Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 7,817 times

Advertisements

My family is moving to Dallas from the northeast. I've got a long list of things I'd like in a place to live, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for someplace that might come close. As of now, commute is not an issue. My dream place would have:
- good schools (three kids under five)
- 3 or 4 bedroom homes in the $300,000 to $350,000 range
- community pool and playground
- someplace to walk to, like a coffee shop or grocery store
- rolling hills
- lots of kids and good community feel
- good size backyard
- old trees
Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 08:58 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,383,191 times
Southlake fits many of your preferences, although not in Dallas.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:12 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,485,010 times
Try Fairview.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:40 AM

4 posts, read 7,817 times
Thanks! It doesn't need to be in Dallas proper. We've also been thinking of McKinney, Allen, etc.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,538,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsatnight View Post
Thanks! It doesn't need to be in Dallas proper. We've also been thinking of McKinney, Allen, etc.

Don't think there is rolling hills in Allen...McKinney might have a few.....

I could be wrong

Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 AM

20 posts, read 62,659 times
Quote:
My family is moving to Dallas from the northeast. I've got a long list of things I'd like in a place to live, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for someplace that might come close. As of now, commute is not an issue. My dream place would have:
- rolling hills
- good size backyard
- old trees
That's actually asking quite a bit.
1. Not a lot of places with rolling hills in DFW. If that is important you'll want to look along the north/south axis line of the White Rock Escarpment that runs from Hebron, Oak Cliff, Cockrell Hill and Cedar Hill, but I doubt you'll find what you like there. Some very nice areas in that respect in Cedar Hill around Lake Ridge that you might like.
2. old trees. good luck with that one. DFW was mostly prairie land a long time ago. the older, mature grand trees (like live oak) are going to be mostly within 10 miles of downtown dallas. Again, Cedar Hill might be an exception because of the many native Eastern Redcedar trees (as well as Mesquite trees) that have been there a long time.
3. community pool, lots of kids and good community feel. There are some around like that. Check out Wellington(?) neighborhood in Flower Mound. I REALLY like that neighborhood.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
Southlake fits many of your preferences, although not in Dallas.
Southlake is very pricey. I'm not sure that you'll get what you want in the 300,000 to 350,000 price range, but it's worth looking at.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post
Don't think there is rolling hills in Allen...McKinney might have a few.....

I could be wrong
Nor is Allen/Mckinney/Frisco going to have a lot of old, mature trees. It's a newer, growing suburb. It tends to be popular with folks coming in from out of state. I think maybe realtors steer people in that direction. There is somewhat of an oversupply of homes out there now. So whatever you buy there now will probably not carry a robust value in the short to mid term. That is going to be said of a lot of homes now. Just remember that the further out you go from Dallas, the more volatile home values will be especially in the current economic and housing climate.

Typically the most popular "family" neighborhoods for affluent WASPs are outside of "the belt" (hwy 635 loop) and north of I-30

Old 05-01-2009, 08:15 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,918,805 times
Quote:
- rolling hills
- good size backyard
- old trees

Not one single one of the places mentioned has everything your looking for. It is actually going to be hard to get everything on this list in one spot in this area. Most important thing is: WHERE IS YOUR JOB? How long do you want your commute to be? Some of these places mentioned if your working downtown it is going to be over an hour commute in rush hour. Being that your trying to find such a "family friendly" environment I doubt having a long commute and time away from your family will be the best thing.

Most of the places that are going to have the community pool are not going to be in areas w/ good sized backyards and mature large trees. The places w/ the mature large trees and good sized backyards are not going to be within walking distance to a coffee shop around the corner or a neighborhood market. Very few areas have rolling hills. Rockwall has some and a lake to boot with a good family environment as well as great schools. But if your working out by the airport this would be a pain of a commute. Most of the areas in the metroplex are going to have plenty of kids in the area. The Dallas Metroplex is pretty good when it comes to being family friendly.

If you can forgo the community pool then I'd look in Lake Highlands. You will find great parks, great community feel w/ a lot of kids, houses in your price range (older homes though), larger lots, mature large trees, new developments coming in that one might be able to walk to for a cup of coffee and good schools. There is a Y in the Lake Highlands area that has a pool and then of course all of the membership gyms that are popular that cater to even families and become a community gathering spot. As I mentioned earlier, Rockwall would also have some of it and some areas do have a community pool. Just won't be around the corner from the neighborhood grocery or coffee shop.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:31 AM

563 posts, read 3,745,967 times
Hackberry creek in Irving? Its a gated golf community and the price range could be right. I don't know about any natural hills but it is landscaped to the hilt. I think they have a website you can have a look at. CFBISD schools which are pretty good.
Old trees are not that big of a problem but be prepared that these are stumpy little trees compared to the North. I was stunned at the short little oaks. After a while, of course, they seem big enough
I agree with the previous poster that with a communty pool and big yard you are not going to be in walking distance of much at all. However, down here many of the homes have their own pools so if you can give up the community pool your other criteria might be more easily met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas