Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 09:17 PM

34 posts, read 31,439 times

Advertisements

Native Houstonian that moved to DFW 3 years ago. Not going to lie, I used to HATE Dallas because of the lack of food options, lack of diversity, and the overall bougie-attitude. I think it has to do with the competitiveness and city rivalry played a part in it as well.

I had to visit Houston a few weeks ago and I did a lot self-reflection and I came to the realization that there's simply no future for me there. Yeah, great food and diversity but horrible traffic, humid and oppressive heat (I guess this is somewhat of a fair tradeoff for DFW), crazy amount of crime, and lack of job opportunities. Now i'm starting to like Dallas, especially North Dallas. Everything is cleaner and orderly and Plano is the safest city in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 07:04 AM

573 posts, read 335,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTexasGuy View Post
Sounds like you have a personal problem. I have lived in and around DFW all my life, and I have never once considered it a racist and segregated area; and I'm Hispanic. Do you have some sort solution in search of a made up problem?
DFW is not a racist or segregated area? There is racism, it's in the news. There was also a Nov 2018 article in the DMN about the increasing segregation in DFW. So it's amazing that you've never heard of this living all your life in DFW considering it's been in the news all your life.

Is it as racist as J says, I don't believe so, but that's his experience and I don't know it. I've personally be subject to racism by Dallasites a few times, and so has my wife much more than me. Doesn't make DFW a full-blown racist metro, but racism is there, just like in many places throughout the entire world.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:39 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0y88 View Post
Native Houstonian that moved to DFW 3 years ago. Not going to lie, I used to HATE Dallas because of the lack of food options, lack of diversity, and the overall bougie-attitude. I think it has to do with the competitiveness and city rivalry played a part in it as well.

I had to visit Houston a few weeks ago and I did a lot self-reflection and I came to the realization that there's simply no future for me there. Yeah, great food and diversity but horrible traffic, humid and oppressive heat (I guess this is somewhat of a fair tradeoff for DFW), crazy amount of crime, and lack of job opportunities. Now i'm starting to like Dallas, especially North Dallas. Everything is cleaner and orderly and Plano is the safest city in America.
This is a funny statement to me. I will agree Houston has a slightly better food scene and is a little more diverse, (it certainly does a better job of integrating, but is far from perfect) but in general, DFW is still among the most diverse places not just in the US, but the world, and it also has an incredible food scene.

You have to be from one of the two metros and looking at them through rival eyes to think they are really THAT different from eachother....really they have way more in common than different.

I've said it before and will say it again. No 2 large cities have more in common with each other.

You would have very little experience in other places to think that Dallas is anything other than very diverse, the issues with segregation aside.

DFW is much more diverse than many global cities not to mention nearly all midsized or small ones.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
DFW is not a racist or segregated area? There is racism, it's in the news. There was also a Nov 2018 article in the DMN about the increasing segregation in DFW. So it's amazing that you've never heard of this living all your life in DFW considering it's been in the news all your life.

Is it as racist as J says, I don't believe so, but that's his experience and I don't know it. I've personally be subject to racism by Dallasites a few times, and so has my wife much more than me. Doesn't make DFW a full-blown racist metro, but racism is there, just like in many places throughout the entire world.
I don't think he meant that racism wasn't here, it's everywhere. I think he meant that it wasn't particularly racist which it isn't.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:42 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, millennials certainly are pouring into "Uptown" (Oak Lawn), the "Design District" (Industrial Blvd.) and North Oak Cliff (N. Oak Cliff). I mean, you can hardly drive down McKinney without having to stop a half dozen times for guys with giant ironic beards and crewcuts wearing two-sizes-too-small suits and jaywalking while staring at their phones. If that's not Millennial, I don't know what is.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:54 AM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0y88 View Post

Whatever floats your boat - there's a lot of crime in Dallas too (especially this year) and the traffic isn't much better there but I do agree about the job thing - I personally think Dallas is an easier place to find a job in the majority of sectors. But the heat? Come on - I don't think anyone spends a moment in summertime Houston heat wishing they were in Dallas heat instead. Splitting hairs.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, millennials certainly are pouring into "Uptown" (Oak Lawn), the "Design District" (Industrial Blvd.) and North Oak Cliff (N. Oak Cliff). I mean, you can hardly drive down McKinney without having to stop a half dozen times for guys with giant ironic beards and crewcuts wearing two-sizes-too-small suits and jaywalking while staring at their phones. If that's not Millennial, I don't know what is.
It's ok to call it Riverfront Blvd they only changed the name in 2009.....

Old 08-16-2019, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Whatever floats your boat - there's a lot of crime in Dallas too (especially this year) and the traffic isn't much better there but I do agree about the job thing - I personally think Dallas is an easier place to find a job in the majority of sectors. But the heat? Come on - I don't think anyone spends a moment in summertime Houston heat wishing they were in Dallas heat instead. Splitting hairs.
Eh, both are terrible, but Houston humidity makes the heat marginally worse in Houston. IMO.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
LOL how very scientific of you.

It more interesting if you look at the actual population data.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...als-not-quite/

Old 08-16-2019, 08:39 AM

2,995 posts, read 3,099,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Eh, both are terrible, but Houston humidity makes the heat marginally worse in Houston. IMO.
Yeah, Houston and Dallas are both super hot in the summer (LOL, it's TEXAS, people...). But they are different kinds of heat. One thing I DEFINITELY don't like about Houston is that Houston's heat is that muggy, super wet and sticky, super humid type of heat that is typical of Gulf Coast cities, where as DFW heat is more dry; that's part of the reason why Dallas seems to see more seasonal change in climate and in temperature than Houston does. I'll take Dallas summers over Houston summers in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas