Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 11:51 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVV21 View Post
Thanks for quick reply,TurtleCreek80!

I do appreciate your inputs and giving me other perspective as I am not very familiar with the area.We really quite serious about this move, we have recently made a short visit to Dallas area couple of weeks ago, to get the feel of the area and narrow down my assumptions.We liked it in general ... new construction, schools in community, shopping malls, neat and nice neighborhood.
In short time,we explored Frisco,Prosper and McKinney area and see some old and new construction properties.we did realize that we will get more value for our money in terms of buying house here.I did like some homes in Panther Creek and Miramonte community in Frisco.

I loved a new construction house by Grand Homes costing around 620K but i was told that it is mapped to Prosper ISD and a new elementary and middle school being constructed in walking distance.Not sure, how this new school will be rated?
Am I hitting the right area?or I need to explore more??

Are you familiar with this area?Could you please share some thought on the same lines??
It's a beating getting to DFW or Love Field from these suburbs. None are "close."

If you want to be close to DFW go with what other posters have said and look in the mid-cities, Grapevine, or Colleyville. Southlake and Westlake are out of your price range.

As an aside...if you think you'll miss what the "tri-state" area has to offer (and I don't know what you think that is...restaurants, culture, etc) you'll probably be bored stiff in the Dallas suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 01:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
It's a beating getting to DFW or Love Field from these suburbs. None are "close."
They aren't close, but it's not a beating either. The tollway goes directly to the airport and is easily accessible from McKinney & Frisco. It's very easy, and the only time its crowded is at rush hour or some event like an accident or construction. Prosper is a little worse, but still not that big a deal. The problem is physical distance - McKinney is probably 30 miles from the airport. But they are 'easy' miles like driving down the interstate.

Old 02-27-2018, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
They aren't close, but it's not a beating either. The tollway goes directly to the airport and is easily accessible from McKinney & Frisco. It's very easy, and the only time its crowded is at rush hour or some event like an accident or construction. Prosper is a little worse, but still not that big a deal. The problem is physical distance - McKinney is probably 30 miles from the airport. But they are 'easy' miles like driving down the interstate.
Depends on your definition of "easy", I guess. If I was commuting weekly to/from the airport, I wouldn't consider living 30 miles from it. YMMV...and it clearly does!

Old 02-27-2018, 01:55 PM

11 posts, read 16,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssaleh View Post
Grapevine/Colleyville ISD is one of the top school districts along with Carroll ISD in Southlake and Lewisville ISD in Flower Mound. You can't go wrong in any of these areas with your budget.
I would add Coppell to this list.

Old 02-27-2018, 03:35 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
If I was commuting weekly to/from the airport, I wouldn't consider living 30 miles from it. YMMV...and it clearly does!
Until that Costco was built in Dallas (like last year), the average person had to drive close to 20 miles to go to one of the other suburban ones. I'd count it as kind of the same thing. You should optimize for the trips you make the most often, but there's not much you can do about once a week kind of things.

Old 02-27-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Until that Costco was built in Dallas (like last year), the average person had to drive close to 20 miles to go to one of the other suburban ones. I'd count it as kind of the same thing. You should optimize for the trips you make the most often, but there's not much you can do about once a week kind of things.
I suppose it all depends on one's tolerance for driving in Dallas traffic. I have a pretty low tolerance level for that stuff; if I have to drive 20 miles to go to Costco, I simply won't go to Costco. I'd consider a 30-mile roundtrip on a weekly basis to be a dealbreaker.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:29 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
The problem is that you're claiming 1. that property values don't hold up and 2. there's nothing to do when you're only checking out relatively new suburbs that aren't built out yet. Of course property values don't always hold up if someone can easily build a brand new similar home down the street and there hasn't been much of an opportunity yet build a community and neighborhood feel. It's also too soon to know if property values will hold their own in some of those super new areas. There's tons of places in the metroplex that offer both but they won't be in the far exurbs yet.

You're doing what so many transplants to the area do. They complain about how bland the area is but only consider moving to the far outskirts of town to buy a newer house in a relatively new subdivision. Character doesn't happen overnight.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:41 AM

25 posts, read 37,350 times
Thanks Everyone! Its wise to have different perspectives...this is helping me quite a bit in terms of learning about the area.

I did explore grapevine on zillow and found schools rating is not great in this area.Am I missing something ?

Old 02-28-2018, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 10,565 times
Hi OP,

I'm on the same boat as you, but coming in from the DC suburbs. What is your current impresion. I did a 1 week long stay at the DFW area. My wife fell in love with the Prosper area. I, myself am a bit worried about the "extreme-right". I don't know if my worries are unfounded. I don't strongly lean either way on the political spectrum and I'm not really affiliated with any religion. But it seems that religion is so embedded in everything here (so many ads on the radio) that it's now worrying me.

DC (and it's suburbs) are not nearly as right-winged as here. FWIW I don't feel them pushing left hard either.

What I'm looking for is somewhere to raise our kids (they're preschool age right now). We both work from home.

Old 02-28-2018, 08:46 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times
You're more likely to find more conservative residents in the smaller towns. Living in Dallas, Plano, Richardson, or even certain areas of Fort Worth will be more along the lines of your views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas