need to get used to it--
does not shake the windows or break glass or anything like that--

Southlake has lot of options right now--your price range is pretty popular--might have more luck with home little less expensive but still very nice

Colleyville itself has lot to offer--schools on Colleyville side of GCISD are strong but lot of parents prefer Heritage over Grapevine HS

Lewisville ISD also has some excellent schools--Flower Mound side of the district is probably where you would find your house choices better--
checkout the list of National Merit scholars from LISD--they throw up some good numbers
there are plenty of neighborhoods where you could find nice homes on larger lots
commuting is the issue from Flower Mound...
getting in and out is problem because of general distance, road layout, and the 121/114 in Grapevine area is under construction and will be for a year or more--horrible stretch of road

while the Bush toll road is the best road in DFW right now--going from the Legacy area of Plano or little further north takes about 25-50 min into 183/Mid Cities depending on time of day/amount of traffic

so going into FTW proper would be close to an hour for sure--especially with 183 under construction as well--this also will last two years in different stages--right now they are doing the Mid Cities and prepping the 820 Loop and 121 into FTW

Southlake, Colleyville have lot to offer as far as shopping, restaurants and they are close to other areas via surface roads --lots of children's activities/good hospitals, churches

North Keller has some beautiful neighborhoods in your price range but distance to Dallas would make them not a good option

will PM a good MLS site to check out the listings on Tarrant side (but it covers all metroplex well)

Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 18,760 times
We have a contract in-hand for a home in the Lakes at Las Colinas, my wife doesn't want to live west of the airport and Frisco ended up being too far away. Gated New Community within walking distance of Las Colinas Downtown, LBH Park and Golf Course, a couple bike and running paths and we're just going to send our kids to private I guess. Westwood for our daughter for the time being, maybe North Hills Prep. if we have other kids, or transfer my daughter. I'll update if we move in! Thanks for all the advice!

Old 03-07-2012, 08:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurcoRick View Post
We have a contract in-hand for a home in the Lakes at Las Colinas, my wife doesn't want to live west of the airport and Frisco ended up being too far away. Gated New Community within walking distance of Las Colinas Downtown, LBH Park and Golf Course, a couple bike and running paths and we're just going to send our kids to private I guess. Westwood for our daughter for the time being, maybe North Hills Prep. if we have other kids, or transfer my daughter. I'll update if we move in! Thanks for all the advice!
Whoo Hoo! I just know you'll love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas