Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2009, 07:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,885 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving from Cleveland to Dallas. I have a 13 year old son so high school and activies is very important. I will most likely transfer with my job which is a major telecommunications company and has a headquarters in Dallas. My commute is not as important as schools are. I have friends there who have their own opinion but wanted to see what others thought. What is the best city to move into, with the best schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 08:03 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,516,572 times
Here is a post I did that ranked the school districts by what percentage of free and reduced lunch kids they had and then I put the district's overall TAKS average there. The best score on TAKS is 100. TAKS is a test that is taken yearly between 3-8th grades and then once in high school as an exit test. It tests reading, math, science, social studies, writing.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...-averages.html

You have to be careful with school district boundaries though. They don't necessarily follow city boundaries.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:17 PM

66 posts, read 243,278 times
There are many wonderful areas, and many great schools, but price is a big factor. Commute will ruin your life, so I would actually try to give that some thought, as it probably won't be that hard for you find a good school within an acceptable commuting distance. PM me and I can give you some more specific info and access to some school info.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:58 PM

37,309 posts, read 60,088,413 times
asking a question like that is like asking if fried eggs are better than scrambled
it just depends on your taste and who is doing the cooking

if your son has special interest/abilities you should take those into consideration
Dallas ISD itself does have some excellent magnet schools which are open to those who qualify by admission standards...and the rest of the district varies greatly

there are some districts that are better in some areas than others like math or the arts or music...
there is no way to tell now where you might be working--Dallas is HUGH--if there is any possiblity you might be sent anyplace but your headquarters, you might get set on ISD that is really terrible commute from your job site...
and of course price--taxes will be higher here even if other factors might be better...
check out the districts that have high % of commended students within their population--that means the better than avg scores..
some schools that get recognized don't always have high % of commended...they just have more homogeneous, middle-class student body...
check out schools with high numbers of National Merit Semi-Finalists/Finalists--in Dallas area that would be Plano ISD by far, then probably Coppell or Lewisville ISDs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas