Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 02:42 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times

Advertisements

Everything looks nice to me... as others mentioned the only thing that stands out like a sore thumb is the brass. Another suggestion to warm up the bathrooms is to do away with the full mirrors and do nice framed mirrors... but then again, with the bathrooms as nice as they are, it's probably not worth the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 02:50 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Everything looks nice to me... as others mentioned the only thing that stands out like a sore thumb is the brass. Another suggestion to warm up the bathrooms is to do away with the full mirrors and do nice framed mirrors... but then again, with the bathrooms as nice as they are, it's probably not worth the money.
Nah, easy and cheap fix really. You can replace the mirrors w/ framed ones if you watch the sales at places such as Hemisphere's (2 for 1). The ONLY thing is going to be: What is on the walls behind the mirrors. If the walls are textured and painted under there your good to go. If not...... texture and paint the whole bathroom. Still not terribly expensive. The brass has to go. Anything brass has to go. Brass dates a home really bad. I'd leave the tile floors and if you REALLY wanted to after changing out anything brass and replacing the mirrors if the vanity tops look good then leave them.

It is amazing how one can spend less than $10K BEFORE listing and command top dollar and make that money back. I've got friends that have even this month.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:42 PM

583 posts, read 2,634,126 times
Stargazer-

The rooms look lovely. I agree with removing as much brass as you can. I removed all of ours last year in our bathroom and I do think it helped. I then painted the bathroom Wicker by Eddie Bauer that you can buy at Lowes. It looked very spa like when we were done. I did not repaint the kids rooms. Seriously as long as it is not rainbow bright you would think people could look past pink paint. Good luck--I know it is stressful having strangers pick apart your home!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:44 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times
I don't know how to get the gold off the shower, can I find something to put over it?
The lights are can lights and a golden chandelier in the center. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The walls are skip trowel in there and fear that underneath the mirror is hideous wall paper. We found that to be the case one bathroom downstairs when we removed a towel rack. I have always loved a chocolate wall but already have that in the media room. I will have to think real hard and see what can match the yellow walls I already have in the master and not conflinct with the media room color.

Last edited by stargazer; 05-29-2008 at 03:52 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I don't know how to get the gold off the shower, can I find something to put over it?
The lights are can lights and a golden chandelier in the center. Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The walls are skip trowel in there and fear that underneath the mirror is hideous wall paper. We found that to be the case one bathroom downstairs when we removed a towel rack. I have always loved a chocolate wall but already have that in the media room. I will have to think real hard and see what can match the yellow walls I already have in the master and not conflinct with the media room color.
There are some paints nowadays that can work over the brass. I've not done them but have used the ones made for outdoors to repaint outdoor furniture and even now 3 years later being outside 365 days a year they still look like I just did them. Might give that a try so you don't have to replace all of the shower brass. Might ask the guys at Home Depot or Lowe's but I'd be betting it is going to involve A LOT of glass handling () and you DO NOT want a piece of THAT glass to break. Been down that road before and it has to be ordered.

Well, if your betting the walls under the mirrors are paper.......... getting rid of all the brass in the room might be just enough to spiff it up. If your really set on painting that room to coordinate w/ the master bedroom go back to your color chart when you did that one and go down a couple tones in the same family. It is almost the same gold color I have in my bedroom and my walls in the bathroom are dark red. With your blue tiles that would NOT work. Stay w/ the lighter gold and change out the brass and chrome fixtures to the oil rubbed bronzes. You have the red towels already to pull that in from the bed. Put some really TALL candle holders on the back side of the tub (something with some WEIGHT not just skinny candlestick holders). A nice grouping of 2-3 would be nice and "spa" like and set the tone for a quiet master retreat.

I agree about adding something on the walls in the master. I nice mirror over the dresser perhaps. I'm glad your ceilings are painted the same wall color to help the molding pop. We did that too and I LOVE IT!!! I can now actually SEE my moldings as they don't blend in w/ the white ceiling. Put a few "frou frou" pillows on the bed. Add something else to the nightstand. A small picture or framed writting that sits on a plate stand. Even a good book sitting there w/ maybe a candle on it. It is almost TOO decluttered. Can ya come to my house . Anyway, you want it to still look somewhat "homey" and inviting but not "personal".

Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM

663 posts, read 2,263,659 times
I don't care for the gold either, but as long as you price the house right, it should sell quickly, regardless of the fixtures. The new buyers will just change what they want to, anyway. I wouldn't waste too much time replacing and repainting.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold dust View Post
I don't care for the gold either, but as long as you price the house right, it should sell quickly, regardless of the fixtures. The new buyers will just change what they want to, anyway. I wouldn't waste too much time replacing and repainting.
It really doesn't cost that much. I've witnessed several homes go on the market at top dollar after doing some updating and have a contract pretty close to list w/in the first few weeks. Down the street from them the houses that the sellers did NOT do ANY updating, have been on the market for almost a year, dropped the price so low it is not even funny. Still sit for sale. We all joke that if it gets any lower we will buy it. Put a few bucks in it to update it and sell it. And I thought the days of flipping were over. But people/buyers DO want to see a house that is well taken care of. They are willing to pay top dollar for it too. The others are "priced right" for a bargain hunter and there is nothing really wrong w/ the house at all, just outdated fixtures. They don't sell. Not in this market.

Old 05-29-2008, 04:45 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
A salesperson who works in new subdivison told me recently that white cabinetry is out, dark is in, and that using any hardware on the cabinetry is out. They are also using dark antique- looking light fixtures and plumbing fixtures. Things sure change if you dont' pay attention for decade or so, I guess.....I hadn't noticed!

Your house is lovely and I don't see any 'decluttering' that needs to be done.....looks very clean and well cared for - that goes a long way to shoppers. Good look to you in selling.............

Last edited by GayleTX; 05-29-2008 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-29-2008, 04:57 PM

172 posts, read 509,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
A salesperson who works in new subdivisons told me recently that white cabinetry is out, dark is in, and that using any hardware on the cabinetry is out. They are also using dark antique- looking light fixtures and plumbing fixtures. Things sure change if you dont' pay attention for decade or so, I guess.....I hadn't noticed!

Your house is lovely and I don't see any 'decluttering' that needs to be done.....looks very clean and well cared for - that goes a long way to shoppers. Good look to you in selling.............
I always thought cabinetry colors was a matter of personal preference. For instance, I can't stand dark mocha colored cabinets. But I guess I was wrong, thanks for the info.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,621,878 times
Hi,

Gorgeous house.

Here are my suggestions:

From the looks of it, you have mirrored glass frames around your mirrors so you don't need to add any extra framing around your mirrors. The brass definitely dates the house. I would get an estimate for having a frameless shower put in and I would change out the light fixture to a nickel or whatever your bath faucet is and also make your sink faucets match. Ideally, I would change the floor, too. Even a white ceramic can look great with a nice area rug thrown on top of it--so little punches of color can do the trick in having an all white bathroom.

I would change out any brass light fixtures in the house. Lowe's or Home Depot have some great ones at great prices.

Good luck! Your home is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas