Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 07:17 AM

937 posts, read 743,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I mean, to play devil's advocate, I seem to remeber that you moved to one of the Northern Dallas suburbs.

If you had lived in a more intersting City Neighborhood you would have met more people like you mention, though no, not like New England or something.

There are plenty of intersting intellectual types in the right coffee shops and bars....
We have been living in suburbs for many years that have highly rated school systems and the extracurriculars that my kids participate in. In Denver and Dallas, we chose places where it would be easiest and safest for the kids to learn how to drive which to us meant the suburbs. This was very important to me.

Would Denver and Dallas have potentially been a different experience had we lived in one of these city neighborhoods? Yes, I would agree with you. We decided in both cases the 'burbs we chose were better for our kids at the stages that they were in growing up. Parks, bike trails, rec centers, youth sport, neighborhoods with kids all took precedence over my proclivity for a more cultured experience that included intellectual liberal Unitarians .

I don't care to continue living in family centric suburbs now that the empty nest is approaching soon. Husband and I are open to all possibilities now that we won't have schools, activities, and all the kid stuff to factor into the equation. Dallas has been fine but the gig is up here. Dallas wouldn't have been a place I would chosen given my druthers and so now we will move on and see what else is out there. We are now in a position to choose where we would like to live.

Last edited by Chloe333; 08-27-2019 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 10:08 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,680,702 times
Quote:
I was talking to my uber driver coming back into town via DFW and she (who was a AA lady from Detroit) mentioned how easy it is to "Get Comfortable" in DFW.

Her take was it is a easy place to get adjusted to regardless of where you are from or even if you really like Dallas or not.

She'd been in Dallas almost as long as I have and mentioned she had almost moved several times because she hates the weather and thinks the city is cookie cutter, but every time something had kept her here.

The opportunities are good here and while it isn't her favorite place it wasn't her least favorite either. In her words it is an easy place to "Get Comfortable in"

That is a spot on assessment...

Old 09-09-2019, 10:04 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,423,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
NOT A TROLLING THREAD. I have had an interest in the north Dallas/DFW area for some time now, and am genuinely curious as to the culture there from the viewpoints of out-of-state transplants.

For more context: I'm a lifelong Yankee from the New York City area, but I lean conservative and believe (at least from what I've read) that the culture of north Dallas and Texas in general may be a better fit for me.

I am aware that in 2019, things are different; there are liberals, Democrats, etc., in the south just as there are conservatives in the north. But the cultural flavor of different regions of America exist for a reason and remain.

Therefore, I ask... to those who came from other states, what were the significant cultural contrasts you experienced at first upon relocating? For example, if you were never around guns and were apathetic towards them, was the Lone Star State's historic embrace of the Second Amendment strike you as uncommon at first? (I'm a legal firearms owner and if I ever move to TX, I'm going to take full advantage of the right to keep and to bear arms.)

I am also aware that Texans, while welcoming and friendly, are not too pleased when outsiders (especially Yankees) move in and talk about how things are done differently "back home." I'm not referring to this and I fully believe in embracing the ways of one's new home/land/country.

Any and all feedback is very appreciated!
I was born & raised to adulthood in Chicago, lived in Middle TN, Phoenix, and North DFW suburbs.
Most of the differences I see are visual, restaurants/bars, layout, etc, than cultural. The city is nothing like NYC or Chicago so you will definitely notice that first. The Suburbs are just suburbs, not sure how else to explain that. The neighbors are friendly and wave.
1 thing I noticed since moving out of Chicago (you may notice this coming from New York City)---I don't remember the last time I got a ticket. I've been pulled over twice in TX and once or twice in other places. I have never gotten not even ONE parking ticket since moving from Chicago. I lived in the city of Chicago so that may be the biggest difference but I battled parking every week, getting up before x:00 o'clock to move my car, guaranteed to get at least 6 tickets a year. I've never had that issue after moving away..

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Unless you are involved in political circles or are decorating your yard with political signs, people here mind their own business. Everyone is too busy working, parenting, shopping, etc. to worry about everyone else.

Every day there are questions posted like: I'm biracial, I'm gay, I'm an interracial marriage, I'm conservative, I'm liberal, I believe in aliens, I like dogs, I like cats, I'm afraid of snakes, and so on.

This isn't 1862 and Dallas is not the Wild, Wild West. This is a major metro area with upscale amenities and a booming economy.

Be polite. Take care of your yard and your house. Don't drive like an idiot. Raise your children to have manners.

And you'll be fine.
I agree with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprawling_Homeowner View Post
I am aware that it's not the wild west.

I should have probably stated early on I have actually visited north Dallas towns and realized it's a collection of pretty (if similar-looking) suburban towns with lovely houses (which look the same in one town to another). I didn't see anyone open carrying although I do know there are shooting ranges there.
I have never seen anyone open carrying in DFW or any places in Texas I've visited in the 3 years I've been here.
I've never seen anyone open carrying in all of Tennessee, which is definitely more conservative I think, when I lived there and still regularly travel there.
Even when I lived in Phoenix, which I believe is also more conservative than DFW, I've only ever seen 1 person open carrying in the ~1 year I've lived there.

I just don't think it's common practice in most of the country, even in Texas.

Quote:

DFW is very visually bland, i agree. Even the city of Dallas itself is pretty bland, among the most borring visually speaking, but some parts are certainly more intersting than others.

Just like if you live in suburb of Denver an hour from the mountains you dont get the best of the Front Range, if you live in Collin County you dont get many of the cultural benifits of dallas you mostly just get the economic ones.

Not trying to be critical of you and EDS can attest, im far from a defensive Dallas booster. Good luck in your next city, i hope it is a better fit.
DFW overall is very bland for sure. It's my least favorite place that I've lived in, in that respect. I hate the sprawl, I hate having to drive 40 minutes to get anywhere not boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas