Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:46 PM

3 posts, read 21,712 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone who has been accepted to pre-K Hockaday with Average CATS testing scores. Not the end of the world. Just curious if it’s ever been done. I understand high superior and 99th percentiles find themselves on waiting lists. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 06:59 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssl4791 View Post
Just wondering if anyone knows of anyone who has been accepted to pre-K Hockaday with Average CATS testing scores. Not the end of the world. Just curious if it’s ever been done. I understand high superior and 99th percentiles find themselves on waiting lists. Thanks in advance
Happens more than you would think. I’d say low to below average scores have little to no chance, beyond that all things are equal. There doesn’t seem to be a predictable outcome. I think, for the younger grades the parents themselves carry the most weight. But that’s just one person’s opinion which could be wrong.

ETA: Teacher evaluations also carry alot of weight.

Old 12-07-2017, 07:14 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
My kid only got one superior (verbal) and everything else was the next level (I don't remember the name of the next level).
Which was weird to me bc he was already reading level 1 and 2 books and doing math workbooks at home AND completing 300 piece puzzles (he was 4 years 1 day when he took the test).

But whatever...he got in.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:48 AM

36 posts, read 74,387 times
Quote:
While anything is possible, it is unlikely that your daughter will get in. The four factors used are CATS score, teacher evaluation, parent interview, and your daughter's school visit/evaluation. Hockaday teaches a grade higher compared to most other private schools, so it is a tough academic environment. The girls need a high degree of intelligence, and motivation to succeed at Hockaday.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,083,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKDFW View Post
While anything is possible, it is unlikely that your daughter will get in. The four factors used are CATS score, teacher evaluation, parent interview, and your daughter's school visit/evaluation. Hockaday teaches a grade higher compared to most other private schools, so it is a tough academic environment. The girls need a high degree of intelligence, and motivation to succeed at Hockaday.
Sorry but that’s Poppycock.

Anyone taking a CATS test is testing for a lower grade and for that group your assessment is just wrong. If the kid doesn’t get in it wont simply be due to an average CATS score. I know for a fact that girls with average scores get admitted to the lower school and its not that rare of an occurrence.

Op:

The test used by CATS scores based on the other test takers not the general public. The test is typically given to a self selecting group, usually utilized by competitive schools ( public or private) or those seeking to narrow down a child’s IQ for some reason. Therefore when they say your child had an ‘average’ score they mean average for the kids that took that test (kids thats are probably either attending competitive schools and took the test or are about to.) So another way to look at it is...your child is a lot like the other kids trying to get in to competitive schools. No worse, no better.

Last edited by BLDSoon; 12-07-2017 at 09:47 AM..

Old 12-07-2017, 10:20 AM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Do you mind passing on the scores?

Old 12-07-2017, 11:39 AM

Thank you all for your replies.
In reply to EDS - (girl was 3 yrs 11 mos) scores were
Verbal comprehension 109 (average)
Visual spatial 100 (average)
Working memory 118 (high average)
Full scale IQ 108 (average)

We already had her school visit/evaluation and our parent interview.
If it’s not meant to be we’re ok with that. She’s at our church preschool now and we’re in a good district as a back up. Thank you again!

Old 12-07-2017, 12:11 PM

19,777 posts, read 18,064,624 times
Quote:
Thank you all for your replies.
In reply to EDS - (girl was 3 yrs 11 mos) scores were
Verbal comprehension 109 (average)
Visual spatial 100 (average)
Working memory 118 (high average)
Full scale IQ 108 (average)

We already had her school visit/evaluation and our parent interview.
If it’s not meant to be we’re ok with that. She’s at our church preschool now and we’re in a good district as a back up. Thank you again!
Several things
A). You have a great attitude and you care so your kiddo is going to do well no matter what.
B). Your kiddo is very young. You can help her massage that full scale number up nicely over the next few years. Improving IQ much later on becomes more and more difficult. Assuming you are not doing these things now turn on the classical and jazz music, read to her, have her doodle, let her play with blocks - Tinker Toys - toy gear sets - etc. and work math problems- ask her math questions etc.

To your question I think your kiddo has a good shot.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:01 PM

791 posts, read 1,221,090 times
Anyone understand how the subtest scores relate to the full scale IQ? Our child’s FSIQ score was higher than (many) of the subtest scores. The CATS result report is pretty light on explanation/information.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Several things
A). You have a great attitude and you care so your kiddo is going to do well no matter what.
B). Your kiddo is very young. You can help her massage that full scale number up nicely over the next few years. Improving IQ much later on becomes more and more difficult. Assuming you are not doing these things now turn on the classical and jazz music, read to her, have her doodle, let her play with blocks - Tinker Toys - toy gear sets - etc. and work math problems- ask her math questions etc.

To your question I think your kiddo has a good shot.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: