Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 05:01 PM

27 posts, read 94,466 times

Advertisements

Dallas is definitely a city situated for the working class: working poor, working middle, and working rich. Recent retirees move for a myriad of reasons, but climate is certainly one of them. Dallas is sunny and temperate, no doubt. A friend of mine is trapped in his house in -40s weather in Minnesota right now (yes, that is a negative sign). And it is sunny and 45 here in the middle of January! Woo hoo! But that is still pretty cold to go out and stroll around your neighborhood. And it freezes here. (Cover your outdoor faucets tonight, folks.) If you're moving to get away from cold, why would you go to a place that has intermittent cold - and really hard rain? But if you're already here, why would you leave? Dallas has a lot to offer. The relatively reasonable cost of living (92.7:100) is great and if you are retiring, you probably own your home already. We get 232 days of sunshine each year, so no worries about SADS or other seasonal-affective problems.

Now if you're not retiring, think about this: there are 1.06 million jobs in Dallas (City of) and only 1.2 million residents. All we have to do is kick out the folks from the exurbs working here and there will be plenty of jobs for everyone. (Joke.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM

5 posts, read 7,749 times
Let's not get too carried away- there are rich folks in TX. Dallas has its share of 'financially endowed' persons. Really, a lot of rich people (American rich) are just like us- they want family and meaning. If you build a business in TX over your lifetime why scurry off to Monaco to live. It ain't 'home'..

But I think what you're really after is the type of rich person. There is something of a cowboy capital in Texas. An insular attitude which is perhaps left over from the south's great debacle. For example in San Francisco it was announced that Stanford just got 100 million from its masters which will go to 'green' research.

The cowboy has taken a massive hit and Texas better learn to adapt.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:12 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWGoner View Post
Let's not get too carried away- there are rich folks in TX. Dallas has its share of 'financially endowed' persons. Really, a lot of rich people (American rich) are just like us- they want family and meaning. If you build a business in TX over your lifetime why scurry off to Monaco to live. It ain't 'home'..

But I think what you're really after is the type of rich person. There is something of a cowboy capital in Texas. An insular attitude which is perhaps left over from the south's great debacle. For example in San Francisco it was announced that Stanford just got 100 million from its masters which will go to 'green' research.

The cowboy has taken a massive hit and Texas better learn to adapt.
Im confused by your analogy? Can you elaborate?

Old 01-19-2009, 10:21 AM

624 posts, read 1,247,664 times
Default confusing thoughts

Stanford gets 100 million to go green ? hahahahahaha What does that mean? and who cares what Californians think, the state is broke and people are moving out.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:17 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,127 times
lol @ a census data sheet being considered accurate. I worked for the census bureau for a short time. If you knew how census data was collected you'd be astounded. The census is garbage.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
All these survey are just essentially popular folklore - one perspective through a thousand-sided looking glass. All have an element of truth and an element of spin, hype etc. I think they are fun too read and talk about, but who but God really has the complete global perspective? And according to George Burns, God has no idea Himself either! It's interesting how many of us from many different places and backgrounds enlighten each other. City-Data forums are a true wealth of knowledge about this world.

One thing I've caught on to regarding these great studies is that major grants are given to celebrities of academia and like everyone else in the world, the well meaning foundations often don't quite get the bang for the buck perhaps they ought to. Like the million dollars spent to examine cow belching (http://www.ecoworld.com/blog/editor/muhawi/2008/09/05/cow-burps-problematic/ - broken link) effects on the upper atmosphere. That, and many many like it, I often think are gratuitous endowments provided to certain pet researchers of dubious scientific qualification. Like someone who gets a half mil to go study why the sand in Bermuda is pink. Sit on the beach for six months and write the thesis.

I've come to believe the whole world is actually just a hoax and if Harvard ever looked into it and found it was true we all might realize that we're all just a figment of our own imagination.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/79702c69a96ba31ae09ffeebd510d30b6g.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-20-2009, 04:53 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,785 times
What's that big pattern about? I am suppossed to see something?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:50 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,478,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
What's that big pattern about? I am suppossed to see something?
It's to suggest that things aren't necessarily as they seem depending on your perspective. Try scrolling the window as you look at it. I took the photo at the Dallas Museum of Nature and Science. They have a whole room full of those and they are cooler in real life. Natural relativity!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:10 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Stanford gets 100 million to go green ? hahahahahaha What does that mean? and who cares what Californians think, the state is broke and people are moving out.
lol yea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: