Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 09:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times

Advertisements

Driving a long way to have fun is an intermittent thing. Driving a long way to and from work is every.single.freaking.day. Don't forget that if it rains in the afternoon, your commute will double in length (I have never understood this, but it will happen). And it rains a lot in the afternoon here, in the summer and fall.

Just living in an apartment complex, by itself, will reduce the familyville vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 09:02 AM

379 posts, read 366,515 times
All of the transplants you run into that are miserable in "Dallas" are the ones that live out in McMansionville north of 635. I'm sorry, but Shops at Legacy is a pathetic place to socialize if you're 24 years old. Great place to take the kids for a walk without having to be panhandled but who really wants to spend time in these Disneyland fake urban places if they don't have to because of Little Johnny? You want to be barhopping in Deep Ellum before a show at Bomb Factory not sitting at the bar in a chain restaurant in a master planned "urban" space.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4shionablecha0s View Post
All of the transplants you run into that are miserable in "Dallas" are the ones that live out in McMansionville north of 635. I'm sorry, but Shops at Legacy is a pathetic place to socialize if you're 24 years old. Great place to take the kids for a walk without having to be panhandled but who really wants to spend time in these Disneyland fake urban places if they don't have to because of Little Johnny? You want to be barhopping in Deep Ellum before a show at Bomb Factory not sitting at the bar in a chain restaurant in a master planned "urban" space.
I agree with you about how pathetic the fake urban spaces are, but the question is, will the OP be willing to spend 90-180 minutes every single day in traffic, just to be near where "it's happening"? That's a question only he can answer.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:30 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I agree with you about how pathetic the fake urban spaces are, but the question is, will the OP be willing to spend 90-180 minutes every single day in traffic, just to be near where "it's happening"? That's a question only he can answer.
I used to think that it made more sense to live closer to work and commute to fun, but I was wrong.

An hour-long uber on the weekend will cost you as much as your gas for the whole week and living so far away from your peers will make hopping over to your favourite place for happy hour all but impossible.

Socializing isn't just for the weekends, especially when you are 24.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Amen.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Agree. Many of the younger people who have a subpar experience in "Dallas" are the ones who got jobs in the suburbs and lived close to work. Work is transient. A typical tenure in a job is like 2-3 years. Not getting it right socially for 2-3 years can be costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
The OP said he's just considering this job. He doesn't have to take it. Perhaps in San Antonio he has a job that is close to the social scene for 20 somethings there. If he really wants to come to Dallas, he could find a job closer to the central city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I used to think that it made more sense to live closer to work and commute to fun, but I was wrong.

Socializing isn't just for the weekends, especially when you are 24.
I used to think that too, until I had the experience that I described earlier in this thread in Phoenix.

A 24 year old who is new to a city and unattached is able to socialize every night. A Tuesday night isn't much different from a Friday night. Some might even argue that it is better to go out on a Tuesday night.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:02 PM

317 posts, read 228,651 times
Austin Ranch in the Colony. Super short commute, very social scene for young actives.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:10 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
Agree. Many of the younger people who have a subpar experience in "Dallas" are the ones who got jobs in the suburbs and lived close to work.
I chose to live close to friends and social activities and it broke me. Never again. I'll take the short commute to work over hanging with friends. The amount of money I spent commuting to work then could have set me for life. Also, maybe it's different now, but the 'cool social locations' back then changed dramatically every few years. First it was Deep Ellum, then Addison, then Uptown, and the one left behind became a no-mans land, like Addison still seems today. All the places we used to go are totally gone.

Not only that, friends lived in many different areas: Ft Worth, Dallas Farmers Market, Addison, North Dallas. McKinney, Oak Cliff. Trying to live close to them would be nuts. I literally had friends who lived in the midcities (Hurst, Bedford) because their main friends lived in Dallas and some in Ft Worth.

Screw that. Make a short drive to work.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Also, maybe it's different now, but the 'cool social locations' back then changed dramatically every few years. First it was Deep Ellum, then Addison, then Uptown, and the one left behind became a no-mans land, like Addison still seems today. All the places we used to go are totally gone.
It's been Uptown, Deep Ellum, and Knox Henderson for the past 10 years. All three have shifted in being #1 but the place to be hasn't moved very far in over a decade. Nearby Lower Greenville and Bishop arts are secondary spots and have been for years.

It's pretty safe to get a place anywhere around these areas and have plenty of nightlife.

Addison has been on par with maybe Lower Greenville on and off in the last decade or so, but the others have been steady.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Agree. Many of the younger people who have a subpar experience in "Dallas" are the ones who got jobs in the suburbs and lived close to work. Work is transient. A typical tenure in a job is like 2-3 years. Not getting it right socially for 2-3 years can be costly.
100%

Everyone at my job who doesn't own a home and is under 35 has or is moving to Dallas. It's worth living closer to the action and driving to work instead of having 1 day a week to meet new people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas