Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2007, 04:44 PM

58 posts, read 250,406 times

Advertisements

My family (including 2 young children) is looking to move into the north dallas area (Flower Mound, Carrollton, Lewisville, The Colony, Farmers Branch, Addison, etc.), but I don't know much about the family atmosphere of these areas, as well as the school districts (very important) and recreation opportunities, and shopping availability....any advice from someone who knows this area well would be greatly appreciated. Also, what area would be good for someone having to commute into Dallas schools? (I'm a teacher).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 05:10 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,161,117 times
Plano and Frisco schools are well regarded and you would be able to commute on the Dallas North Tollway or Central Expressway into Dallas for work. Flower Mound is a very nice area too and the schools are very good. It's in the Lewisville ISD as is Highland Village which is another nice area with homes backing up to Lake Lewisville. Your commute would involve taking either I-35 South or Hwy 114 from near its intersection with Hwy 121 at Grapevine Mills Mall on into Dallas.

There are actually many many areas you could consider...north Carrollton which is also in the Lewisville ISD, Coppell with Coppell ISD and Allen with Allen ISD. Richardson ISD and Garland ISD are also well regarded. All these areas mentioned are very family oriented and parents are very involved with school activities.

Also, check out www.greatschools.net to see each of these areas and judge them for yourself.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:50 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,422,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchrmom View Post
My family (including 2 young children) is looking to move into the north dallas area (Flower Mound, Carrollton, Lewisville, The Colony, Farmers Branch, Addison, etc.), but I don't know much about the family atmosphere of these areas, as well as the school districts (very important) and recreation opportunities, and shopping availability....any advice from someone who knows this area well would be greatly appreciated. Also, what area would be good for someone having to commute into Dallas schools? (I'm a teacher).
You should try and check out the southern side of the Metroplex. This side is very hilly and full of trees.

If you do decide coming down here, I suggest you try and go into Arlington I.S.D. or Mansfield I.S.D. If you end up in Arlington I.S.D., stay west of Cooper and try and get your kids into Wood Elementary (97% in Reading, 95% in Math), or Miller (94% in Reading, 89% in Math). Make sure your high school is Martin High School (the school I go to), too. You won't be disappointed. Arlington has the Parks Mall which is huge. And a lot of new development south of I-20.

If not South Arlington, try Mansfield. Mansfield is almost like Frisco, Flower Mound, etc. There is a new mall about to go up, and the area is real new. The schools down there are great, and the commute into Downtown Fort Worth is not bad at all (Highway 287 on up). There is a larger family atmosphere there than in Arlington (Arlington has 364,000 people), but southern Arlington and Mansfield blend in.

I like this side better. Looks very nice and not flat like the northern side of the Metroplex. We have Lake Arlington and Joe Pool Lake on this side, too. Joe Pool Lake has to be the most scenic lake in the metroplex (hills help).

Last edited by Guerilla; 01-07-2007 at 07:18 PM..

Old 01-07-2007, 06:52 PM

58 posts, read 250,406 times
Thanks Guerilla...haven't thought much about the southern areas, but you do bring up some great locations. Thanks for the input! Being from Austin, I do like my hills!

Old 01-07-2007, 07:18 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,422,967 times
Check out http://www.nctcog.org for a lot more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas