Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2007, 08:19 PM

5 posts, read 19,799 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information on schools in the area that specialize in children with developmental disabilities? My son has an autisitic spectrum diagnosis and we would like to send him to a school that is similar to what he is in now. He will be four in two weeks. Right now he is attending a school here in florida where 50% of the kids in his class have developmental disabilities (autism, downs syndrome, mentally challenged) and the other 50% or typically developed or "normal" for lack of a better word. I am trying to find a program like this in dallas. I found the Rise School, but over $800 a month is not what I am looking to spend on a 4-year-olds education if I don't have to. He is so high functioning that he would be fine in a regular pre-k program, but these kind of schools are just spectacular.

So, anyone know of any schools like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 09:06 PM

25 posts, read 108,901 times
You can also check Shelton school which is on Hillcrest and Arapaho. Here's their website: www.shelton.org Hope it helps. And wish you luck!

Old 01-21-2007, 06:08 PM

92 posts, read 761,471 times
Bayles Elementary in Dallas ISD had some really good write ups in the past for their work with autistic children.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:50 PM

18 posts, read 86,165 times
I live in SC and have a child with Aspergers. Our Speical Education system has a ways to go as of yet.
There is an incredible online option for these kids. Florida Virtual School.
Check them out.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:43 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Shelton School takes kids with average to above average IQ who have dyslexia, dysgraphia, ADHD, and some high functioning Aspergers.

The Rise School is the only one I know of for developmental disabilities.

There is a website for private schools in DFW. Welcome to The Web Guide To Dallas and Fort Worth Private Schools If you go to that website, click "home" and then click "school quest" you will find a search engine. Select Alternative schools and it will give you a list if schools that are considered alternative for some reason or another.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:36 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,144,713 times
The Shelton School will also perform learning differences testing, to identify areas where your student may not learn optimally from the "standard" teaching methods used in school. There is a fee for this testing, but as a home-school parent, we found it to be well worth the expense.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:24 AM

4 posts, read 14,838 times
I hope you found a school! I am new to this message board and just noticed you posted in Jan. I work with children who have Autism at The Village Church near Dallas. I am also opening a school this month for children with all needs. It will be for children who have disabilities as well mainstream children. We can all learn for each other. Right now it is from infants-age 3 because that is the biggest need for parents. At age 3 the government takes over and ECI can help you. I believe it is a free service to you. Even if your child is high functioning you can still receive financial support. If we expand our age for our school I would love the opportunity to see if it would be a good fit for your son and your family. For Babies Name Sake - Home I would also like to learn from you about what works best with your child. Because you can read all the books in the world and go to all the seminars they can offer, but at the end of the day, the parent is the expert and that is who I would like to learn from. I hope and pray you have found a wonderful school that has taken your son in and gives him all the love and education he deserves!

Old 09-03-2007, 01:08 PM
pfw

186 posts, read 848,915 times
Have you looked at Oak Hill Academy on Midway?

Old 09-03-2007, 01:20 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,599 times
Chase's Place is supposedly an excellent school that focuses primarily on autism. I'm not sure how much it costs, but it might be worth looking into.

Home*-*Chase's Place

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: