Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2021, 09:58 AM

19,798 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going tear down our lake house and are considering a timber frame and SIP rebuild, about 65 miles north of Dallas.

I found a place in The Hill Country but they won't work north of Temple. There's a guy in Weatherford who won't work outside a 35 or so mile radius. A guy in Tyler who won't work outside the area. And a guy in Ardmore who won't work in Texas. My bro. is an architect...he knows several TF builders in CO., WY., and Montana but they aren't coming here.

Thoughts? And before anyone chimes in that TF is more expensive than stick-framing, I know that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 11:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
Wow, I'm kind of surprised a guy out of Ardmore won't work 65 miles N of Dallas. That's practically IN Ardmore.

I am certain there's some kind of association of timber frame builders, nationwide. I don't know what it's called - and there might be more than one - but it seems that's a starting point.

Old 01-06-2021, 01:01 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,240,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Wow, I'm kind of surprised a guy out of Ardmore won't work 65 miles N of Dallas. That's practically IN Ardmore.

I am certain there's some kind of association of timber frame builders, nationwide. I don't know what it's called - and there might be more than one - but it seems that's a starting point.

Working out of state results in a lot of extra hassle when filing income taxes, especially for a business, and he probably doesn't want to mess with it.

EDS, I also looked into this for building on our property in Howe, unfortunately I couldn't find anyone local either. You may have to buy a kit and have it assembled by a custom builder here.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

I'll look into associations and whatnot tonight. Betting you are right.

______

The guy was really nice but he was more work than he can finish in OK. You are right he is just up the road as it were.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Working out of state results in a lot of extra hassle when filing income taxes, especially for a business, and he probably doesn't want to mess with it.

EDS, I also looked into this for building on our property in Howe, unfortunately I couldn't find anyone local either. You may have to buy a kit and have it assembled by a custom builder here.

I'll report back later. I have a call with a TF kit outfit set for 8am tomorrow.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:04 PM

230 posts, read 230,464 times
Riverbend Timber Framing builds across the US. They have reps assigned to each area. Quite pricey, but they are beautiful homes.

Old 01-17-2021, 03:16 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_potion_darling View Post
Riverbend Timber Framing builds across the US. They have reps assigned to each area. Quite pricey, but they are beautiful homes.
The OP is usually pretty thorough with his research. I am sure he ran into them when he looked up. They popped right up when I did a search too.

https://www.riverbendtf.com/united-states/texas/

Naima

Old 01-20-2021, 03:47 PM

Oh man this has turned into a beating.

Think I got bad numbers from the Riverbend place above, if not they are 2.5x more expensive than any other option.

It's looking like my best option would be to generate plans, send those to any of several TF companies who will then spec out the framing, wood needed, joinery etc. and either cut the timber near them and ship to me our send a cut and joinery list to a North Texas sawmill. Other places will more or less ship flat-pack kits but there seems to be very little cost advantage to doing so.

One place in CO. will send a man down to hand-work the joints and supervise assembly for a local GC or me if I act as GC.

Old 01-21-2021, 02:10 PM

230 posts, read 230,464 times
Yes, I found them to be extremely expensive, and thus, why I did not use them. The model's on the website are incredible, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas