Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:09 AM

83 posts, read 211,203 times

Advertisements

Since the Dallas Morning News has not kept up to the 21st century by providing an e-paper subscription in PDF format I must post this here. They don't even mail the DMN paper out to Albuquerque either. :-(

What are the apartment prices like for a one bedroom apartment within Dallas itself and outside of Dallas like Carrollton, Plano, Richardson, Mesquite, etc.? I need to know so I know what to expect there when we move to the area in one year. My wife and I will be living in the apartment. We have no kids either.

My wife and I are starting our teaching careers in the Dallas area. I have checked the salaries in the Dallas area and they are all over $45,000 to start. Between us we'd make $90,000 per year so we could afford a nice one bedroom apartment.

Thanks!

Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; 06-27-2009 at 11:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 AM

1,621 posts, read 4,598,964 times
They range from a lot to a little.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for and do you know where you'll be working? The towns you've listed differ dramatically.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:26 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
Also a max price wouold be helpful to people who can tell you where you could get a place for XXX dollars..

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-27-2009 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: clarified

Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
They range from a lot to a little.

What kind of neighborhood are you looking for and do you know where you'll be working? The towns you've listed differ dramatically.
My wife and I don't mind living within the city - in fact it probably would be more beneficial to do so since we like going out to restaurants, etc. She is from the Los Angeles area so she likes the big city feel of Dallas. Me? I am adaptable since I come from the prairies (Winnipeg, Canada). I like the city of Dallas and I like to be around lots of trees and grass. For me that is important. When we were in the area last month I noticed that Richardson has TONS of trees. I like that very much.

I just need to know the general range of prices in Dallas and the surrounding areas. Once the Dallas Morning News gets their act together regarding an e-subscription or mailing the paper to another city, I will be able to get more information.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Also a max price wouold be helpful to people who can tell you where you could get a place for XXX dollars..
I would not want to pay more than $1000 a month. Anything more than that would be way too much IMO.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:23 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,814,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macintosh Sauce View Post
Since the Dallas Morning News has not kept up to the 21st century by providing an e-paper subscription in PDF format I must post this here. They don't even mail the DMN paper out to Albuquerque either. :-(

What are the apartment prices like for a one bedroom apartment within Dallas itself and outside of Dallas like Carrollton, Plano, Richardson, Mesquite, etc.? I need to know so I know what to expect there when we move to the area in one year. My wife and I will be living in the apartment. We have no kids either.

My wife and I are starting our teaching careers in the Dallas area. I have checked the salaries in the Dallas area and they are all over $45,000 to start. Between us we'd make $90,000 per year so we could afford a nice one bedroom apartment.

Thanks!

Here is a useful DMN link to find dfw rentals by location or by zip... for either those apartments listed by apartment.com or those apartments (and/or any other type of rental) listed in the daily classified section of the DMN:

Homes | Rentals: Homes, Apartments, Townhomes | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Note that this link also will give you a synopsis of the area and type of renters for each.

Good hunting!

Old 06-28-2009, 03:32 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,960,664 times
good luck with finding that teaching job as well...

Old 06-28-2009, 09:30 AM

24 posts, read 72,223 times
teaching in dallas? everyone is getting laid off, this is a baddd place to start that career.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BstYet2Be View Post
Here is a useful DMN link to find dfw rentals by location or by zip... for either those apartments listed by apartment.com or those apartments (and/or any other type of rental) listed in the daily classified section of the DMN:

Homes | Rentals: Homes, Apartments, Townhomes | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Note that this link also will give you a synopsis of the area and type of renters for each.

Good hunting!
Thank you for the link - much appreciated.

Old 06-28-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
good luck with finding that teaching job as well...
Thanks.

My wife will have an easier time finding a position because she is going to be a special education teacher. But I have an advantage over many teachers - I am a computer expert in both Mac OS X and Windows - I am actually a Computer Analyst/Programmer. That will help me a lot when looking for a position after I do my student teaching phase next year. You'd be amazed at how many teachers that are not computer literate. It kind of shocked me when I found out.

Honestly, I am not worried about finding a position as a secondary Social Science teacher because there are a lot of school districts in the DFW area. Where I work now as a substitute teacher, I was finally recognized for all the hard work I have done in the last two years. In May I received a very nice certificate of appreciation from this high school I've been working at. Feels nice that someone has finally noticed...

Last edited by Macintosh Sauce; 06-28-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas