Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 07:21 PM

328 posts, read 471,337 times

Advertisements

Some of these are easy, many are downright tough. See how many you can get right.

1. This Dallas DJ was one of the creators of the Top 40 format that took America by storm in the 50s. Name him, the radio station, and frequency.
2. What AM station (with frequency) did Mark E. Baby work for? What was his real name?
3. List three 70s-era rock-and-roll FM stations and their frequencies. Extra points if you can name their on-air nicknames. (I can remember two of the three.)
4. Fill in the blank: “Soul Sockin’ ___.” What was the station and frequency?
5. What Fort Worth AM station (and frequency) was awarded a “clear channel” position on the dial that allowed it to be heard in almost the entire continental United States at night? What do the station’s letters stand for? It has the distinction of being one of the few stations west of the Mississippi whose call sign ___ (fill in the blank). Name the “Midnight Cowboy.”
6. What do WFAA’s letters reportedly stand for?
7. Who was the star of Slam Bang Theater? What was his real name? What station was he on?
8. Where were 1849 Village and European Crossroads located?
9. What was the “fancy shmancy” version of Tom Thumb called that operated briefly at the intersection of Skillman Street and Abrams Road in Dallas?
10. Fill in the blanks for this Dallas department store jingle. “You can always tell a ___ ___ man.”
11. Who hand-twisted her dough, then rode her bike to sell her bread to neighbors?
12. Easy: Mac’s House, The Farmer’s Daughter, Jimmy Dip’s and Carriage House were in what city?
13. What Fort Worth barbecue restaurant used to have sawdust on the floor before it was outlawed? Beer is served at double-price after what time?
14. What famous Fort Worth Stockyards restaurant institution was famous for its “cow fries”?
15. Who is the namesake of the landmark Fort Worth clubs Spencer’s Palace and Spencer’s Corner?
16. What did you ride to get to Leonard Brothers Department Store in Fort Worth? Need the name.
17. I’ve saved the hardest one for last. Bill Martin opened what seafood restaurant in Fort Worth in 1957? When it and the other locations eventually closed their doors, he opened up three more seafood restaurants in Fort Worth, with three different names. What were their names and what streets were they on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
I'll try a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
Some of these are easy, many are downright tough. See how many you can get right.

1. This Dallas DJ was one of the creators of the Top 40 format that took America by storm in the 50s. Name him, the radio station, and frequency. Ron Chapman ? 1190am ?

2. What AM station (with frequency) did Mark E. Baby work for? What was his real name?

3. List three 70s-era rock-and-roll FM stations and their frequencies. Extra points if you can name their on-air nicknames. (I can remember two of the three.) The big one was the Zoo 102, Still around is 92.5

5. What Fort Worth AM station (and frequency) was awarded a “clear channel” position on the dial that allowed it to be heard in almost the entire continental United States at night? What do the station’s letters stand for? It has the distinction of being one of the few stations west of the Mississippi whose call sign ___ (fill in the blank). Name the “Midnight Cowboy.” WBAP

6. What do WFAA’s letters reportedly stand for? Worlds Finest Air Attraction

7. Who was the star of Slam Bang Theater? What was his real name? What station was he on? Icky Twerp Channell 11 KTVT

8. Where were 1849 Village and European Crossroads located? Northwest Highway... Remember the Beggars club ? All you could drink for $7

9. What was the “fancy shmancy” version of Tom Thumb called that operated briefly at the intersection of Skillman Street and Abrams Road in Dallas? Randalls ?
10. Fill in the blanks for this Dallas department store jingle. “You can always tell a ___ ___ man.”

11. Who hand-twisted her dough, then rode her bike to sell her bread to neighbors? Mrs Bairds. Remember the Baird Farm in North Arlington ? And smelling the bread from the factoru at Summit in FW ?

12. Easy: Mac’s House, The Farmer’s Daughter, Jimmy Dip’s and Carriage House were in what city? Fot Woth (properly said with no R's)

13. What Fort Worth barbecue restaurant used to have sawdust on the floor before it was outlawed? Beer is served at double-price after what time? Angelos

14. What famous Fort Worth Stockyards restaurant institution was famous for its “cow fries”? Cattlemans Steak house ?

15. Who is the namesake of the landmark Fort Worth clubs Spencer’s Palace and Spencer’s Corner?

16. What did you ride to get to Leonard Brothers Department Store in Fort Worth? Need the name. The Subway. name ?? Leonards sold to Dillards

17. I’ve saved the hardest one for last. Bill Martin opened what seafood restaurant in Fort Worth in 1957? When it and the other locations eventually closed their doors, he opened up three more seafood restaurants in Fort Worth, with three different names. What were their names and what streets were they on?
The original Bill Martins was on Montgomery St and also on I-35 south in FW. Don't recall the names

Name the most famous Ft Worth murder... Cullen Davis

Old 05-02-2012, 11:06 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
10. You can always tell a Sanger Harris Man.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:39 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
1. Gordon McClendon ~ KLIF 1190
9. Simon David

Last edited by DitsyD; 05-03-2012 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: adding answer

Old 05-03-2012, 08:59 AM

44 posts, read 73,335 times
2. KFJZ AM1270 (I think the number is right!);
8. 1849 Village. Wasn't that on university Dr. right north of the Trinity?..:
16. M&O Subway. Marvin and Oby (sp?) Leonard initials:
17. I can only remember Bill Martins and Bill and Marty Martins. The ones that I remember were on Sycamore School Road and I35...another location was south of Burleson on the east side of I35.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:35 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
4. "Soul-sockin' 73"

Old 05-04-2012, 01:14 PM

1,548 posts, read 3,032,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post

1. This Dallas DJ was one of the creators of the Top 40 format that took America by storm in the 50s. Name him, the radio station, and frequency.
3. List three 70s-era rock-and-roll FM stations and their frequencies. Extra points if you can name their on-air nicknames. (I can remember two of the three.)
5. What Fort Worth AM station (and frequency) was awarded a “clear channel” position on the dial that allowed it to be heard in almost the entire continental United States at night? What do the station’s letters stand for? It has the distinction of being one of the few stations west of the Mississippi whose call sign ___ (fill in the blank). Name the “Midnight Cowboy.”
6. What do WFAA’s letters reportedly stand for?
7. Who was the star of Slam Bang Theater? What was his real name? What station was he on?
8. Where were 1849 Village and European Crossroads located?
9. What was the “fancy shmancy” version of Tom Thumb called that operated briefly at the intersection of Skillman Street and Abrams Road in Dallas?
11. Who hand-twisted her dough, then rode her bike to sell her bread to neighbors?
12. Easy: Mac’s House, The Farmer’s Daughter, Jimmy Dip’s and Carriage House were in what city?
13. What Fort Worth barbecue restaurant used to have sawdust on the floor before it was outlawed? Beer is served at double-price after what time?
14. What famous Fort Worth Stockyards restaurant institution was famous for its “cow fries”?
16. What did you ride to get to Leonard Brothers Department Store in Fort Worth? Need the name.
Best thread since I've been on the TX board. Thanks for starting it! I don't know a single answer, but I love learning the history of my new town.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:24 AM

164 posts, read 590,156 times
Here's a couple of questions:
"Don't cook tonight, call ______ _____!"

"What are ya watching?". "Channel ___"

Old 05-05-2012, 11:09 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Here's a couple of questions:
"Don't cook tonight, call ______ _____!"

"What are ya watching?". "Channel ___"
call Chicken Delight. I had a friend who delivered for them; I remember once his '59 Ford broke down a couple of blocks from my house. We had a major feast.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:27 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
My turn:

1) name the steakhouse that claimed to have the "world's largest salad bar".
2) What area lake had a popular 2 decker tour boat in the late '50s and early '60s? Name of boat?
3) what used to sit on the site of the soccer fields just east of Sam's Club on NW Highway?

NO GOOGLING (cheating)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas