Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM

33 posts, read 112,088 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I just came back last night from a trip out to Allen and McKinney looking for homes. Love the areas and would be close enough for my retiring parents-in-law out in Frisco Lakes.

I have several questions that I would like some help on if you don't mind.

1. What would be an average cost (I know depending on usage) for gas and electric for a "newer" 5000 sq.ft. house?
2. What is a homestead exemption?
3. Are there public golf courses out in/near Stonebridge Ranch?
4. Anyone know where I can find a lot map of the Del Webb community out in Frisco?
5. Are there local job boards for computer jobs that are better than Dice or CareerBuilder? (.net, c#, web stuff)
6. What would be the fees for using a public golf course out in Twin Creeks?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 12:13 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,347 times
1. What would be an average cost (I know depending on usage) for gas and electric for a "newer" 5000 sq.ft. house?
Wow that's a BIG house....Electric for my tiny 3000 sqft home reached over $600.00 during the summer and around $200.00 in the winter. As for the gas it was between $80.00 - $200.00 from summer to winter. And my thermo was on LOCK control.
It is a form to LOCK your home value for a period of time so your taxes don't go up. You should always recommend doing this.
Probably
4. Anyone know where I can find a lot map of the Del Webb community out in Frisco?
Try asking someone in one of the show homes.
5. Are there local job boards for computer jobs that are better than Dice or CareerBuilder? (.net, c#, web stuff)
I am sure there is....
6. What would be the fees for using a public golf course out in Twin Creeks
Not sure

Old 04-16-2009, 12:28 PM

937 posts, read 2,906,728 times
Westridge is a public course in McKinney. There are also some courses in Frisco like Frisco Lakes.

The homestead exemption lowers your property taxes by reducing the taxable value of your home. You can check how much it lowers the taxes on the county appraisal district website. I believe you would be looking for the collin county appraisal district website.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:02 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtaheer View Post
6. What would be the fees for using a public golf course out in Twin Creeks?

Thanks
I'm not in Allen, McKinney or Collin County but roughly the same size house.

1. My electric bill has hit right at $1100 for one month. That INCLUDES my water and sewer since I'm with GP&L and our elec & water are all on the same bill. Gas is lower and is anywhere from $30-250 with it being the lowest in the summer. Now, my husband likes the house very comfortable and that means in the summer our thermostat may be set to 72 around the clock. All ceiling fans on 24/7 and kids running in and out.

2. You file the Homestead Exemption w/ the county tax appraisals office after you buy your house. This is super easy. Then you are alloted the homestead exemption on your property for the remainder of the time you own it as your PRIMARY residence. Each taxing entity gives a different amount/percentage for the homestead exemption. You should be able to find out exactly what the exemptions are on the Collin County Appraisers website (I can't remember the website address for it but you can find the link on Dallas counties at Dallas Central Appraisal District).

3. Yes, but I don't know the name of them. There are a lot of really good public golf courses in the Dallas Metroplex. Some of the private ones are owned by the same group and often times you can find a package to buy that allows you so many rounds of golf on one of their private courses for a certain price (usually sold for fundraisers and such and can be very good buys). I know The Shores out in Rockwall often has these kinds of things w/ the golf courses that are owned by the same company they are. I believe Los Rios is one and they are not that far from Allen/McKinney.

4. The sales office should be able to help you with this. You might also find it on their website.

5. I have no idea.

6. Varies with each golf course. They usually have it listed on their websites.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:30 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtaheer View Post

You should have a pretty good energy package from the builder. Most builders in Twin Creeks are putting in 14 seer AC or higher. Depending on the layout of the home you may need more than 2 units or dedicated units for certain areas such as the media room (it can get warm in there when there are a lot of peeps). Standard radiant barrier (except for Standard Pacific Homes, it's an upgrade with them and it's the spray one), of course low E windows. Solar screens on some of the windows help tremendously, vinyl windows instead of aluminum. I would think that a regular bill would be 350-450 and up to $700 in the summer (July/August). We have 4600SF so that is what I'm basing it on. I like it cool 69-70, husband likes it 73-75 so we're always playing ping pong with the thermostat. Also, we both office a lot from home so something is always pulling energy.

The highest gas bill has been $300. (heat in winter, fireplace, water heater and clothes dryer).

Check this thread: http://www.city-data.com/forum/dallas/522566-homestead-act-texas.html

-Westridge was mentioned located at Custer and Virginia Parkway.
-Ridgeview Ranch in Plano at 121 & Custer http://www.ridgeviewgc.com
- A further east of 75, there is the Municipal Golf course

4. Anyone know where I can find a lot map of the Del Webb community out in Frisco? I don't have a current one. I will research and upload a new one tomorrow.

http://dallas.computerwork.com/
http://www.dallasrecruiter.com/index.php
http://www.tech-centric.net/

6. What would be the fees for using a public golf course out in Twin Creeks? Here's the link with the rates: http://www.twincreeksgolf.com/layout9.asp?id=9&page=96

Thanks
Naima

Old 05-10-2009, 06:32 AM

33 posts, read 112,088 times
Awesome, thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: